Booster's Lab - It's Pretty Good Now

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:27 PM
"Huzzah!"
When I use the New button under the File menu and create a new folder to work under, BL reports that ItemImage.png, Face.png, and ArmsImage.png are all missing.
Is the New button intended to completely create a new mod or are you supposed to load a folder that already has stuff like the CS exe and other necessary files?
After using New the folder has files like bk0.png, MyChar.png, and dsmap.bin, which seems strange since those are files for CSEngine (unless New is supposed to make a CSEngine mod).

Also, the default page for "oh god what do i do" says you can set an entity with double click, but didn't you change that to 'i' key?

and the tileset bg color button doesn't open the color picker or anything (with a mod loaded and without)

edit: New button has same issues with pre-existing mod folder

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017 at 2:30 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
New isn't relevant to Cave Story modding. Because mods are always based off the vanilla freeware game (and can't run without it) you make a new mod by making a copy of that.
Your assumption is correct that New is used for CSengine and derivatives though.

The help needs to be updated, I know I made a bunch of stubs for help documents I intended to write at some point but I never got around to it either.

For some reason the picker doesn't seem to work without a mod loaded but I managed to get it to come up by opening a game
p356878-0-ehum8de.png

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:57 AM
"Huzzah!"
Ah, I see now.

I just tried it again with a map open and it worked. Before I thought you could open it without a map open, though I guess that wouldn't be too helpful since you can't see the colors in use then.

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:52 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Is it possible to add a corrector tool for case sensitivity issues between mapdata and the actual files in question (the "lounge" bug) to cater for case sensitive systems such as the psp and linux? What I mean is if the mapdata referred to "sandkero" and the file in question was "NpcSandKero.bmp", then the mapdata would be corrected to refer to "SandKero" to match the casing of the filename (same for everything under "Stage" and background images). The referenced lounge bug is an example of this in the original game where Lounge.pxm/tsc/pxe was referenced to as "lounge" in mapdata instead of "Lounge". A one-click solution for this sort of thing would be lovely.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:52 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
noxid ur a pretty cool guy

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:47 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
new version
http://noxid.ca/files/BoostLab_0454.zip

Changelog:
V0.4.5.4:
- Make tilepen static (you can copy/draw tiles between maps)
- Add file checker to the action menu

V0.4.5.3:
- Change how graphics are created in some areas to hopefully address clipping issues

V0.4.5.2:
- Support different encodings in TSC editor (set in project config)

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:10 PM
"Huzzah!"
Cool!
Just a couple of things with the file checker I think might be bugs but maybe not.
  • tsc_def.txt and ScriptSource files are detected under "Found but not referenced" - shouldn't these be filtered out or no?
  • Shelt.pxa is also detected under not referenced, but the Shelt map is used and the tile types in Shelt.pxa are different from those in 0.pxa.
Also my defines don't seem to save in tsc_def.txt but maybe I'm saving it wrong

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:01 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
those files aren't used by the game so they (when you're releasing) are safe to exclude. Logically, it makes sense to list them for that purpose.
Shelt.pxa is a mapping for a PrtShelt.bmp that was removed so it too, is unused. An abandoned tileset that doesn't appear to have been very interesting as only 15 or so tiles were actually defined, most of them background types.

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:28 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Not sure if this is exclusive to the new version but it doesn't run properly in linux (I'm running ubuntu)

It can't find .bmp files or the tsc.txt or sfxlist.txt or help files in the folder so....yeah.

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:10 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
it's literally never been tested

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:47 AM
"Huzzah!"
The show tile types toggle doesn't register for the tileset if it's popped out until you click on it. So if I turn tile types on/off, it's not until I click on the tileset that their visibility is toggled in the tileset.

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:33 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Booster's Lab is going open-source. More information to follow.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:01 PM
Based Member
Open source, you say? I almost get the feeling that you're about to say you're not interested in working much more on this and are about to just say "whoever wants new features and bugfixes can make it themselves instead of have me do it". I'll be interested to see what the status is on this project when it goes open-source.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:32 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
well, more like, I don't necessarily have the time I need to invest in the project and allowing other contributors opens it up to new ideas. There's really no downside. I will still be the primary maintainer and so any changes will have to be approved by myself of course.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:58 PM
War criminal
Finally, we can have that Waffle Button that's been promised for 5 years, now!

May 12, 2017 at 9:55 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Hey All

Just bumping to let you know that I've posted the first post-open-source editor update with some helpful changes from members of the community and also me. This update improves stability for some features and some helpful improvements; see the OP or the included txt for the full changelog.
It doesn't necessarily feature a huge jump in functionality but it's a major milestone anyway so I've upgraded the version number to 0.5.0.0.

As a reminder, I'll still update the binary version occasionally but if you want the most recent features as soon as they're available you can clone the repo and build it yourself as well.

Download here:
http://noxid.ca/files/BoostLab_0500.zip