10th Aniversary of Cave Story- The Forum Site History

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:57 AM
"Huzzah!"
Well, its that time of year, the moment we've all been waiting for ever since its debut:

Cave Story's 10th Aniversary!!!

Although we didn't have anything exciting from Pixel this year (as expected), the community has made up for this by the ever existance of this Forum and the greatness of mods created for our sheer enjoyment.

So, I would like this thread to recollect all the fondest memories you've had over the years since the dawn of all time(The creation of the Cave Story Forums).

My memory: I praise the Forums for all the times I decided to quit the forms but then came back. (The spring 2013 to winter 2013 hiatus). Unlike other forums, this one keeps its charm as it ages. I remember the time I learned how to be less demading and more patient online (http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/92117/

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 30, 2014 at 7:53 AM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I remember the time when I was heartbroken when Cavern Tale was canceled. I nearly died...

Nov 30, 2014 at 9:32 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Well Happy Birthday Cave Story:heart:
For me as a new member I don't remember much happened for months, but it was great moment when I found about the Curly's Challenge Secret/Bug/I don't know.
Anyway I hope Pixel and the Forum's members all the best and let's hope the forums to last 10 years more. :)

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Coming here and participating on these forums was a truly eye-opening experience for me. Everyone was so kind, so supportive so helpful, so patient... even when I made terrible mistakes time and again. I have learnt a lot from everything, and it was great fun to escape into a world where people actually know and care about Cave Story as compared to my own boring real life. I really want to thank everyone for everything, and of course, Pixel for Cave Story. Happy Birthday! And I hope no one here forgets anything about this time, when they were here, spending time with friends, enjoying Cave Story, etc. Cave Story has been an amazing experience, a unifying bond for us all. And may it and the forums live on forever and ever and ever, Amen!

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Forever 12
The Anniversary isn't untill the 20TH of December, but, I supposed it dosen't hurt to have an anniversary thread up before hand.

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:57 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
(Put in a spoiler box due to length of story)

I remember signing up in September, where I fell victim to a glitch that wouldn't send the confirmation email to confirm my account (eventually I contacted Andwhyisit and he had the problem taken care of.) (Thanks Andwhy!) So after about a month I theorized that the computers in Cave Story were Atari 400/800/XL/XEs or Commodore 64s due to the computers being text-only (as far as we can tell), using all capital letters by default (which I realized a long time after my theory was posted), and because the text color was white and the background color was blue. (http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/173477/)
After that, I went on to start making a bunch of theories. Not just for Cave Story either. Heck, not even for video games. Examples include:

What is the actual answer to Life, the Universe, and everything?
What is the significance of a human in the Universe?
What is the meaning of life?
How can death be stopped?
Etc, etc. Of course, <SARno one wants the answers to those questions.<END
And then after I started making these theories, I realized that, somehow, I had become much smarter.
Explanation here:
And that the only event that I could think of that had any corrilation with me getting smarter was something I did while playing Cave Story (that's kind of a long story, and I don't want to put a long story in a long story about Cave Story.) Basically, I did something that I expected to feel guilty about, and got confusing amounts of guilt. Confusing, due to the fact that I actually didn't feel guilty. Days, weeks, months passed, and I still didn't feel guilty.

I was confused at, well, myself. It was something I should've felt guilty about, so why didn't I feel guilty? I couldn't come up with an answer. Although after some thinking, I realized this wasn't the first time this had happened to me, and that I wasn't the first person to be wrong about what I was going to think, or feel.

People telling me how I'd feel wasn't really a new thing. People were telling me what I was going to think, or feel, and sometimes they'd be right, sometimes they'd be wrong. I never stopped to think about how, or why, the people who were wrong, for a lack of different wording, were wrong. I just thought to myself "Of course they were wrong, they aren't me! How should they know how I'll feel?"

Well, you can't really use that thought process if the person who was wrong about how you would feel was, in fact, you. So for the first time, I stopped and wondered why they were wrong. The only answer I could think of was: "What they're saying is what a majority of people would think. Kind of a "one answer fits most people" answer.

... I could keep ranting but this is already way too long. I'll just write a book on the story I was just telling and my theories.

