Lace
Reaction score

Profile posts Postings Media Albums About

• Musicalization shall continue probs tomorrow or the day after. Also, do you know anything about the different phases of the alchemal process of creating the philosopher's stone (the black, white, yellow, and red phases (sometimes the latter two are lumped into one)) and how they apply to literature/storytelling?
    Wedge of Cheese
    Wedge of Cheese
    Regarding the other question, what prompted it was me reading <a href='http://www.mugglenet.com/ringtheory/ringtheory.shtml' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>this</a> and having my brain thoroughly blasted to pieces. Though there a couple little things in there I sorta disagree with, it's for the most part spot on. He explains the whole ring/turtleback thing very well, but not the alchemy thing so much. Wikipedia's descriptions of literary alchemy were unfortunately rather vague. And now I wanna go read The Hunger Games.
    Wedge of Cheese
    Wedge of Cheese
    Also, this conversation is sort of a ring composition. We resolve my last question before my other one, and the first thing I spoke of will presumably be discussed last xD
    Lace
    Lace
    Have you checked out TVTropes for stuff on ring compositions?
    What were you testing?
    Lace
    Lace
    So when you mouse over a thread's name while in the big index, a blurb appears which says "Go to the last page in <Thread Name>" or something along those lines. I noticed that for the "you're so addicted to cs lawl" thread, it cut off the title at "you". I was wondering whether apostrophes always had this effect, so I made a thread with an apostrophe in the title. It didn't cut off the title at no characters, so the mystery wasn't solved and suddenly there was a spam thread.

Yup!
    Noxid
    Noxid
    My favourite is how they take the code and format it in such a way that gives it visual form
    Truly this is an art
    Noxid
    Noxid
    Also,if you get a chance you should check out night.c, it's very cool
    Lace
    Lace
    amino acids, I notice!
    Wow, earlier today, I was just thinking about how I was proud of Randall that he refrained from jumping on the bandwagon and only made one comic making fun of Twilight, and it was actually quite funny/clever. Then I saw he made another one today, which was less funny, but still not bad.
    Lace
    Lace
    I'm going down the list of your songs right now.
    Here are songs I could bear eviscerating. Choose?
    -Sword in Hand
    -The World Over
    -Arctic Frolic
    -TPP Title Screen (even though it's like a bar long)
    -Death and Glory
    -Dragzelire Fist
    -Elemenion
    -Love Story
    -Defs Not a Rick Roll
    -Moon Base
    -Morbidium
    -Arctic Zephyrs
    -Wedgeofcheese's surprise!
    -Wizard's Duel
    Wedge of Cheese
    Wedge of Cheese
    I'm thinking The World Over. Will commence evisceration soon.
    Wedge of Cheese
    Wedge of Cheese
    tually let's do Arctic Winds/Gusts/Zephyrs/Tornadoes/whatever.
    So, what I'm thinking is I'll skip some of the less interesting/more redundant steps in my story of audio synthesis, and jump straight to my JMTone thingy, introducing any new concepts along the way. I'm guessing the conceptual stuff is what you're most interested in anyway, you being an N and all.
    Postathon will go in comments of this post. Also, due to the lack of the ability to view conversation, I no longer have a motivation to try to outdo Noxid, so I will revert back to my old style of a few long posts rather than a ton of short ones.
    Lace
    Lace
    Also why can't I edit
    >:[
    Wedge of Cheese
    Wedge of Cheese
    I suppose you can think of it that way, though the way I was thinking of it, f is a function over the real numbers, and S is a function over the functions over the real numbers, so S(f) is itself a function over the real numbers, so it makes more sense in my mind to say S(f)(t), but whatever.
    Wedge of Cheese
    Wedge of Cheese
    As it turns out, the transformation S is classified as a filter, because it has the following two properties:
    1) it's distributive over addition (S(f+g)=S(f)+S(g))
    2) the transformation of a sine wave is a sine wave with the same frequency (but not necessarily the same amplitude or phase)

That is not actually the most precise definition of a filter (a better one can be found <a href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_(signal_processing)' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>here</a>) but for our purposes, it's how we will define a filter.

Before we try to prove that S satisfies those properties, here's an interesting tidbit about sine and cosine waves that you may or may not already know.

Let's define a sine wave as a function of x in the form a*sin(2*pi*f*x+p)
    a=amplitude
    f=frequency (in Hertz, assuming x is a measurement of time in seconds)
    p=phase (in radians)
    w=angular velocity=2*pi*f (usually the greek letter omega is used, but I don't have one of those on my keyboard)

A cosine wave is simply a sine wave with 90 degrees (pi/2 radians) added to the phase.

the expression a*sin(w*x+p) can be rewritten like so:
    a*(sin(wx)*cos(p)+cos(wx)*sin(p))
    a*cos(p)*sin(wx) + a*sin(p)*cos(wx)
    let a1=a*cos(p),a2=a*sin(p)
    a1*sin(wx) + a2*cos(wx)

Notice that the formula for converting a and p to a1 and a2 is the same as the formula for converting polar coordinates to rectangular coordinates. In this way, you can think of sine waves as being analogous to 2d vectors, where the first representation (with a single sine term including phase) is like a polar representation of the vector, and the latter one (with both a sine and cosine term, but no phase) is like a rectangular representation of the vector. As it turns out, the set of all sine waves at a given nonzero frequency is isomorphic to the set of all 2d vectors.
    The issue appears to have been resolved by Update 1.0.1.2
    Noxid
    Noxid
    recommend downloading the latest update from the thread
    Is your name change intentional, or just a glitch in the software switch?
    Lace
    Lace
    "hey cutie. do you mind if I get a little bit ... <em class='bbc'>tangential</em>?"
    Is this an acceptable pickup line?
    Wedge of Cheese
    Wedge of Cheese
    Well, it would probably work on me. Though, to be fair, that may be all the more reason not to use it.
    Wedge of Cheese
    Wedge of Cheese
    Aaaand... it looks like there's not gonna be any "view conversation" feature, so postathon will resume tomorrow or maybe later today.
    I think that's enough for now; next time we'll look at another more interesting and more important use of the Smoother device, which I didn't become aware of until quite a bit later.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…