A trailer for Cave Story?

Apr 13, 2006 at 6:23 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Hi guys, this is my first post here

I was thinking about making a trailer for Cave Story because all the people I try to explain the game to think it sounds lame or something equally bad. If I could make a trailer and actually show them the game in action it'd be better than trying to explain the game and showing them screenshots doesn't help either cause they don't really do the the game justice.

Anywho, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good program that would be good to use to make a trailer using different clips from in game action and such. I tried Windows Movie Maker but it really sucks from what I can tell...maybe I'm just doing it wrong or something...I dunno. Any help would be cool, thanks =D

Apr 13, 2006 at 6:38 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I'm not sure what people are using nowadays to record their time-attack videos and such, but I'm fairly sure that Adobe Premier would be a pretty decent program for the actual composition of the video trailer. Interesting idea by the way, can't wait to see it when you finish it. : )

-SkyeWelse

Apr 13, 2006 at 7:24 PM
Slacker
I'll probably use a program called HyperCam for recording the clips, I've been using it to record me going through the game with 3HP but the framerate I get is prrretty horrid..like 10fps, cause I think my computer doesn't have enough RAM. Unless there's a recording program that's better I'll probably end up having to use that, or get my friend's to record clips on their super uber better than my piece of crap computer >_>.

Apr 13, 2006 at 11:06 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I've been looking for a similar program, and I've tried tons and so far they either have not worked completely or worked WAY too slow :(

Apr 18, 2006 at 6:30 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Okay! Now that I figured out how to post :p :o
"I've been looking for a similar program, and I've tried tons and so far they either have not worked completely or worked WAY too slow "

I found a program that worked well last time I had to use it... [although far from the perfect program]; It can record up to 30 fps 32-bit color to AVI compressed or uncompressed [at least these are the settings I used]
It's called Capture Solution, and it was able to capture directX stuff as well..!

Oh and here's the program's website:
http://www.sprosoft.com/

It's a trial unfortantely without paying; and it leaves a small watermark in the corners; so possibly planning ahead you can get around that [maybe increasing the record size larger than the screen?]

In any case hope it helps!

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:45 AM
Slacker
I haven't been able to do much more than get clips of the game at this point =/

That Adobe Premier program you suggested doesn't seem to want to work on my computer, so I dunno what else to use.

Also I figured out how to get really good framerates with HyperCam. You can go into the options of Cave Story and make it run at the smallest window size, then you can right click the .exe to Cave Story go under properties and then under the compatibility tab you can check "Run in 640x480 screen resolution". That way it's easier for HyperCam to record, and that way the screen isn't too small to play on, and you get much better fps! I'm sure this would also help with programs similar to HyperCam too so give it a shot.

Anyway, If anyone knows of another program that would be decent to make trailers on, that'd be awesome so I can do more than get clips from the game x_x.

Apr 19, 2006 at 8:09 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Besides Adobe Premier [although I don't know why it won't work... what's it do? or say?]
There's Avid, Final Cut [for Apple], Sony Vegas [don't know much about this one], Ulead i think has one...

[I use Avid, but without buying it, I don't think you can do much with the free one]
I'll check later if you still can't find a solution :o

Apr 26, 2006 at 9:28 PM
Slacker
Finally got unlazy and worked some more on this >_>..

I tried Avid but it wouldn't work for some error reason.

But with VirtualDubMod I made some sort of trailer, but I couldn't do like, scene transitions and stuff because VirtualDubMod can't do that I don't think.

My friend is gonna try installing Adobe Premier on his computer and we're both gonna work on it, making it better and longer probably. But for now, I've uploaded my progress on it, and I'd like some feedback maybe? >_>..Hope you guys don't hate it or something.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VO1XFZOE

Apr 27, 2006 at 5:44 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
May 19, 2006 at 7:00 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
So what program did you end up using to record?
I've been playing with window's media encoder, but it causes my frame rates to go to nothing, therefor killing me.

May 20, 2006 at 4:43 AM
Slacker
I think I mentioned it before, but I used HyperCam to record since you can specify what area of the screen to record. But the real trick is to getting good framerates(it worked for me at least) is to make the screensize of Cave Story to be the lowest (320x240 windowed) and then to right click the .exe of Cave Story and click the combatibility tab. From there you can check mark "Run in 640x480 Resolution" which will make the screen big enough to see and actually play on, but still be "small" enough to record and get good framerates. Hope this helps =D

May 20, 2006 at 5:24 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Nice...
It works quite well and Hypercam is a bit easier to use than windows media encoder too. :eek:

May 20, 2006 at 10:34 AM
Slacker
Glad I could help heh =D

Whatcha recording for?

May 20, 2006 at 1:27 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
There was once a program called frabs,Google it it is good for making trailers.

May 20, 2006 at 1:34 PM
Slacker
This I know. Fraps runs in full screen only far as I know. I could not record at fullscreen without my framerate dropping to 15, and I'm pretty sure no one is going to be interested in watching ANY game run at 15 fps.

Unless by some wierd chance you actually did mean frabs and that wasn't a typo..then I've never heard of it.

May 20, 2006 at 2:00 PM
Thanks for correcting Chaddy,Yes I meant fraps and yes I know fraps suck,I don't know any other tough.

May 20, 2006 at 2:45 PM
Slacker
Hypercam has worked for every recording need that I've had (I've mentioned throughout this topic o_O) so if you gotta record something..use that.

May 20, 2006 at 3:22 PM
Can you just make sure that if its an .avi file, you give a link to the codec? I can never find the right codecs for those.

May 20, 2006 at 3:48 PM
Slacker
Uh...*confused..*

If you're talking about the trailer I was making...I uploaded it to YouTube and the link is in a previous post..if you're not referring to the trailer I have no idea what you're talking about o_o