Project Ampersand

Jul 9, 2021 at 12:19 AM
"Huzzah!"
Today, I will be releasing a public test build of Project Ampersand.
This isn't really an official demo. This build is short, and I decided to release this because I've felt very pressured to release something, so sorry if this release feels rushed.
A proper demo will hopefully be released in a month or so.
Enjoy!
Please read the readme.txt, it has important information.

Attachments

• Project Ampersand Public Test Build (Early).zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Jul 9, 2021 at 5:10 AM
"Huzzah!"
played through, seems neat so far! will definitely make sure to check out the proper demo when it releases.

- the custom music is cool, did you make it?

- jump sound is a little annoying

- the areas so far seem kinda bland - especially the bigger rooms, they could use some more colour variety and varied geometry (not having so many flat surfaces, breaking up slopes etc)

- this isn't a super big deal but a health refill before the boss would be nice (or some hearts), since as far as i can tell there's no way to regen health after leaving the first room apart from enemy pickups - maybe even just having the boss room be a bit longer away so there's more enemies and more chance to pick up health

- speaking of the boss, if you get him to the left of the room and then run to the right, he'll get stuck against the dangling blocks and you can easily cheese him (i took a screenshot but it's not letting me upload it)

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:24 PM
"Huzzah!"
played through, seems neat so far! will definitely make sure to check out the proper demo when it releases.

- the custom music is cool, did you make it?

- jump sound is a little annoying

- the areas so far seem kinda bland - especially the bigger rooms, they could use some more colour variety and varied geometry (not having so many flat surfaces, breaking up slopes etc)

- this isn't a super big deal but a health refill before the boss would be nice (or some hearts), since as far as i can tell there's no way to regen health after leaving the first room apart from enemy pickups - maybe even just having the boss room be a bit longer away so there's more enemies and more chance to pick up health

- speaking of the boss, if you get him to the left of the room and then run to the right, he'll get stuck against the dangling blocks and you can easily cheese him (i took a screenshot but it's not letting me upload it)
Alright cool, I'll be sure to make changes that accommodate for the criticism you've given.

- I did in fact create the music
- The jump sound is supposed to sound different, but for some reason, it sounds off when used in Cave Story.
- People keep saying the areas look bland, and I've been meaning to change them for a while.
- Yeah probably.
- I've never had that happen. I'll be sure to fix that.

You should probably also watch this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmiBafwFt4c&ab_channel=ExtraLife

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 5:48 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Ah, I've noticed that avatar of yours for some time, didn't realize that was a character in a mod you were making.

I'll probably hold off on playing this for right now, at least until another release, since it sounds like there are some things you'll be tweaking soon. That way, when I play it, I'll have a fresh set of eyes on a new and improved version.

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:48 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey, due to a problem with the forums the uploaded zip file of the mod is now missing, mind reuploading it to another website like Google Drive or Mega? Thanks!

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:02 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Ok I finally got a chance to play this, ig ill do the playthrough text thing
- comes with a Profile.dat in the version I downloaded

1626288874230.png
-<CLR mid sentence is a bit weird but ok

1626288947313.png
-no corner wall decoration on the save point's tile

-the music here is pretty good tbh

-level design is a little bland though

1626289052248.png
-ok i'd recommend making the background tiles around this door darker so it's more obvious it's background tiles, especially since these tiles were foreground tiles in the beta

-oh no dark balrog wants to fight me

1626289215679.png
-i like how he gets stuck on this block right here so i can just camp behind it and shoot him

1626289463933.png
also another missing corner tile here

oh and its over lol

overall it's alright for a short 5 minute demo but it could be polished a little more

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 12:11 AM
"Huzzah!"
Ok I finally got a chance to play this, ig ill do the playthrough text thing
- comes with a Profile.dat in the version I downloaded

View attachment 7926
-<CLR mid sentence is a bit weird but ok

View attachment 7927
-no corner wall decoration on the save point's tile

-the music here is pretty good tbh

-level design is a little bland though

View attachment 7928
-ok i'd recommend making the background tiles around this door darker so it's more obvious it's background tiles, especially since these tiles were foreground tiles in the beta

-oh no dark balrog wants to fight me

View attachment 7929
-i like how he gets stuck on this block right here so i can just camp behind it and shoot him

View attachment 7930
also another missing corner tile here

oh and its over lol

overall it's alright for a short 5 minute demo but it could be polished a little more
Thank you for the feedback. Here's my response the criticism you've given.
- I was going to delete the save file, but I forgot.
- I did that so the text wouldn't be cut off.
- When I added something to that corner, it removed another part of the tiling.
- Thanks.
- I've been wanting to give the maps a bit of a revamp for a while. Luckily I have a couple of people who've volunteered to help with that.
- Perhaps I could do that.
- It will be revealed why SekkenBot is a Balrog recolor later in the mod.
- I should probably fix that.
- Like I said, when I added something to that corner, it removed another part of the tiling.
I noticed how you called this a "demo" at the end. This release isn't really a demo, this is an early test build, and a real demo will be released later when enough of the mod is complete.
Anyways, I'll be sure to take your thoughts into consideration when developing Project Ampersand.

Oct 22, 2021 at 1:16 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Extra Life has "hired" me as a programmer for the mod. We've ported it to CSE2 and already implemented a handful of features. If it's OK with Extra Life, maybe we could release a proper demo soon...

Oct 22, 2021 at 9:32 PM
"Huzzah!"
Extra Life has "hired" me as a programmer for the mod. We've ported it to CSE2 and already implemented a handful of features. If it's OK with Extra Life, maybe we could release a proper demo soon...
There will need to be a certain amount of things implemented in order for a proper demo to be released. (I'll tell you what those things are on Discord)
Also, It's more like volunteering than hiring because you aren't getting payed.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 10:08 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
There will need to be a certain amount of things implemented in order for a proper demo to be released. (I'll tell you what those things are on Discord)
Also, It's more like volunteering than hiring because you aren't getting payed.
Or we could call it

Exploitation!!

Dec 13, 2022 at 9:41 PM
"Huzzah!"
Might as well finally announce it here. Project Ampersand is cancelled, and kind of already has been for a while. I originally put it on hold, but I've decided to cancel it entirely because it was ultimately too ambitious for me to make. It also just doesn't feel the same anymore. To be honest, nothing feels the same anymore. I'm really sorry to anyone who was looking forward to Project Ampersand and are now disappointed. I'm pretty disappointed too. I had so many ideas for the characters, story, and lore, but unfortunately, none of it will be realized.

That's all.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 12:30 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
That's okay, onto bigger and better things... I know the feeling, sometimes a project can start to feel like more of a chore than a fun hobby, and it can eventually drag you down. Best of luck in whatever you do in the future.

Jan 10, 2023 at 1:53 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I saw this coming, and it was about time.
As a contributor to the mod, I can say development kinda went to hell up to the hiatus, and ultimate cancellation, of the mod. Nothing was getting done...
Like Hayden said, I hope you move onto bigger and better things, and get to make the indie game of your dreams one day. I won't forget Project Ampersand.