Cave Story eShop Curly Story Glitch

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:33 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Ok, so I got the new version of Cave Story today, and when I started up Curly Story, everything was glitched out, there were random part placed in random places, and when the first cut-scene with Kazuma ended, I died immediately. Did this happen to anyone else?

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:00 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
well, this is strange...

i can't think of anything else other than a coincidental glitch.

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:34 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ok, so I got the new version of Cave Story today, and when I started up Curly Story, everything was glitched out, there were random part placed in random places, and when the first cut-scene with Kazuma ended, I died immediately. Did this happen to anyone else?
This has happened to me as well. I thought I broke the game.

Oct 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You know, there's something a bit like that in the Humble Indie Bundle version of Cave Story+. I really wish NICALiS would take more time into ensuring that all of their releases were more polished. Not doing so is an insult to the original Cave Story IMHO.

Oct 5, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Bahaha, I just ran through to the Sand Zone to get Curly Mode to see if this would happen. It did, it's hilarious. I didn't die immediately, though, so maybe I can progress?! Doesn't look like it, actually... Maybe I'll take a video of this?

EDIT: Actually, found one on YouTube.

This isn't the exact outcome I got (I could actually explore), but you get the idea.

Oct 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM
I really wish NICALiS would take more time into ensuring that all of their releases were more polished. Not doing so is an insult to the original Cave Story IMHO.
I know, not's not even the only glitch, right after you finish your first visit to the Egg Corridor and there's the cutscene of Sue talking to Kazuma, Jack is in the room by the door already. And then there's the statue room, when you walk right in front of the statues, the bottoms are IN FRONT of you while the upper parts of the statues are behind you! Then, when you are at the file selection screen for Curly Story, the top of the screen says it's Time Attack. And THEN the Deleets in Hell do no damage...
Those are all of the signs of laziness I've encountered so far. -_-

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:13 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
Well, this gives me an excuse to let me buy another version of CS, so I'm down with it.

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I emailed Nicalis.

They probably wouldn't do anything about it, though.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah, I couldn't wait for the new 3DS release (Tyrone Rodriguez just said 'In a month or so') And got my hands on it THE DAY it came out. This happened to me, too. I was a little upset, but now I feel a little better, because the Sanctuary (Hell), Wind Fortress and Boss Rush all work... haven't unlocked Nemesis Challenge yet. But as soon as they release the patch for Curly Story, I won't stop playing it :D

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:36 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
These glitches remind me of missingnos and stuff.... poorly debugged games. From the video, it looks like entities fall through blocks.(They used BG blocks instead of foreground ones?)

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah, it's really lame, I hope they fix it. I've never played Curly's Story yet. Also, there is no Missile Launcher OR Life Pot in Time Attack. That's brutal. How can I get under 3 minutes with 55 HP and no Missiles? I managed to get under 4 minutes. but damn. Also, Jukebox mode dooesn't have the Wind Fortress theme! What?! Oh, and it's my first time being able to play Wind Fortress, is there any reason to try and get a good time?

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:37 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Man, the more I hear about this release, the more embarrassed I get. I don't think I have seen many releases get put out with the sheer number of glitches and bugs that this particular incarnation of Cave Story was released with.

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:17 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I think CS Wii was a bit worse, in all fairness.

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:19 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
For those with the game: try out Curly Mode with the 3D Slider set to the max, it really screws with your eyes.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Oh, and it's my first time being able to play Wind Fortress, is there any reason to try and get a good time?
Getting a good time makes you feel awesome. But no, getting a good time for Wind Fortress doesn't get you anything, if we did, we'd all know about it by now.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Man, the more I hear about this release, the more embarrassed I get. I don't think I have seen many releases get put out with the sheer number of glitches and bugs that this particular incarnation of Cave Story was released with.

On paper, this should be the definitive version (it doesn't have the achievements, updated graphics, or updated music, but it does have the Jukebox). But it's honestly really sloppy in its execution. I hope a timely patch is released to fix these issues (not just Curly Story).

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
k gaiz calm down now

Also if I recall correctly from an article the 2x graphics were not included because the 3DS doesn't have that resolution and the remastered music wasn't included because that brings them way over their size limit.

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I'm glad that they patched Curly Mode, but was that the only thing they patched? I believe that there are many more glitches besides that one, like the timer still going after pausing. If I'm ever going to get a decent time, I need that to get patched... >_>
Maybe they are planning on releasing a patch for some of the other glitches later.

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I'm glad that they patched Curly Mode, but was that the only thing they patched? I believe that there are many more glitches besides that one, like the timer still going after pausing. If I'm ever going to get a decent time, I need that to get patched... >_>
Maybe they are planning on releasing a patch for some of the other glitches later.
The timer glitch for wind fortress (or any of the challenges as far as I can tell) is not present in the 3DSeshop version.

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM
The patch fixed all of the sound issues, which was a pleasant surprise. The timer-pause issue is still there, along with the post-damage invincibility quirk and some graphical snafoos (mini-cores disappearing when Misery shows up before the normal final boss / Jack standing in the doorway in Arthur's house before he's supposed to / Quote falling at the beginning of the normal ending instead of Curly in Curly Story), but the update took care of the two biggest issues, so I'm satisfied at the moment. If Nicalis fixes the other stuff, great, but if not, it doesn't really affect the game too much.