Andwhy's mod porting thread

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:49 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Re: Andwhy's mod porting thread

I dont mean to be a buster, but r u almost done with the updated Jenka's Nightmare port for psp?

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:22 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

I'm working on it at the moment. It's a difficult porting job and Lunar also wants to throw in a few things before I commit it. Be patient.

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:23 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Thank you very much for the port. I wanted to point out an issue with the psp version of "A Lost Land". It's kind of a game stopper.

Once you get up to the section where you have to burn the red flowers, each of the doors end up connecting to Jellyfish Way instead of the room with the flowers. You end up getting stuck in the walls- interestingly curly is no longer on your back once you're in that room.

I got around it by loading the save into the pc version and finishing that section before continuing on my psp.

Thank you very much for the ports. I couldn't figure out how to compile the code that was posted several years ago. I come back every once in a while to check, and all of a sudden, a few years later, it's done!

My main interest was boss rush, but some of these mods are great. Personally I've loved "A Lost Land"

If you know how to fix that issue, that would be nice when you can get around to it. Let me know if a save file will help.

I don't know if my account was cancelled through disuse or if I created one with a different email, but until I meet the minimum posts/time period, I can't upload files here, but I'll see about uploading it somewhere if you need it.

Thanks again!

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

I probably should have mentioned this a while ago.
The same problem caricatur had also occurs on the Mac version as well.

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 9, 2011 at 2:09 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Done. I sent the file to your email. Repeating the error should hopefully be easy.

I also sent a copy of my Schism save file. That one has issues early on. Not sure if it is one of those challenging asm hacks or not. It looks promising, though. It's almost like a whole different game. Text clipping occurs frequently, which doesn't bother me too much. Generally easy to guess what has been cut off.

Question: For anyone who has played schism, how significant is the room after the first boss fight (in the mansion)? Do you have to return often, or is it a one-time deal?

Thanks

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:39 PM
Been here way too long...

It's pretty important.
You never spend too much time there, but you do frequently return.

afaik the only assembly hack in schism increases how long the scripts can be by a few thousand characters. That may cause issues when you try to port, though.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:20 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Thanks for the reply. I just finished beating the demo. So I know...

The last boss fight of the demo takes place there, right after a very long cutscene. After the fight who knows, since the end has the characters going on a new adventure. So you need to go there at least twice.

I like that you're given options to skip cutscenes as well as the character switching. Works well because the characters are developed. It feels just enough like cavestory to feel comfortable with the dynamics, but it has a pretty different feel, all its own.

It's very satisfying given its length. Some nice features.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:27 AM
Been here way too long...

Yeah, schism is one of the better mods we have.
Too bad xaser is a lazy bum. :(

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:47 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

Lace said:
Yeah, schism is one of the better mods we have.
Too bad xaser is a lazy bum. :(

Easily could be the best. I think WTF wins that though...

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:08 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

WTF is pretty imaginative. I tried julian's king, but I got up to the mimiga villiage and can't talk to jack. Think that's near the end, I think. It's a short beta. The only copies I've found are on esnips, and I can't get them even after installing the downloader.

Does anyone know of any other links for the PC?

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:10 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

caricatur said:
The only copies I've found are on esnips, and I can't get them even after installing the downloader.
Neither can I, eSnips appears to now be horribly broken somehow, which is strange because it was working fine a month ago. I have also realised that the link in the actual thread (to the latest version) is now dead, and that I possibly never downloaded it D: Although, how did you get your version if none of the links can be accessed? SP's uploader?

Nov 12, 2011 at 3:57 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

I got the psp version from this thread. I'm not sure where andwhy got his from. I was hoping he or someone else had it archived. I just realized he's probably busy working on the mod project you started recently.

If I had experience modding cave story, it would have been nice to try and contribute something within my skills.

I'm also hoping your concern that the port is now lost would not be true.

Nov 12, 2011 at 2:37 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 14, 2011 at 2:01 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"

is lunarsoul's jenkas nightmare port almost completed for psp?

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:22 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator

ccman said:
is lunarsoul's jenkas nightmare port almost completed for psp?
Still waiting on Lunar to make those changes before I commit it.

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:43 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Thanks for the updates! Will test soon and let you know how it goes.

Schism:
Everything in game Works. I started from the beginning. I skipped all in game cutscenes, so I don't know if it is possible to break one by changing the tsc. Let me know if it's necessary to check for completeness sake.
It's a brief game when you're just running through and you know what to do.

Julians: I'll have to backtrack a bit to check if the villiage works well. Currently in a room where almost nothing is visible and there are only two doors and lots of pitfalls to maze through. The game was very well done up to this point. If the original author isn't around then I guess there is no way to ask how much farther he got past the villiage.

Anyone know if julian's king has a formal end?

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:36 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Thanks for posting. The PC version has the same issues.

All the people in Jack's house trigger the "You can see something behind the fireplace". Detection seems to be slightly off. I figured out the room I was in a few minutes. Fought a boss. Returned to villiage, only places to explore lead to dead end. One is a bug that doesn't let you get back. You can access it much earlier than I did, but I avoided it, so I guess that means there are no problems with Julian's King (besides being pretty hard in places)

The port has no issues not found in the original.

Thanks.

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:44 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Since I finished checking the mods much sooner than expected, I went and played through the skipped cutscenes of schism. Everything works.

I guess that only leaves one thing:

The red flower room in "A lost land". Not sure if it's slipped your mind with all the things you've been working on, or if it's harder to link the exit points of the doors to the proper room instead of Jellyfish way.

I may check some of the other mods later. I haven't yet found any other errors in the ones I tried so far.

Thanks again.

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:01 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator