The Official CSTSF Discord Group and CS Modding Community Modding Competition! (MODCON '17)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2017 at 5:52 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Did you also make a copy of the .pxa file that corresponds to the original bitmap? The bitmap should be PrtName.bmp and the .pxa file should be Name.pxa, like Name part is the same in both files.
Yeah, I did that. It's still not working for some reason.

Jun 12, 2017 at 2:25 AM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
Yeah, I did that. It's still not working for some reason.
Not working, as in, you can't use it? Can't edit it? Does it not copy correctly?

Jun 12, 2017 at 2:50 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
Not working, as in, you can't use it? Can't edit it? Does it not copy correctly?
When I copy it to a different mod's folder, I can't select the tileset when editing that mod in Cave Editor or Booster's Lab.

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:11 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
is it called "Prt<whatever>.bmp"
the prefix is important

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:29 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
Jun 12, 2017 at 3:42 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
well booster's lab doesn't use pbms like, at all, so there probably isnt much I can do to help you with that

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:51 AM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
Jun 14, 2017 at 1:33 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Wait... there's a difference between the "Modding Community" and the Discord group? How? Anyway, I probably won't have time to... September... wait a second.... I might be able to submit! Noice!

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:48 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
Well, I still don't think it's working, but I renamed it anyway, and I'm posting it here.
It's mostly just expanded sand tiles, but it should serve to get some of you started.

Attachments

• BeachTiles.zip
    8.7 KB · Views: 16
Jul 8, 2017 at 1:07 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Aloha, amigos, I do believe it's time for a progress bump. How's everyone doing? While I've been seeing a lot of screenshots and such floating around in the Discord, it's somewhat difficult to keep up with who's doing what, or particularly any thoughts they may have had about the contest itself.

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:33 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
p359265-0-dlvtqkk.png

i'm working on something

how "hard" is the 20 minute suggested limit? I feel like I might go over that a bit. How long did it take to play hacker story last year I forget. I mean i guess it depended how much trouble you had with the puzzles and enemies...

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:19 PM
"Huzzah!"
I'm currently working on something. Just started a few-ish days ago. Hopefully this post doesn't jinx me out of releasing a finished product at some point, but hopefully I can release an alpha soon. It will be a while though, I have to spend the next week away from my desktop to assist in my grandparent's vacation plans.

One question, how much leeway do we get on the 20 minute time limit? Is there a penalty for going over or under?

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:40 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
One question, how much leeway do we get on the 20 minute time limit? Is there a penalty for going over or under?
There should not be any penalty for going over or under, but we wanted to stress quality over quantity with the 20 minute time limit. Even if your mod is 10 minutes, or even 5, just try to make it as good as possible. If you are going over the time limit, I suggest you prioritize polishing up what you have before continuing to add content. Longer experiences are fine, but that is not really the objective of this contest.

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:05 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
p359269-0-d3nv09j.png

Been working on and off ever since the contest began. I still have a ways to go, but both my testers and myself like how it's turning out so far. As for my thoughts on the contest, the tropical theme has been pretty fun to design for. Quite the contrast from your typical cave setting, and a refreshing one at that.

p359265-0-dlvtqkk.png

i'm working on something

how "hard" is the 20 minute suggested limit? I feel like I might go over that a bit. How long did it take to play hacker story last year I forget. I mean i guess it depended how much trouble you had with the puzzles and enemies...
I like your tileset and background. The solid gray of the stone in the upper right corner bugs me slightly due to the stone's lack of detail, but it's pretty minor.

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:12 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I started before I left for vacation and I've made decent progress on the battle system, still need to make some sprites but there is a goal in mind for my mod as well as expectations for what I'll be able to accomplish. I'm on another computer but I have progress.

Jul 8, 2017 at 10:10 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I like your tileset and background. The solid gray of the stone in the upper right corner bugs me slightly due to the stone's lack of detail, but it's pretty minor.
it's a work in progress, it probably will not be as evident in the actual game as there will be a smaller viewport and more props.

Jul 8, 2017 at 10:17 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
I'm not entering.

Summer is the only time of year I'm busy. (I still don't know how I did STARZZ last year when I only had 1 day a week to work on it...)

Winter modcon when.

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:22 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I...um...haven’t made any reference to it, but I did start a little entry. I meant at first to pay homage to the style of Astronot, but the simple tiles I drew to get the area I had in mind down are so bad that I don’t want to post a screenshot, not that the area is finalized anyway. (They’re much worse than the game I was thinking of, and that one wasn’t exactly aiming for beauty.) I might just make use of Hate's tiles and abandon the style altogether, or maybe GraphicsGale will make it a little easier to see whether they’re garbage at creation. :hoppy:

I’ve also been preoccupied with tweaking the physics: because you play as a human, I wanted the way you move (and especially the way you interact with water) to reflect that more. Designing levels isn’t really a smart move until I have the physics finalized (they’re mostly there), but I do have a good idea of the environment's layout and what progression will look like.

Given my history, I’m loathe to say that I’ll make anything good. Or make anything at all. And I think I’ll leave that there, so as not to repeat past concerns.

Oh! As for the contest itself, it’s the first one to really jive with me. The tropical theme is pleasant, the focus on short, complete, polished mods is...daunting but a great idea, and the entry time limit is a lifesaver. I hope others are inspired to try their hands at this, because we’re not done yet! :mahin:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.