Alternate Path/Ending

Jun 20, 2009 at 7:01 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Think up another new ending for Cave Story! Tell us about it here, and what new conditions or events lead up to it!

I was thinking a new secret extra hard route could be :

Play the game normally until you fight Igor and are supposed to save Sue! But instead of saving Sue you walk right past her and go out the secret exit to the Outer Wall...
Now you have to climb the wall without any booster and with not too much health. Maybe you bump into Itoh or Momorin. [Remember Momorin gets thrown off the cliff by the Doctor?] Maybe you get to see it happen or something...
Then you go through the plantation [with a few missing people since they are still at Mimiga Village]. But Booster might still be there...

Anyways you get to fight Misery or Balrog, in the plantation as you are finally discovered. [Maybe a Misery + Balrog battle?] Afterwards you get sent to Labyrinth...

And in the Labyrinth you find Toroko! She's still alive since this is still before the Doctor finds the Red Flower. *Toroko's theme plays* Toroko is happy to see you, and you free her or maybe carry her to Doctor/Nurse place. And there you meet Curly for the first time! She recognizes you as a Killer Robot! But, you are helping Toroko so she sees you're a good robot!
Get the Cure-All and save both Toroko and Curly.

So far I think the game is much harder since you'll have been at much lower health than normal, and not have access to bubbler, fireball, blade, machinegun, etc... You've cut out Grasstown, and Sand Zone.

Continue on your way fighting MonsterX and reaching the chamber where Booster usually falls from the sky... except this time he doesn't. [maybe add a new passage that leads to a new area if you fall... (remember Curly beats you to the stone monolith... even though she doesn't fight MonsterX! She must have a shortcut...)

Anyways make your way to the stone monolith chamber without booster. You meet up with Toroko and Curly. Balrog shows up like normal with some new dialogue since Toroko is there. Maybe he notes that Toroko ISN'T Sue after all!
Anyways, you beat Balrog and he helps you move it. You get to fight through the Labyrinth with Toroko and Curly. (Maybe have a harder time with more Gaudi to fight since Toroko/Gaudi's favorite food is with you)
After making it to the Core Base, things proceed... but when you reach the door 4 [or was it 3?] Toroko pulls something out of the door and gives you the item...

That's as far as I remember...

(Maybe I'll add the rest later :() But the ending keeps Toroko and maybe King alive and throws in a few new areas!

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:43 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
X-Calibar said:
So far I think the game is much harder since you'll have been at much lower health than normal, and not have access to bubbler, fireball, blade, machinegun, etc... You've cut out Grasstown, and Sand Zone.
wouldnt be if you've played the whole game in 3 hp mode :D

X-Calibar said:
Play the game normally until you fight Igor and are supposed to save Sue! But instead of saving Sue you walk right past her and go out the secret exit to the Outer Wall...

random thing but, you know you can try to exit to the outer wall earlier in the game, but when you press up (on the door thats currently invisable) it just says you feel a cold breeze or something

anyway, i like your ideas for this, sounds pretty cool

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:07 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I have one.

After you meet Curly, tell her you're planning to kill all the mimigas. Beat Toroko but use a level one polar star. Toroko faints instead of dies. You can pick him up, but wait! Misery spots you and sends you to the labyrinth. Where you meet Curly, who notices you with the fainted Toroko in your hands. She gets up and tries to start a fight, but falls back down, as she is too weak. Head and get the Cure-All, but don't give it to Curly, give it to Toroko instead. Curly stays in the bed and Toroko stays alive. After beating Monster X, you meet King in the boulder chamber, where he offers a gun he found (machine gun) or another Cure all. If you take the Machine Gun, after taking it, if you head back, Curly is dead on the bed, and the game continues with Toroko and King.

If you take the Cure All back to Curly, she's nearly dead, but the Cure All revives her strength. You then explain the situation and she joins the cause. Then the game continues with all the characters alive.

Either one you choose, after getting the boulder out of the way, Balrog comes in and says the "different text" due to Toroko being there.

The game then continues as planned with minor text changes.

And if you check the Jail Cell in the Plantation, King and Toroko are there, and Curly is brainwashed in the bed, as normal.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:10 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I sense a mod. :D

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:17 PM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
andwhyisit said:
I sense a mod. :D
Exactly.

X-Calibar brought a very good sample for an Ultimate Ending. Everything went okay. I would be glad to see a mod like this. If I just found a tutorial for modding....

Maybe someone already posted a Youtube video for SW tutorial?

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:17 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Refuse to go to Kazuma. Jump off the end of the island and watch the ending roll!

Oh, that was already made.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:14 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Accept the offer, but save the island anyway.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:55 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
RHF64 said:
Accept the offer, but save the island anyway.
You can do that in Cave Story. Does nothing though.

Though we should make it so that doing so means that Kazuma won't catch you in the normal ending, and that you will end up falling to your death as a result.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:58 PM
Been here way too long...
You ending up falling to your life. The events of Cave Story have prepared you for what the surface holds in store, and you rediscover yourself in the harsh envirnment of a post-war nation. And you survive the fall by landing on a fat person.
Yeah, that would make an awesome sequel.

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:01 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Making these into mods probably wouldn't be too hard compared to making something from scratch...

But I've never released anything yet so no room to talk :D :D

Would be fun though :p

Okay here's another alternate scenerio :

You arrive at Sand Zone...
See Curly Brace walk away, and continue on as normal...
But you don't visit her right away! Instead, proceed to break the seal to reach the lower levels.
Once there grab a puppy and now while holding the puppy go visit Curly Brace!
This time Curly prepares to attack but notices you have Jenka's puppy...
So she doesn't attack right away, but cautiously talks to you and asks you if you are here to kill the Mimigas.
If you answer yes! Then events proceed like normal, but if not! Then it skips the machinegun battle with Curly. She doesn't offer you her machinegun however...

Events proceed like normal and you collect the puppies and Toroko and King's sad end proceed like normal. Quote gets zapped to the Labyrinth...

Continue... continue... until you make it to the doctor/nurse place. But don't go in! Instead, go and get the Cure-All without having the doctor ask you to retrieve it and seeing a bed-ridden Curly Brace. Then proceed onwards past MonsterX till you reach the critical point area [Booster falling from sky]...

Jump down to Booster in his fatal state... But give him the Cure-All! Booster immediately feels a bit better, and tells you about another Scout Robot that he met when heading to the Sand Zone...

And this is where Curly's Story begins...
[since Quote didn't beat up Curly when he first met her, she was strong enough to at least stand against Misery... but what happened was...]

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:05 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
X-Calibar said:
Continue... continue... until you make it to the doctor/nurse place. But don't go in! Instead, go and get the Cure-All without talking to the doctor and having him ask you to get it to save Curly. And then proceed onwards past MonsterX till you reach the critical point area [Booster falling from sky]...

You can't get the cure-all without talking to the doctor or the nurse. They give you the key to get into the abandoned hospital, remember?

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:10 AM
Been here way too long...
Well, I guess you would talk to the doctor, but not give the Cure-All to Curly.

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:16 AM
Indie game enthusiast
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
You can't get the cure-all without talking to the doctor or the nurse. They give you the key to get into the abandoned hospital, remember?
Ah durn, nope didn't remember :D Been a while since my last game...
But, then just modify what I said previously, and this time when you go in the Doctor's place there's no Curly Brace to be found!

The doctor asks you to retrieve the Cure-All anyways though, and if you give it to him he gives you something random of Nurse's.
Then once you get to the boulder chamber, Curly is there like normal...

But if you keep the Cure-All and give it to Booster then events proceed like above.

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:44 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"