Your Stupidest Deaths in Cave Story?

May 15, 2018 at 11:56 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Just edit them into one post like I did. I also got a warning for that.

May 16, 2018 at 12:32 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Or just, y'know, don't be too eager to post if you feel like there are other posts you should quote.

This is a handy feature, too.
p364221-0-yp20ec.gif

May 16, 2018 at 12:51 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Or just, y'know, don't be too eager to post if you feel like there are other posts you should quote.

This is a handy feature, too.
p364221-0-yp20ec.gif

Yep, just did that, let's just go back on-topic again.

May 16, 2018 at 2:20 AM
Jun 11, 2018 at 4:54 AM
"fuck mother"
-vinnie 2016

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 8:30 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I've gotten to the point where I can clear Wind Fortress well enough, but I still don't have enough skill to keep track of the utter insanity that is the Sanctuary

Always fun to run out of booster while panicking and trying not to get hit

Probably for the best I did my run through Cave Story without commentary (and used a Save Editor to give me plenty of health to brute-force my way through Hell for the sake of at least showing that ending) because I'd probably be growling incoherently by the time I got to the Core, since I was quite rusty at the game

Monster X is a heck of a wake-up boss in that regard and I actually looked up a speedrun of Cave Story to get a workable strategy for the Core (Sword+Super Missiles is the way to go, apparently)

Jun 11, 2018 at 9:30 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I've gotten to the point where I can clear Wind Fortress well enough, but I still don't have enough skill to keep track of the utter insanity that is the Sanctuary

Always fun to run out of booster while panicking and trying not to get hit

Probably for the best I did my run through Cave Story without commentary (and used a Save Editor to give me plenty of health to brute-force my way through Hell for the sake of at least showing that ending) because I'd probably be growling incoherently by the time I got to the Core, since I was quite rusty at the game

Monster X is a heck of a wake-up boss in that regard and I actually looked up a speedrun of Cave Story to get a workable strategy for the Core (Sword+Super Missiles is the way to go, apparently)
Hint for first room= instead of using your horizontal boost all at once, tap it and let your momentum carry you. You can also do this vertically by boosting up a little, letting go, hold right, and then move back to up arrow to boost up a bit again (move to arrow before boosting so you don't boost the wrong way!)
Also, when you get to Ballos, he is pretty simple because he always has a pattern. He will go under, up, over, and slam down. (Unless you boost above him instead of under at the end, or if you lead him to a wall but that may be possible only with hacked terrain)
Second phase, he will jump three times (except for first two), then freeze. Attack him with your weapon by standing on his eye socket, but run quickly. In a pinch, while running away let Curly shoot him. The bats give great EXP.
For the third phase, you don't even have to jump. Just use Curly (and if you have one, a ranged weapon) to shoot his spiky eyeballs. Be careful to get into the gaps while he rolls over you. There will be skulls falling but in a preset pattern and not too many.
Finally I usually spam Super Missiles in the final part and if they aren't levelled enough to finish the job I can use Curly. If you're worried about dying to the angels, do NOT use Spur! It will not allow you to use Curly to cover your behind. Use Curly also to get the angels from his head (you know how Curly works, point down in air to get things above you or up on ground)
I'd say the best strategies are to try to get the first three phases on lockdown so you can do the famous trick where you get hit by an angel, go through his shield, and spam Super Missiles. However pay attention and the fourth phase is okay. It's certainly a lot of fun to play it the "fair" way.

