Cave Story engine-rewrite/clone

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:34 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
There's no reason you can't create original boss battles in regular doukutsu

it just takes a different skillset is all...

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:27 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Noxid said:
There's no reason you can't create original boss battles in regular doukutsu

it just takes a different skillset is all...
Are there any mods that do this??
I know I can be creative with existing enemies using scripts or changing the projectile effects... But, has someone made brand new boss movement/sequences?

Example, making blocks rotate from off the screen in 360 motion all coming towards the center of the enemy. And as time passes more and more random blocks that you can step on rotate inward. [Goal is to defeat the enemy in the center, without being eaten!]

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:31 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Dec 2, 2010 at 8:20 PM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
X-Calibar said:
I know I can be creative with existing enemies using scripts or changing the projectile effects... But, has someone made brand new boss movement/sequences?
Yes! I saw only one mod like this: Original Sin.

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:00 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
X-Calibar said:

Example, making blocks rotate from off the screen in 360 motion all coming towards the center of the enemy. And as time passes more and more random blocks that you can step on rotate inward. [Goal is to defeat the enemy in the center, without being eaten!]

There are tons of mods that do this. As Haithm and Noxid have said, there are plenty of ways to make custom bosses. Examples include Original Sin, King: S & S, WTFstory, etc, etc... basically any mod that has assembly hacks performed on the bosses (or that uses regular hacked NPCs as bosses).

For the rotating blocks thing, you'd probably have to make an entity that looks like a rotating block and that you could use as a stepping stone.

I suppose the final point here is that you can use C++ and the NXengine to simulate assembly hacks. Yeah, that'd be fine if you want to make a mod that way.

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:00 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nShwPMCbu_c

He gets to the original boss at 1:10 in the video.

Also the worm boss I'm working on would count as well, and all future bosses that will appear.

I've had a number of requests to redo the blocky boss as well, which I might do in my mod.

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:01 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
It looks like I need to pay more attention D:
Thanks everyone for letting me know about these boss battles! I'm impressed... Didn't realize it had been done...