HELP! I NEED A GUIDE!

Mar 10, 2018 at 8:41 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Um, hi, does anyone know of a modding guide(for Cave Story) for absolute beginners?
Also, I'm on a Mac, so I would need a guide that teaches you how to mod CS on a Mac.
Everything is helpful! Thank you!

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:04 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Um, hi, does anyone know of a modding guide(for Cave Story) for absolute beginners?
Also, I'm on a Mac, so I would need a guide that teaches you how to mod CS on a Mac.
Everything is helpful! Thank you!

do you know how to get an editor that works on your Mac

Mar 11, 2018 at 1:29 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Mar 11, 2018 at 5:40 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Booster's Lab is java, it can run on a mac with zero issues.

The problem is there is no editor for the mac .app executible (a native port that used the source code), you can sorta port windows mods to mac but andwhy I don't think ever explained how he does it completely. Plus most of us couldn't play said mac-port mod anyway.

It's possible. I made Cavern Tale (that one terrible mod that is pure nostaliga and has no redeeming qualities) on a mac, you just gotta use wine or something, which you would have to google around to learn how to use a wine utility yourself because my old 2013 files don't work on the latest mac software and I can't be bothered.

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:00 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Well, if you're on a Mac i couldn't really help you, but if you plan on getting a Desktop sometime in the near future, Here's a modding Guide that was uploaded by Noxid:
https://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/noxids-modding-hacking-resources.2046/
Thank you.

Booster's Lab is java, it can run on a mac with zero issues.

The problem is there is no editor for the mac .app executible (a native port that used the source code), you can sorta port windows mods to mac but andwhy I don't think ever explained how he does it completely. Plus most of us couldn't play said mac-port mod anyway.

It's possible. I made Cavern Tale (that one terrible mod that is pure nostaliga and has no redeeming qualities) on a mac, you just gotta use wine or something, which you would have to google around to learn how to use a wine utility yourself because my old 2013 files don't work on the latest mac software and I can't be bothered.
Okay, thanks, I'll try that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 12, 2018 at 6:50 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Okay, thanks, I'll try that.
Yeah, I was just about to say that. A lot of other tools (like some debug tools and save editors of the like) are Windows only though, and because of the heavy amount of file editing they would not work well in Wine at all to my information. However, a lot of the modding tools made here tend to be made in Java. @Leo40Story 's Cave Save Edit, @Noxid 's Booster's Lab and @Carrotlord 's Doukutsu Assembler are 3 I can name from the top of my head.

Also this thread is literally the (fourth?) from the top in modding discussion.

It may be a little outdated, but it has enough to get you started.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 7:14 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Mar 12, 2018 at 7:44 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
...how is a save editor a modding tool?

i used that at first to give the starting character a spur with 3 ammo it was pretty cool

but then i realized i could also do it with other stuff so i did that later but it helped me at first