So, uh, yeah. Now I'm working on a Cave Story mod (not sharing details because reasons), I've got that book that I should probably start writing extremely soon if I want to get it released before 2017 (hoping for 2015, but I might need more time than that.), And between philosophies (because I'm smart), voice acting (because epic voice), and game modding/creating (because computers), I can (maybe) be famous. Cave Story helped me with about two of those things

(Most of) You guys are awesome, and I would like to thank you for having enough patients to read what I write, and to give input to help me improve what I write. I say "most of" because this is a forum site, and like most forum sites, There will always be those members that no one likes *cough*quute*cough*.

Well, that just happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 30, 2014 at 2:18 PM
2dbro
Lets just remember the good days of when I made my first mo- oh god please no

Wow, ten years of Cave Story. It makes me feel old, sorta.
Well everyone knows that I suck at long-length messages so
Happy Early Birthday, Cave Story!
now where's that hb org tpcool made for elecmaw

Nov 30, 2014 at 3:01 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
I remember the time I made a mod and it sucked.

Nalrog's still best character.

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:57 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I think you guys are celebrating a bit early there. I'm pretty sure that the Cave Story Tribute Site and its associated forums weren't around until after Cave Story was released. If you look back to the beginning of the Cave Story discussion section, you'll find that the earliest thread is from March of 2005. The reason you see Skyewelse's join date predate Cave Story's release was that these forums used to be a part of a forum called the Miraigamer forums in which people discussed some indie games including but not primarily focusing on Cave Story. In 2010, Skyewelse handed the reins of leadership to andwhyisit who hosted his own forum domain and transplanted all the Cave Story-related threads and registered users from the Miraigamer forums into the forum we know now that's meant primarily for discussing Cave Story.

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:53 PM
War criminal
I remember when I joined back in June 2013. And then I actually started talking like a month later! ^w^; But I've been a regular member since then, and I will continue being one for I don't know how much longer. I have some nice memories here and in the skype group, and I also have some memories I wish never happened. But enough talk about when I procrastinated working on Story Changed (What? You were expecting me to talk about something else?). I hope good things will keep coming to us in the upcoming future in these forums.

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:42 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I remember when I made GKA2 and everyone hated it. That was fun.

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:58 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
TheVirtualBoy said:
I remember when I made GKA2 and everyone hated it. That was fun.
Correction:

"I remember when I made an extremely unfinished mod, abandoned it and made a 'sequel' after about 5 days that was also extremely unfinished before abandoning that and beginning work on a new mod"

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:54 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Reddeh Le Steddeh said:
Correction:

"I remember when I made an extremely unfinished mod, abandoned it and made a 'sequel' after about 5 days that was also extremely unfinished before abandoning that and beginning work on a new mod"
Is that what happened? Oh...
And I'm still working on GKA 2. I just gave it a new title and am fixing some stuff.

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Happy birthday, Cave Story. Thank you for existing. <3

To celebrate, I've been breaking rules in order to replay Cave Story on a 3HP Polar Star run. Once I finish, I can fully play through the kind of sequel, Jenka's Nightmare, for the first time! I'm certainly feeling the love recently. :mahin:

I'd also like to get a new high score on its successor, Kero Blaster. I kind of gave up after (admittedly) seeing GIR own the Boss Rush in ways I can't top, replicate, or even shoddily copy after dozens and dozens of tries. Jealousy is not a good thing and I shouldn't buy into it. I should know by now that I'll probably never be skilled enough to do things for glory - and hey, even a slight improvement on a crappy time is better than no improvement!

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:24 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm so happy to see a such game surviving in fan's mind... And hard disks...
But even if I try to sharing it with my friends, they don't seam interested in it. :/

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Been here way too long...
You guys decided to celebrate Cave Story by jerking off to your join date? I'm quite surprised that we don't already have a thread for that, but whatever, might as well do it here. Maybe someone will make a proper anniversary thread later.

On topic: I remember when we used to talk about Cave Story all the time. Everybody posted content in the general discussion and theories forums, and we all thought that was fun. Most of the actual game-related discussion nowadays is kicked off by a newbie asking something, and us bitter tyrants shitting liquid sarcasm down their neck. Truly, it was a different time. We'll never get someone like Jacob Xanth again, and you should all lament that.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Professional Whatever
Way to ruin the mood, fab