Cave Story: Bad Ending

Dec 11, 2011 at 6:18 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
Cave Story BE V01.1
-No story yet, but nearly 2 full maps!
-Ends after Mountian Side, but feel free to explore the new area.

OP
Yep. A CS mod that takes place after the bad ending.
It starts out with you and Kazuma on your mountian-top home. Life has become very peaceful since you left the Doctor to take over the island. But, suddenly, when you and Kazuma are fishing, hundreds of robots appear! You and Kazuma run into the house. While he hides in his emergency shelter, you grab your blade and fight off the enemys. You realize that there is no way to escape from the doctor anymore, so you set off on a journey to save the surface.

Dec 11, 2011 at 6:52 PM
"Huzzah!"
Sounds interesting. I'll be awaiting a demo

Dec 11, 2011 at 7:13 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
CommanderJersey said:
Yep. A CS mod that takes place after the bad ending.
It starts out with you and Kazuma on your mountian-top home. Life has become very peaceful since you left the Doctor to take over the island. But, suddenly, when you and Kazuma are fishing, hundreds of robots appear! You and Kazuma run into the house. While he hides in his emergency shelter, you grab your blade and fight off the enemys. You realize that there is no way to escape from the doctor anymore, so you set off on a journey to save the surface.

Will this turn out to be another one of your failed projects? >_>"
Let's not forget Cave Story 4-bit and 8-bit!

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:22 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I think you should use my fanfic as a reference for the story instead. It'll make the mod 10x better.

(Not like you were around for it though)

Dec 11, 2011 at 10:03 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This sounds good. Mainly because I want more sequels to the bad ending, because it seems to me you can do much more with a bad ending sequel.

But there is a large porblem with the name. This problem is:

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

It is the worst [CENSOR]**********[/CENSOR] name ever.

Please fix that.

EDIT: I also like your plot... and... um... stuff. Having trouble getting my point across.

EDSIT EDSIT: Also, I was joking about how bad the name was. But it's definetly not the best.

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:02 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
First demo!
here
Still pretty short, the only "finished" area is the mountian side. (PS; don't go to the right)
All you need to know about story right now is that you are leaving your home and decsending down the mountian on which you live to try and reach civilization.
Also, this is my first real mod demo, so now none of you can say that I don't get my work done!:D

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:27 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Well then!

I really liked the start (although the camera shouldn't start at the top of the map, I think >.>), it made sense and familiarized the player with the start. So I got the Blade and left the mountain house, and I spawned in a very odd location! This only happened my first time, so I didn't get a screen cap of it, but I knew I wasn't supposed to be there (stuck in some tiles under the power critter). I had to restart, and it started working again. Level design was great, but it looked a bit messy IMO. And I guess the only problem I have with the script is that when I fell to my death before I got to the terminal, I instantly vanished instead of appearing offscreen.
So yeah my only suggestion is clean it up a bit, I guess! ":D

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:35 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Yeah I had the same thing happened weird

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:48 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Be sure to add the demo to the first post.
I mean, I wouldn't want to surf all the pages just to find the latest version.

Yeah, I played through it.
Bad English, Messy Levels, Glitches, Unfitting Enemies,
This definitely needs more work. But as a first demo I understand that.

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:01 AM
Based Member
Ok. Here's what I think:
Storyline: 7/10 Good. It's hard to beat a Cave Story based storyline, but points are taken away since it implies that you and Kazuma didn't actually live out your days undisturbed. Not that that makes this mod's storyline bad, but it does contradict Cave Story's bad ending.
Level Design: 6/10 Fair. You could vary the tile types in the mountain home a little more, but the mountain outside looks pretty natural, and the way you made it look natural was good. What really costs you so many points in this category is showing all those deliberately blocked up doors, and glitch #4.

Gameplay: 3/10 Poor. This mod is pretty much unplayable. See glitches below.

Glitches:
1) I can't sleep in either of the beds. If I'm not supposed to, then you should have some kind of, "You don't feel tired..." event.
2) I go up, to the top right corner of the mountain house and find a sparkly item that gives me the blade. But suddenly afterward, I get teleported to a mountain with the music Mischeivous Robot playing. I know this is a glitch, because I saw that this room's script means to teleport you to the hermit gunsmith's place. Even then, I fail to understand the logic behind a sparkling item in your house which gives you a blade, and subsequently teleports you somewhere else.
3) 50% of the time, I get teleported to some mountain, but the camera never focusses on me, and I don't know where I'm going. In older versions, this happened to me 100% of the time.
4) The other 50% of the time, I wind up on a cliff, and the camera has fucussed on me. I don't think that this is a glitch, but if you go to the right of that map, then you'll fall off the edge.
5) On this slightly more functional map, I come to this:
TriggerDeath.jpg
Walk past that save point, and Quote will disappear, and I will be told that I was never seen again, and am asked if I want to retry.

Improvements:
1) Fix all the glitches mentioned above.
2) Improve the level design.
3) Add events for the beds in your house.
4) Don't make the camera focus way away from Quote and Kazuma during the beginning cutscene.
5) Make this mod playable.
Overall Score: 3/10 Poor. Sorry, but this mod is practically unplayable, and I "die" or fall off the edge of the map at times that I really shouldn't have. You should really test this thing before making a release.

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
Hayden:
Glitch 1: Since it's still an early version, I haven't added them yet. But I will now.
Glitch 2: Still have to add what some might call a "storyline", so the intro for now will have to do.
Glitch 3: Trying to fix.
Glitch 4: When you go to the right, you will eventually go to another map.
Glitch 5: Will shift the map down so that you die more naturaly.
Also, don't you think that improvement #5 is a little cruel?

Mixer:
I plobably won't finish for a while, but I'll start to add more demos soon.

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:33 PM
Based Member
Hayden:
Glitch 1: Since it's still an early version, I haven't added them yet. But I will now.
Ok.
Glitch 2: Still have to add what some might call a "storyline", so the intro for now will have to do.
Well, it's kinda best to wait to release a demo until you have it a bit more planned out, cause it doesn't make much sense to just walk up to a sparkly item and get teleported elsewhere.
Glitch 4: When you go to the right, you will eventually go to another map.
Really? That didn't happen to me. I think you should have a horizontal/vertical trigger right at the drop off that takes you to that other map, so that you don't have to head further right...
Also, don't you think that improvement #5 is a little cruel?
When multiple subsequent releases are unplayable, and the author makes no aknowledgement, it is necessary to notify him. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to troll here. But this mod is unplayable with you getting teleported to a place where you can't move around 50% of the time, and on the times that I can, I'm stopped some way through the level. The inability to progress through the game signifies unplayability. And with you requesting feedback, I think it's best to tell the author of the mod what the glitches are. I highly recommend that you test each demo before releasing it.

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:58 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I don't see this as being successful because:

A: Curly is dead.
B: Sue is [probably] dead.

:T

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
Who said that Curly was dead? You can still save her and get the bad ending.
(hint)

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:09 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Really exciting premise. Limitless potential with proper execution.