Jun 11, 2018 at 6:12 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hint for first room= instead of using your horizontal boost all at once, tap it and let your momentum carry you. You can also do this vertically by boosting up a little, letting go, hold right, and then move back to up arrow to boost up a bit again (move to arrow before boosting so you don't boost the wrong way!)
Also, when you get to Ballos, he is pretty simple because he always has a pattern. He will go under, up, over, and slam down. (Unless you boost above him instead of under at the end, or if you lead him to a wall but that may be possible only with hacked terrain)
Second phase, he will jump three times (except for first two), then freeze. Attack him with your weapon by standing on his eye socket, but run quickly. In a pinch, while running away let Curly shoot him. The bats give great EXP.
For the third phase, you don't even have to jump. Just use Curly (and if you have one, a ranged weapon) to shoot his spiky eyeballs. Be careful to get into the gaps while he rolls over you. There will be skulls falling but in a preset pattern and not too many.
Finally I usually spam Super Missiles in the final part and if they aren't levelled enough to finish the job I can use Curly. If you're worried about dying to the angels, do NOT use Spur! It will not allow you to use Curly to cover your behind. Use Curly also to get the angels from his head (you know how Curly works, point down in air to get things above you or up on ground)
I'd say the best strategies are to try to get the first three phases on lockdown so you can do the famous trick where you get hit by an angel, go through his shield, and spam Super Missiles. However pay attention and the fourth phase is okay. It's certainly a lot of fun to play it the "fair" way.
Yeah, I can get through the first two areas easily enough
I just lack the hand-eye coordination for everything else

Jun 11, 2018 at 9:41 PM
That's how i beat ballos every time. Now that I'm in hardmode with no missile I'll have to devise another plan.

Jul 1, 2018 at 5:47 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
On occasions, when fighting The Core I would actually drown. I always end up drowning because my focus is shifted temporarily on The Core and his attacks but because the water levels constantly rise and drop I'm always like "oh, it's fine. The water levels will come back down," so I stay in the lowest part of the area 'cause it's easiest place to dodge his attack for me. Then, as soon as the water levels start to drop and The Core is done doing his white balls of doom attack I focus my attention back on Quote and realize I'm about to drown so I start to try to get out of the water, but before I do I end up drowning.

Jul 1, 2018 at 6:47 AM
On occasions, when fighting The Core I would actually drown. I always end up drowning because my focus is shifted temporarily on The Core and his attacks but because the water levels constantly rise and drop I'm always like "oh, it's fine. The water levels will come back down," so I stay in the lowest part of the area 'cause it's easiest place to dodge his attack for me. Then, as soon as the water levels start to drop and The Core is done doing his white balls of doom attack I focus my attention back on Quote and realize I'm about to drown so I start to try to get out of the water, but before I do I end up drowning.

Probably not alone, but am I the only one who thinks the core is really easy?

Jul 1, 2018 at 8:25 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Relative to all the bosses in the game, I'd say it's a solid medium boss.

Jul 7, 2018 at 7:11 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I did that all the time when I started playing years ago!! I always stayed in the lower area because I didn't want to get hit by any of those white orbs or his basic attacks.

Oh, and getting killed by the Gravekeepers in the graveyard or letting Omega fall on me thus doing 20 damage.

Jul 17, 2018 at 7:01 AM
Probably not alone, but am I the only one who thinks the core is really easy?
Took me a few tries on my first run through the game

Once you know where to stand (far right upper platform in front of where the Core comes from) and know which weapons to use (Sword, Polar Star, Super Missiles) it becomes a much easier boss

Meanwhile Monster X has consistently continued to be a thorn in my side to the point I always use the Health Pot on it in Boss Rush because of how many projectiles it shoots at you

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:20 PM
I still cant beat monster X on hard with the machine gun, snake or PS. Halp. I keep dying to those blue things

Jul 17, 2018 at 4:44 PM
"Huzzah!"
I still cant beat monster X on hard with the machine gun, snake or PS. Halp. I keep dying to those blue things
just use the bubbler, and you shoulda saved polar star for the spur xdddddd
lol wait until you get to the core xdddddd

Jul 17, 2018 at 5:02 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well... I can just add ACTUALLY DROWNING during the Core boss fight before the mandatory "drowning" after the fight to my death list, as I'm currently replaying the game on my 3DS and I wasn't paying attention to the air meter when I was shooting at the Core underwater, so of course, I drowned.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 9:24 PM
I did that once, because I was wallcamping The Core with the Snake, & forgot to breathe.