Could Undertale actually be the next Cave Story?

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:44 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I know that a lot of CS (Cave Story and/or Counter-Strike) fanboys/fangirls will probably be very upset with me for saying this, but...from what I've seen, we just might legitimately have the next Cave Story on our hands here.

Now, of course, I don't mean that literally, but if you look at the two games, you can see an awful lot of parallels in more than just the fact that both of them happen to be in the indie "genre".

For starters, both of these games were literally designed by a single person (in Undertale's case, it was Toby "Radiation" Fox, the creator of the almost-Silent-Hill-levels-of-disturbing masterpiece that was the Earthbound Halloween Hack). And yes, he was also popularized by Undertale.

Additionally, the soundtrack is not only the best thing since Cave Story's, but...maybe even better. In all the years since Cave Story's release, I never thought that there would ever really be a game, let alone an indie game, that could even come close to topping its original soundtrack. We got Shovel Knight, we got Super Meat Boy, we got Castle Crashers, we got Guacamelee...but this game's music is just wicked. Like, reusing Megalovania for the second time in a row wicked.

Also, the awesome storyline of CS is brought back in spades with this game, complete with gameplay that actually lives up to its hype (which is pretty unlike Cave Story to be honest). I can definitely see this game getting numerous console ports in the very near future.

Last but not least, it should also be mentioned that the lop-eared goat people in the game look eerily similar to Cave Story's lop-eared rabbit people.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2015 at 1:47 AM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
p209201-0-hqdefault.jpg

Third time, actually. Earthbound, Homosuck, and now Undertale.

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:52 AM
p209201-0-hqdefault.jpg

Third time, actually. Earthbound, Homosuck, and now Undertale.

Why all the hate on Homestuck? Also, Megalovania originated from the Halloween Hack, so that one doesn't count as a reusal.

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:04 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
If you could define what you mean by "the next cave story" I think help a lot more people understand what you're trying to say

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:11 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
ok first off this is basically saying "wow undertale reminds me of cave story"
second these are all so horribly abstract I could say the same about like 20 other indie games
also
Additionally, the soundtrack is not only the best thing since Cave Story's, but...maybe even better. In all the years since Cave Story's release, I never thought that there would ever really be a game, let alone an indie game, that could even come close to topping its original soundtrack. We got Shovel Knight, we got Super Meat Boy, we got Castle Crashers, we got Guacamelee...but this game's music is just wicked. Like, reusing Megalovania for the second time in a row wicked.

Also, the awesome storyline of CS is brought back in spades with this game, complete with gameplay that actually lives up to its hype (which is pretty unlike Cave Story to be honest). I can definitely see this game getting numerous console ports in the very near future.
undertale's soundtrack is way better than cave story's
so are shovel knight and meat boy's
and cave story's storyline is nothing special honestly

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:26 AM
ok first off this is basically saying "wow undertale reminds me of cave story"
second these are all so horribly abstract I could say the same about like 20 other indie games
also

undertale's soundtrack is way better than cave story's
so are shovel knight and meat boy's
and cave story's storyline is nothing special honestly

Honestly, you do realize that you're basically calling Cave Story not just overrated, but also kind of an outright overrated piece of shit, right? There's nothing wrong with shamelessly leaping onto the massively oversized hype train for such a classic game, you know. And yes, I'm looking at you, Final Fantasy VII.

You see, without its storyline, Cave Story, just like FFVII and perhaps even Ocarina Of Time, would be nothing. Seriously, think about that for a second. Cave Story's storyline might not exactly be Xenoblade Chronicles, but it's pretty damned memorable regardless.

If you could define what you mean by "the next cave story" I think help a lot more people understand what you're trying to say

I mean as in the next game to truly achieve the indie game god status that Cave Story has.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2015 at 2:32 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
For working solely in ORG Maker, the Cave Story soundtrack is surprisingly diverse, at least for me. Unlike Undertale, there are barely any recurring motifs or themes.

Undertale combines a whole bunch of different sounds and instruments and while different, the music still keeps it together, unified as a whole.

I would say that I much prefer Cave Story's gameplay over Undertale's though. The random encounter by-battle gameplay isn't really for me. With Cave Story, there is replayability value in the variations by which weapons and the number of Life Capsules you choose to take, etc. Whether or not I will find great replayability in Undertale (past genocide/neutral), I've yet to find out.

