Cave Story DS: What happened? Is it gone?

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:03 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I've seen multiple demos out there, but I can't find anything more recent than mid-2007. Is it still in progress somewhere? Has it really been abandoned? Why? I was so looking forward to it! What/where is the most recent demo release?

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:11 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It are dead.
Someone else will know more details.

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:29 AM
If I remember correctly, Pixel (and possibly Nicalis & Nintendo) has requested that all forms of Cave Story porting (and modding?) to be stopped. Essentially a C&D. Most likely due to legal issues arising for said projects because of the WiiWare release. (any finished projects are safe to distribute, I think)

And unfortunately, it seems that ravenworks, the original guy porting the game to the DS, has rerouted the project's page to Nicalis' Cavestory.com. Lucky for us, he left an old link back in Livejournal... (I won't provide the link since I don't know if it's allowed here...)

Last NDS build had basic mechanics available; no GUI, no moving between rooms, no damage, no weapons, no sound effects, no scripts.

...and anybody is free to correct me if they desire!

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:43 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The halt in porting (only porting, not modding) is to smooth things over with Nintendo, so I can assume that this is merely temporary. It was not a C&D but a request from Pixel, Ravenworks simply respected his wishes. So the status is "Indefinite Hiatus".

I believe I heard that the unreleased version held by Ravenworks is much more advanced than the last public release.

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:25 AM
I REALLY hope it gets done soon. I've found tons of homebrew DS games for my AceKard, but the one I was hoping for the most was CS. Whether it's a C&D or indefinite hiatus... I hope it's the latter, although neither is desireable. The demo I have matches the description dqle gave, so it must be the most recent. Rats, I was hoping for a newer one. :D
BTW, is the CS for Wii pay-per-download, or is it free? If they're profiting from it, I hope Pixel got a fortune for it!

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:32 AM
As with all WiiWare titles, Cave Story will cost some Nintendo Points. How much remains to be seen, but I'm expecting around 1000 points, or $10 USD. (once downloaded under an account, that account will have access to it indefinitely)

From your description, brianbdm, I believe I was talking about the same DS file. Ah, if only andwhyisit had more info on the not yet released build...

...and I have no idea how the money will be split between Nintendo/Nicalis/Pixel.

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:01 AM
Not all Wii stuff costs money. I know that there are one or two that don't. The internet channel USED to be free, or so I've heard.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:21 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
brianbdm said:
Not all Wii stuff costs money. I know that there are one or two that don't. The internet channel USED to be free, or so I've heard.

Was when I got it. The only things that are free are things released in updates, some channels, and things that aren't yet complete.

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:57 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I thought nicalis said they're trying to get it priced at 800 points

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:39 PM
brianbdm said:
Not all Wii stuff costs money.
That's true, but I said WiiWare stuff. The only things that are free to download are the Wii Channels and WiiWare Demos. (the Internet Channel was free for a few months after launch, then they asked for 500 points. They then changed their minds, making it free again; anybody who spent points had an option to download a free NES title)

Vercci said:
I thought nicalis said they're trying to get it priced at 800 points
I haven't heard of such news, though if you can find it, then that makes you awesome.

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:00 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Mar 14, 2010 at 8:44 PM
Somehow, I REALLY doubt that it won't make the minimum. :D Five thousand shouldn't be too hard to meet in north america, right?

Apr 5, 2010 at 4:59 AM
Well, it looks like Cave Story is on WiiWare now. I can't believe I haven't seen any release date, and now all of a sudden it's been out for 2 weeks!? Well, I know they'll get MY $12 at least.

Apr 5, 2010 at 4:06 PM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
As it was never really addressed in this thread, Nicalis changed the price to 1200 before release so they could stuff it full of all the DLC without actually making you have to buy DLC... but I think the general consensus is that they should've just released it for 800-1000 without the DLC packed in for two reasons;

1) 1200 means you have to put in $20 worth of Wii points instead of $10, which enraged a lot of people
2) The DLC is utterly riddled with spoilers/super easy access to even the rarest of weapons/the secret area etc. and it's all there just to play from the beginning, even though Pixel practically begged people to not give anything away so new players would find stuff out on their own in Story Mode.. so much for that!

Either way, I still think it's totally worth the 1200 Wii Points it costs, personally..

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:08 AM
I found this review for it. I thought it was nearly as stunning as the game. It's exactly how I would have put it. I'll just quote the last part:
As a free piece of software, the original Cave Story gets a perfect ten. This not-free, enhanced port gets a...

Score: 9.5 - Superb (9s are a hallmark of excellence. There may be flaws, but they are negligible and won't cause massive damage to what is a supreme title.)
The graphics still look a bit funny, but that's partly because it's such a big screen compared to my laptop, and partly because even though there's a higher resolution, there's the same number of frames to all of the animations. You'd think Nicalis could have added a few more to make it more fluid. The more detailed the graphics are, the more choppy it seems.
Also, I was personally disappointed with the new music. However, it lets you switch between the new graphics and old ones, as well as the new music and the old music. I think that the old music is as much of a work of art as the game itself. You have to load one of the .org files into Orgmaker to fully appreciate it. Just try following a few of the tracks. Then imagine trying to put it all together.
Now that the game is out, hopefully Ravenworks will be able to get back to work. Personally, I'd rather have a handheld version than a wiiware one, and not just because the handheld would be free.
As for twelve dollars... meh, that's an awful lot of money for something that was free to begin with. I'd say it's priceless, but that doesn't mean I want to pay a bunch of money for it. Well, either way, they still got my $20. I just bought it about a half hour ago.
(Probably facepalm for asking this, but what's DLC?)

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:42 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
No facepalms here!
UNLESS LOWELL POSTS BEFORE ME AND AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH
DLC stands for downloadable content.