its
Reaction score

Profile posts Postings About

• Update regarding the "corrupting mod type of thing:"

So, I am working on two projects at the moment here. I am working on a whole new mod (something that is NOT "CSBB") and another mod where it IS a "CSBB." Let's focus on the "CSBB" type of mod:

Each time I finish modding modding (like, the executable of the game for example), I always test the game to ensure everything works smoothly. Once it meets my satisfaction standards, I feel proud of myself and move onto whatever other task I have thereafter. At the end of the day, I power off my PC (or Virtual Machine, in this case) and do whatever else, like heading to bed. The next day I go to edit my mod (the executable, again) again, CaveEditor just crashes. Why? Because discovering by going into the game's directory, I notice that the game has absolutely no icon, and executing it will alert you that it has been corrupted (additionally, DoConfig still has an icon). It just seems like that every time I power off my machine and boot back into it, Windows just corrupts the entire game (not the files, just the executable). I am not sure why, but a majority (~20) of my mods, that are stored in the same folder (Documents), are still perfectly fine. I have absolutely no idea why this happens. It is extremely unlikely that using a Virtual Machine will cause it to corrupt it; my other mods are perfectly fine, and they would have been corrupted by now if that was the issue.
    I have not tried another machine other than this machine, but I already have the same expectations. I use a Virtual Machine specifically because I choose to not install any games onto my new, main PC. I do, however, have another machine, such as a laptop, that can run Cave Story (and CS mods), but it does not have great performance and can cause applications to lag because of its old processor, and its storage drive (HDD instead of an SSD).

So, I am actually out of ideas. Running the game in Compatibility Mode will not do any good, because the game is already corrupted. I have made several backups stored, but those got corrupted as well.
    Any help is appreciated, though.
    EnlightenedOne
    EnlightenedOne
    Sounds like hard drive failure possibly. I'd do a check for that and back things up.
    I actually have no idea where else to ask this hence I could not find a significant thread in Music, so I thought I would ask here.

Is there a way to convert a traditional MP3, WAV, or OGG file to an ORG file for use in the freeware version of Cave Story? I really want to add custom music to a mod I am working on using Resource Hacker, but I can only import .ORG files, otherwise the game would crash.

Does anyone have any idea?
    AlmaHexie
    AlmaHexie
    HaydenStudios
    HaydenStudios
    Converting a complex sound file like MP3/WAV/OGG into the specific format or ORG is no simple task. In order to automate this, it requires a complex machine learning algorithm that can recognize sounds in an MP3, and translate them into the equivalent ORG file. There is actually a program that can do this though, but it's very expensive. The name of the program is GIRakaCHEEZER.
    mxOZfY9.png

Days of working on the mod, fucking Windows does this shit. Unbelievable. I guess all I can do is recover most of the Stage and NPC files, along with the TSC files and copy it all in a new Cave Story directory.
    Cibryll
    Cibryll
    Er… forgive me for asking (I can't view images on my mobile device :-/ ) but what did Windows do?
    its
    its
    Apparently, Windows corrupted the main game file ('Doukutsu.exe') and upon opening it says, "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." Since nothing loads up in the game (because I cannot get that far with that error popping up) it does not output an 'error.txt' file to view what the problem is.

Quite unfortunate, I have been working on that mod for days, but it is all okay now - I restored it by copying all the TSC files and all the Stage files from the 'data' folder into a fresh Cave Story directory, then applied the appropriate tileset for some modified maps, and it was good to go. One of the TSC scripts got corrupted (and it was an extremely important script) on one of the maps, so I had to try my best to rewrite it all.

So, yeah, that all happened.
    HaydenStudios
    HaydenStudios
    One of the reasons it's so important to constantly backup your mod, you never know when the whole thing might get corrupted.
    Banner looks pleasingly beautiful, I must say.

Edit: Kinda.
    HaydenStudios
    HaydenStudios
    Not bad.
    AlmaHexie
    AlmaHexie
    If you wanna put space backgrounds, I'd consider putting skyboxes from games or Unity asset store, they're pretty good and except if there is a limit for the pic, they flow pretty well because of how vaste the thing was thought for.
    Hello everyone that is lurking on this site. Just a question: What are the recommended resolutions for a profile banner on this forum?
    HaydenStudios
    HaydenStudios
    Heh, good question, I don't think most people here even use it. We didn't have that feature before we switched to Xenforo in ~2017, and I'm not sure if we even had that feature until a while after that switch, and nobody seemed to really care for it.
    its
    its
    How interesting. I was customizing my profile and ran into that setting, but sadly no recommended resolution was noted. Probably not going to use it.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…