Cave Story FanArt

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:15 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I've been working on this one for about two days or so inbetween college and freight work at Target, Think it's worth finishing?

p22602-0-final1.png

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:19 PM
Apr 8, 2010 at 1:37 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Apr 8, 2010 at 4:58 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
@Volley

It looks really nice, especially the textures.

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:10 PM
andwhyisit said:
One word: Yes.

xD Thank you, I've been lacking a little motivation to to finish it for a while now.

Do you think that I should have it pan out downward more to show a bit of Balrog's face, or do you think that it's better that I not distract from the (to be added) ghostly silhouettes of King and Toroko?

carrotlord said:
@Volley

It looks really nice, especially the textures.

I'm really happy to hear that, I've only been working on contour-less shading for a while now ever since i started up college and it's already paying off what I've learned in my art classes to define muscle and form.

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:28 PM
Been here way too long...
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Volley said:
I've been working on this one for about two days or so inbetween college and freight work at Target, Think it's worth finishing?

p22602-0-final1.png

hoooooooly sadlfj

this is really really *really* good, man. I adore your style, I can't even explain how great both Quote and Curly look and how much it just works--from the colors to the poses you chose.

I really love Quote's expression, it reminds me of how I pictured his sprite in the PC version when I first saw it. Curly's drawn in a way that's really beautiful in a way not many artists have ever captured--usually they make her fluffy and cute or try to make her 'sexy' in a way that I can't quite grasp or appreciate, but I *adore* how she looks here.

*edit* Oh, and to respond to your stuff:
I'm kinda on the fence as to whether or not you should show Balrog's face. I think it's fine how it is, maybe make it slightly more apparent that they're riding on him in the first place, like, obvious that they're over an ocean or whatever; but while Balrog's mug would kind of detract from the mood, at the same time, if pulled off right, it could add that touch of blissful neutrality Balrog's so good at conveying that the picture could perhaps use to offset the 'downer' tone.
And I really can't wait for your interpretations of King and Toroko. I love both those characters a lot, and it's always the main thing on my mind that even if you get the best ending they're gone and there's nothing you can do to bring them back.

(Oh, and Quote's necklace is such a cool little touch)

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:16 AM
ragnaroq said:
hoooooooly sadlfj

this is really really *really* good, man. I adore your style, I can't even explain how great both Quote and Curly look and how much it just works--from the colors to the poses you chose.

I really love Quote's expression, it reminds me of how I pictured his sprite in the PC version when I first saw it. Curly's drawn in a way that's really beautiful in a way not many artists have ever captured--usually they make her fluffy and cute or try to make her 'sexy' in a way that I can't quite grasp or appreciate, but I *adore* how she looks here.

*edit* Oh, and to respond to your stuff:
I'm kinda on the fence as to whether or not you should show Balrog's face. I think it's fine how it is, maybe make it slightly more apparent that they're riding on him in the first place, like, obvious that they're over an ocean or whatever; but while Balrog's mug would kind of detract from the mood, at the same time, if pulled off right, it could add that touch of blissful neutrality Balrog's so good at conveying that the picture could perhaps use to offset the 'downer' tone.
And I really can't wait for your interpretations of King and Toroko. I love both those characters a lot, and it's always the main thing on my mind that even if you get the best ending they're gone and there's nothing you can do to bring them back.

(Oh, and Quote's necklace is such a cool little touch)

Wow.. Thanks for the awesome feedback, and I'm stoked that you're enjoying it as much as you are, I hope the others will too. I'm putting everything I know how to do into this image, rest assured.

You're definitely right that that does get highlighted with curly, but I did choose to stay true to the unwritten rule that it's taboo to draw fanart of Curly Brace without her signature Undergarments XD

I'll definitely see what I can do about that, since now that you mention it, balrog's uncanny personality would definitely be a nice addition to this installment.

I can't wait to sketch them out... it's going to be certainly interesting. The way that I've grown in my style, they should be a change of pace from the norm.
My idea is to have King in sort of a desperate shouting stance "Get your hands off of her!" and to have Toroko with half dazed and possessed eyes.

I really want to bring out the intensity of this moment, because Cave Story struck this moment in me the moment I beat the game and saw Toroko and King in the credits. I really hope to do this justice.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:10 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I dunno if this is technically fanart, but I made a nice firefox persona-- "Cave Story Egg 00"

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:24 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
jcys810 said:
The purpose of this topic is to post your fanart for Cave Story here. No matter what it is, such as sprites, artwork, etc.
There's your answer.

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:44 PM
Update (Showing Current, then previous)

EDIT Big update, Toroko's done, or so i thought
Another EDIT: Big change in Toroko's shading, much nicer looking, and much more space has been given for King to be opposite her

Fixes:
-proportions (too freakin many to list... arms, namely.)
-Color Scheme
-Shading
p22613-0-heroslament1.png

p22602-0-final1.png

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:29 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Volley said:
Update (Showing Current, then previous)

EDIT Big update, Toroko's done, or so i thought
Another EDIT: Big change in Toroko's shading, much nicer looking, and much more space has been given for King to be opposite her

Fixes:
-proportions (too freakin many to list... arms, namely.)
-Color Scheme
-Shading
p22613-0-heroslament1.png

p22602-0-final1.png

Wow... This is... I'm so glad that this thread is a Sticky, I would have totally missed out on this.

What are you using for this, Corel painter?

