Cave Story: Tweaked (NEW: Version 1.4!)

May 19, 2020 at 4:42 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Tbh, this actually sounds like the start of a possible TAS implementation. Would definitely do the speedrunners a huge favor.

May 19, 2020 at 4:43 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
that looks very funny, can't wait to see speedruns at 50% speed
150% speedruns when

(trivia: you can use the Konami code in CS+ Switch to make the game run at 150% speed. Would recommend.)

May 19, 2020 at 5:44 PM
"Huzzah!"
150% speedruns when

(trivia: you can use the Konami code in CS+ Switch to make the game run at 150% speed. Would recommend.)

seriously? hold on i'll be right back
edit: can't find the button for START so I gotta take a second

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 2:40 PM
"Huzzah!"
seriously? hold on i'll be right back
edit: can't find the button for START so I gotta take a second
it should be pressing down on the right stick. Make sure its on the screen before the menu, where it says "Press A to Start" or something like that.

May 26, 2020 at 2:38 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Here it is, guys, gals and non-binary pals:

Welcome to Version 1.0! This is the first major release of Cave Story: Tweaked. This includes all features of 0.8.4 as well as several new ones and fixes.

Changelog is big for this one so it gets to be spoilered:

New

• Added Controls option: Strafing! You can map a Key (C by default) or button in your controller to walk without changing your facing direction. This is based on how Cave Story+ for Switch implements said feature.
  • Added Tweak: Boss Health Multiplier! This lets you lower (or increase) the max life of every boss in the game, from a measle 1 HP to a full fledged 200% increase.
  • Added Tweak: Game Speed modifier! Change the speed the game moves at in real time, from 50% to 150%.
Changed

• Revamped Title Screen!
    • New background art, inspired by CS+
    • Reworked Title Logo. Also better centered.
    • Replaced Title.png "New" and "Load" text with ingame font "New Game" and "Continue" text.
    • Added Options, Tweaks, and Quit options to the title screen menu.
    • ESC/Pause buttons do not work on title screen anymore (redundant as Quit and Options are now reachable from title screen alone).
    • Continue option is now disabled and cannot be selected if the game cannot find a Profile.dat file (i.e., if there's no save file to continue off of).
  • Fixed issues with movement that made it to v0.8.4 after a failed implementation of Mirror Mode.
  • Fixed positioning of Yamashita farm Kiosk and Mimiga Village Cage.
  • Fixed an issue with Grace Jumps pushing the player upwards when trying to use Boosters during the grace jump window.
  • Fixed maptile spikes not following Damage Received tweak settings.
  • Curly's Nemesis in Hell now obeys Autofire Tweak settings.
  • Increased grace jump window from 6 to 9 frames.
  • Recolored the red line in Labyrinth B to make it visible for colorblind people (and in colorblind filters).
  • Reordered options in Tweaks Menu
  • Game now defaults to 480p windowed in first boot (rather than fullscreen)
Imported from Cave Story Engine 2 Enhanced

• Added support for Wii U console (build not included, sadly :( instructions to build it yourself in readme). Requires a softmodded Wii U with homebrew Launcher.
  • Added Soundtrack toggle support.
Known issues/Limitations

• Boss Health Multiplier doesn't apply to already loaded bosses.
  • Modifying game speed can result in some frames of stuttering after increasing speed.
Hotfix 1.0.0.1
  • Fixed issue with Quote being unable to jump while standing on slopes

Additionally, there's a little detail/easter egg you may find related to title screen. It's not too hard to find so I expect you to crack it soon.

You can download it from here, Windows and Debian builds: https://github.com/calvarado194/Cave-Story-Engine-2/releases/tag/v1.0.0.1-tweaks

I'd like to thank the following people for helping with development of Tweaks in general:
  • BLink, for handing me code for strafing
  • Onyx, for the new title logo and carets for pause menu
  • Kayo, Tert, SebasContre, Varin, excogs, kalarse and Amber for playtesting.
  • halfcoordinated for accesibility-focused playtesting and guidance

Also, because why not, here's the new title screen:

bcomp

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 9:20 AM
"Huzzah!"
Holy crap, this looks incredible, amazing job, not that you have to hear it from me.

May 27, 2020 at 5:56 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Bugfix release v1.0.3 is out!

Fixes
  • Fixed Machine Gun (all levels) and Bubbline Level 2 not working properly with Autofire set on Hold.
  • Fixed screen flash settings not being properly loaded on game load.
  • Fixed boosters being unequipped from game if you loaded a save file while Default Booster set to None.
  • Fixed issue with game unequipping Airtank when activating or loading a save file with Default Booster tweak.
Imported from CSE2 Enhanced
  • Fixed issues with ORG playback when window was unfocused.

