Cave Story 3D project

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:27 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Looks great so far, Volant! I really like checking back on this project of yours to see the updates.

What would be interesting is to take things to another level and implement them in a game engine with particle effects and the works. That's what I'm in the process of learning at the moment when I can find the time.

I really should learn Blender sometime... But Maya and ZBrush are what I'm sticking with for now. It'd be fun to make a Ballos Ball I would think.

-SkyeWelse

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:17 AM
"Huzzah!"
Aside from it needing smoke from the crayonslawl, it's a great picture. I mean GREAT by the way.

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:28 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
SkyeWelse said:
Looks great so far, Volant! I really like checking back on this project of yours to see the updates.

What would be interesting is to take things to another level and implement them in a game engine with particle effects and the works. That's what I'm in the process of learning at the moment when I can find the time.

I really should learn Blender sometime... But Maya and ZBrush are what I'm sticking with for now. It'd be fun to make a Ballos Ball I would think.

-SkyeWelse
First Cave in 3D would be pretty awesome. Wouldn't it be hard to emulate cave story physics though?

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:57 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Atravir said:
BALROG FIRES CRAYONS!! :mad:

p41545-0-crayon.jpg

O: i found balrogs ammo deposit, is it possible balrog was created by crayola O:?

hahah when you said that i cracked up laughing

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:34 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Just so you know, I'm lurking around this place pretty much every day, and haven't forgotten about the project. Expect something...next time...or...something. Soon-ish.

And you're all going to die the day you laugh at someone shooting "crayons" at you!

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:31 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
andwhyisit said:
Wouldn't it be hard to emulate cave story physics though?
Yeah, probably.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:55 PM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
hey can you tell me what program you used to make them 3d

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:01 AM
In front of a computer
Did you even read the topic?

Volant said:
I'm using Blender. Free, open-source, etc. It exports...pretty much anything.

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:14 PM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
......... that program its too hard i deleted it from the first day

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:34 PM
In front of a computer
It's not hard, more like unintuitive. That is to say, it takes a while to learn how to use it, but once you know how it's easy to use.

Not that I'm speaking from experience. My experience with Blender is almost nil.

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:00 AM
'Tis correct. The learning curve is pretty steep, and if you're accustomed to the way 3D software is "supposed" to work, you're in for a rough ride.

Luckily, Blender was the first 3D program I ever touched, and I stuck with it, so that's how 3D is supposed to be in my world. It's really awesome when you reach the point where you can make the stuff you want to do instead of tinkering with small tutorials, but that's how it is with pretty much everything, I guess...

Also, there is no "make nice" button in any program. Almost everything is hard in the beginning.

In other news, I actually opened the project file again the other day...only to remember why I stopped working on it. I'm stuck on the rocket flames. I know how to make them, but I wanted to try a different approach, but that didn't work and ruined my inspiration.

I will get back to it though, I promise.

May 13, 2009 at 11:16 PM
It's not dead yet!

Semi-ditched the picture I was working on in favor of making a mimiga. So here's something that's eventually going to look a lot like Sue, I hope.

As always, don't hold back on the criticism. State the obvious if you have to. Just need other people's input on it.

suewip1.jpg

May 13, 2009 at 11:24 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
>.>;

Volant said:
It's not dead yet!

Semi-ditched the picture I was working on in favor of making a mimiga. So here's something that's eventually going to look a lot like Sue, I hope.

As always, don't hold back on the criticism. State the obvious if you have to. Just need other people's input on it.
That's really good o.o;
Although, something about the face is kinda bland...
I'd say the nose, but I can't really imagine a nose for that....
XD

Volant said:
To do list for Curly:
  • Consider making her hair in another way
  • Breasts, breasts, breasts
  • Make proper hands
  • Give her legs
  • Make her face look pretty, and her head/hair taller
Eh..
Lost my respect there..
-.-"

May 14, 2009 at 12:51 AM
Although, something about the face is kinda bland...
I'd say the nose, but I can't really imagine a nose for that....
Her nose is some sort of cross, but I'm not sure how I'm going to do it yet. She also needs more definition in her cheeks, so they stand out more. Right now, her head is kinda...just like a ball. No definition at all.

Eh..
Lost my respect there..
-.-"
Haha, sorry about that. I was just annoyed at the way they looked when I wrote that, but I think they're ok in their current state.

May 14, 2009 at 12:55 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Ehh..

Volant said:
Haha, sorry about that. I was just annoyed at the way they looked when I wrote that, but I think they're ok in their current state.
Eh, haven't you noticed all of the other artworks of Curly, Pixel or otherwise?

May 14, 2009 at 1:02 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Wait, what?

supermario566 said:
Okay, if this is made. Will it be a first person game? Or will it be a third person perspective? Or will it be the classic 2-d cave story with new music and 3-d models?
Erm, I thought that this was just Artwork?
Didn't you see the fancy re-do of the third Balrog fight? {With the Crayons of DEATH}
Hmm...I wonder what Ball Ballos will look like ^.^

May 14, 2009 at 1:07 AM
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Eh, haven't you noticed all of the other artworks of Curly, Pixel or otherwise?
I...don't get it. What do you mean?

supermario566 said:
Okay, if this is made. Will it be a first person game? Or will it be a third person perspective? Or will it be the classic 2-d cave story with new music and 3-d models?
Neither.

I'm not into making games. If it ever turns into something "big", it will be an animation of some sort, maybe a boss fight or somethig. However, it is very unlikely that it will ever get this far, and at the very best (realistically) it will end up as a still image like the one I've started. (Quote fighting Balrog with Curly unconscious in the foreground.)

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Hmm...I wonder what Ball Ballos will look like ^.^
Soooo do I... I've avoided the fancy-looking models so far, because I suck at texturing. :D

May 14, 2009 at 1:11 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Morals...

Volant said:
I...don't get it. What do you mean?
Ergh...I'ma feel uncomfortable talking about this...but...
The breasts on the Curly you've made are actually bigger than in any of the original artworks, or even any fan-made ones...{'Cept for a few, which I look down upon >.>;}

May 14, 2009 at 1:12 AM
Erm, Sue in that render looks sorta like the Stay Puffed Marshmallow Man. o.o

Like the others said, needs more definition. Avoid so much cell smoothing. It's making everything look a little... Pillow-like in definition.