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:40 AM
Renolds said:
Wow... This is... I'm so glad that this thread is a Sticky, I would have totally missed out on this.

What are you using for this, Corel painter?

No Actually, I've been having a ton of people keep telling me that I need to try out either paint tool SAI or corel Painter, but here I am with my CS 4 Photoshop, being rebellious... like always... Okay, so the potential of CS 4 has kinda worn down on me, but i'm still learning new things that change the way I do my art, so that's a good thing, right?

EDIT: The resolution is a little off on this one because Photobucket only allows 1024 x 640 resolution, but i'll be uploading the full 1440 x 900 widescreen to my dA once it's all finished

Also, just in time for my latest big update. I'd like to know if there's anything that I should add, manipulate, take away from this.

Like I'd said before, i want to do justice to the meaning behind this thought:

p22615-0-heroslamentbg.png

Apr 11, 2010 at 12:25 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Awesome.
Kings facial expression is just "Brrrr".
Can't wait for the Widescreen Version.

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:30 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
Volley said:
No Actually, I've been having a ton of people keep telling me that I need to try out either paint tool SAI or corel Painter, but here I am with my CS 4 Photoshop, being rebellious... like always... Okay, so the potential of CS 4 has kinda worn down on me, but i'm still learning new things that change the way I do my art, so that's a good thing, right?

EDIT: The resolution is a little off on this one because Photobucket only allows 1024 x 640 resolution, but i'll be uploading the full 1440 x 900 widescreen to my dA once it's all finished

Also, just in time for my latest big update. I'd like to know if there's anything that I should add, manipulate, take away from this.

Like I'd said before, i want to do justice to the meaning behind this thought:

https://andwhyisit.bugsiteguardian.com/cstsf/archive1/p22615-0-heroslamentbg.png

WOW well done that looks great, i cant wait to see the finished product, could i get your dA link?

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:50 PM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I really REALLY love what you've done with this since you last showed me. I love King's new position as opposed to being way across the screen like last time, and his snout looks so much cooler... the addition of the sword's awesome, too.

Only complains is that his scar looks a bit too faint and not exactly where it was on the face sprite, but that's minor--in some ways he looks better without as apparent a scar.

Keep up the good work, man. I hope you draw more of this stuff, it's only too bad you weren't earlier or you probably could have gotten something on the Nicalis blog.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:05 PM
Just a minor thingy, but King's eyes look a bit ... plastic. It's sorta a weird complaint, I know, but they don't seem as ragy or as angry shaped as they did in the game. Also, his head seems a bit too big for his body, it looks like he wouldn't be able to bring his sword down on the enemy because his head was in the way.
Sides those two bizarre nitpicks, this is amazing.

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:54 PM
Schokobecher said:
Awesome.
Kings facial expression is just "Brrrr".
Can't wait for the Widescreen Version.
-----
I'm glad it turned out the way it did, It was totally hap-hazard to begin with
Just a few more minutes, Uploading it to dA Right now

DoubleThink said:
I love the look on Quote's face :>
-----
Funny story with that... As an artist, I actually mimic the faces of anything i draw, so my brother came in my room thinking i was going to kill myself XD
(Or that i'd just watched the movie "UP" Again.)

xristosx said:
WOW well done that looks great, i cant wait to see the finished product, could i get your dA link?
-----
Thanks! From what I've seen, you do some really great stuff yourself! My dA is in my...
Schokobecher said:
Look at his signature.
-----
XD Beat me to it...

ragnaroq said:
I really REALLY love what you've done with this since you last showed me. I love King's new position as opposed to being way across the screen like last time, and his snout looks so much cooler... the addition of the sword's awesome, too.

Only complains is that his scar looks a bit too faint and not exactly where it was on the face sprite, but that's minor--in some ways he looks better without as apparent a scar.

Keep up the good work, man. I hope you draw more of this stuff, it's only too bad you weren't earlier or you probably could have gotten something on the Nicalis blog.
-----
Yeah, my decision there was because having King and Toroko on opposite sides, King seemed like he was shouting in Toroko's direction, but in-game, his rage-face is directed toward the doctor, who is on the right half of the screen. To make it more sentimental, I have him in front, almost guarding her, while making a charge for the doctor.

That would have been AWESOME to be in the nicalis blog, but at the same time, I'm not sure that this would have made the cut, seeing some of the winners.

Lace said:
Just a minor thingy, but King's eyes look a bit ... plastic. It's sorta a weird complaint, I know, but they don't seem as ragy or as angry shaped as they did in the game. Also, his head seems a bit too big for his body, it looks like he wouldn't be able to bring his sword down on the enemy because his head was in the way.
Sides those two bizarre nitpicks, this is amazing.
-----

Sort of a silly reasoning for this, but those choices in texture and size are due to me having this weird tenancy. I like to make any sort of "non-foreground" characters Chibi Style, if that makes sense, though I can see where that would be... kind of weird in this case, since it's a more serious picture.

My initial thought when i started drawing King was that Mimiga's are relatively small, stubby little arms, etcetera, but then so is quote, so I guess it's a little inconsistent. Hmm...

-----
In any case, it's looking a bit better now, and the full resolution image is posted on my dA. I'll just post a link, i've already used a lot of page space, I'm sure:

http://xxshirushixx.deviantart.com/art/A-Hero-s-Lament-CS-Tribute-160389774