Download here: https://github.com/calvarado194/Cave-Story-Engine-2/releases/tag/v1.0.3

May 28, 2020 at 12:15 AM
"Huzzah!"
  • Fixed issues with ORG playback when window was unfocused.
if by unfocused you mean when looking at another window that the music still plays I can't tell if that's a good or bad thing, probably a good thing, and probably not what that means
I also really appreciate how much time you're putting into this, not that that's important.

May 31, 2020 at 10:33 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Minor Release v1.1 is out!

New
  • Added an Extended UI option in Options Menu. This will toggle extra UI elements this branch will receive in the future, and is on by default. Setting it to off will lead to the usual UI of Cave Story.
    • First Extended UI: Booster Level! You can see the current Booster fuel level (given that you have a booster equipped)
Fixed
  • Fixed issues with Bubbler level 2 and 3 not working as intended.
Extended UI is a plan to add a couple new features to the UI of Cave Story. A lot of features in version 2.0 will be based on improving the general UI of the game.

Download here: https://github.com/calvarado194/Cave-Story-Engine-2/releases/tag/v1.1-tweaks

Jun 6, 2020 at 6:44 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
more feature spoilers: a brand new map system!
p373350-0-cstweaksmap.gif

Map is fully revamped! The map is drawn in real time, and it shows doors, items, save disks and life refill stations. You can scroll thru the map with the arrow keys/dpad.

Note: Map Frame is from Cave Story 3D and will be replaced before releasing with this feature.

Jun 6, 2020 at 6:59 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This is a Pog feature. I've always wanted to see a map system more similar to Cave Story 3D's in a mod, as well as with indicators for save points, health refills, and life capsules. Makes it more interactive like the map in Super Metroid or the Metroid 1 GBA remake.

Jun 6, 2020 at 7:28 AM
"Huzzah!"
I really like this new feature, but you know what I really love? That new bar that tells me how much Booster Fuel is left.
Makes me wonder: if I increased the max fuel would that bar also deplete slower?

Jun 9, 2020 at 6:10 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
This is a Pog feature. I've always wanted to see a map system more similar to Cave Story 3D's in a mod, as well as with indicators for save points, health refills, and life capsules. Makes it more interactive like the map in Super Metroid or the Metroid 1 GBA remake.

Absolutely! CS3D's map is one of its best features, and freeware map is uhhhh very useless.

I really like this new feature, but you know what I really love? That new bar that tells me how much Booster Fuel is left.
Makes me wonder: if I increased the max fuel would that bar also deplete slower?

Right now the limit is hardcoded, as it is in CSE2 Enhanced. I could change it maybe.

Also, next Tweaks Release will have the options menu fully translated to Japanese for its Japanese Build:

unknown.png

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:00 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It's been a while, hasn't it?

Version 1.2 is finally out!
New
  • Fully Revamped Map System! Lifting features from Cave Story 3D, the map is now much more useful! You can move it around with your directional buttons, it shows your location, it shows exits and item locations, as well as save points and health refill stations.
  • Added option to disable controller input for PC versions.
  • Currently connected controller will dispay its name in the controls menu
  • Japanese Build now has a fully translated Pause menu, with tweaks included!
Fixed
  • Fixed issues with Title screen tweaks settings not applying properly to game.
  • Fixed spur issues when using autofire.
  • Reimplemented Default Booster tweak from scratch to remove all issues with previous implementations
Imported from CSE2
  • Fixed issues with audio playback on WiiU
Windows Build is available for download here: https://github.com/calvarado194/CSE2-tweaks/releases/tag/v1.2

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 4:02 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
version 1.2.1 is out!
  • Fixed several issues with code backends, and merged all pending changes from CSE2 Enhanced.
  • Added map frame! Thank you to Onyx for providing the new art for it.
  • Added new Extended UI element: Soundtrack display! You'll get a cute little display of currently playing music track whenever it changes.

Download here: https://github.com/calvarado194/CSE2-tweaks/releases/tag/v1.2.1

Jul 12, 2020 at 8:50 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Looking very slick. The new map is quite nice to play with!

btw: I did notice that the text is off centered on signs and things using text without portraits. Made worse by the wider windowed choices. Don't see that in vanilla CS2E.

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:58 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Looking very slick. The new map is quite nice to play with!

btw: I did notice that the text is off centered on signs and things using text without portraits. Made worse by the wider windowed choices. Don't see that in vanilla CS2E.
Yea, I've noticed it as well. It's a side effect of the new fonts I'm using. I need to get aroudn fixing it but it's quite tedious.

Oct 13, 2020 at 2:58 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Surprise, this project is still active!

1.3 will include a lot of features, and the most recent of them is Background Brightness settings!

Players will be able to set background brightness from 100% to 75%, 50% or 25%. This should help those who have issues parsing backgrounds or those who find them too distracting to focus better on the actual action.

p374314-0-eklhqs5xkaabuosformatpngname900x900.png