But I guess for Cave Story, while the plot is quite minimal, it moves more in sync with the gameplay than Undertale did for me on the first playthrough. Undertale's plot was engaging, but the gameplay was not as. So I started to get less engaged with having to read long cutscenes and randomly encounter enemies and do a whole bunch of puzzles that it just wasn't as exciting up until the finale.

Meh, I don't want to call Cave Story the next Undertale. I got a lot out of both for different reasons.

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:43 AM
But I guess for Cave Story, while the plot is quite minimal, it moves more in sync with the gameplay than Undertale did for me on the first playthrough.

You see, this is the genius of Cave Story's plotline; by being incredibly minimal, it leaves an incredible amount to the imagination, allowing for all kinds of interpretations ranging from Jack and King being brothers to...Sue having sex with Kazuma's skydragon. (Yes, that actually was in a real fanfic.) http://archiveofourown.org/works/1237105?view_adult=true

Meh, I don't want to call Undertale the next Cave Story. I got a lot out of both for different reasons.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2015 at 2:49 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Meh, I don't want to call Cave Story the next Undertale. I got a lot out of both for different reasons.

I'm not sure anyone was calling Cave Story the next Undertale, but now that you've said it...

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:52 AM
Perpetually out of it
Honestly, you do realize that you're basically calling Cave Story not just overrated, but also kind of an outright overrated piece of shit, right?
Oh so I guess calling someting not special is insinuating it's shit now
I mean as in the next game to truly achieve the indie game god status that Cave Story has.
So what uh
Super Meat Boy hasn't reached that status?
Or Shovel Knight
Or Terraria
Or Issac
Or Minecraft
Or Five Nights
Or DayZ

You should get where I'm going with this
If none of those games (and plenty more) haven't already achieved the 'godly' status you're describing, then what makes CS any different?

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:04 AM
Oh so I guess calling someting not special is insinuating it's shit now

So what uh
Super Meat Boy hasn't reached that status?
Or Shovel Knight
Or Terraria
Or Issac
Or Minecraft
Or Five Nights
Or DayZ

You should get where I'm going with this
If none of those games (and plenty more) haven't already achieved the 'godly' status you're describing, then what makes CS any different?

Of all of the games you mentioned, the only one that's truly become culturally bigger than Cave Story would have to be Minecraft, and even then, that's still kind of a stretch. My point is that CS is worshipped by the masses as the grandfather of the current indie game movement and has been ported at least more than ten times if I'm not mistaken, and also to several big-name Nintendo systems at that.

Just you wait: Cave Story, as well as probably Shovel Knight, is going to be in Smash. There's just no real way around it. Can you feel the hype yet? Personally, I'm really feeling it.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2015 at 3:13 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Just you wait: Cave Story, as well as probably Shovel Knight, is going to be in Smash.
Any proof to back that up? Because people have been taking about it for half a decade and it still hasn't happened. And if you are talking about the voting for a smash character thing, there are far too many mainstream and indie games that would have been voted on instead of a 10 year old indie game that is in the back of everyone's minds, regardless of its significance to the indie scene as a whole.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2015 at 3:23 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
Just you wait: Cave Story, as well as probably Shovel Knight, is going to be in Smash. There's just no real way around it.
quote of the fucking year

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:26 AM
Perpetually out of it
Of all of the games you mentioned, the only one that's truly become culturally bigger than Cave Story would have to be Minecraft, and even then, that's still kind of a stretch.
Let's put that to a test of search relevance
Spoiler because text dump and because I couldn't compress all the results into one graph
First off, Cave Story compared to Super Meat Boy
p209217-0-wzp8ra0.png

Hmm, not quite there, but I'm sure CS is gonna pull ahead of all the others for sure
p209217-1-yfk87nl.png

Oh would you look at that CS is actually doing pretty well by itself until Shovel Knight actually becomes a thing
p209217-2-65jkaic.png

Wow Terraria's kicking some serious ass on this one
p209217-3-dvh8pvp.png

Hmm yeah Isaac's wiping the floor with CS too
p209217-4-83fur1x.png

No one should be surprised by this one
p209217-5-y81q1eo.png

Can't say this was unexpected either

And just for good measure, how about a last comparison with Minecraft, just to see how much of a stretch it is to call Minecraft more relevant/popular than Cave Story
p209217-6-nvcw5ds.png

Ooh yeah uh
Not even close

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:39 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Was going to make a comment about CS not being that huge anymore vs other indie games but I've been beaten to it. It's never had a huge cultural following, I mean the characters are reasonably popular but aside from the occasional oddball obsessive it still mostly garners interest as a video game first and foremost. The way Undertale is blowing up is more akin to being the next Homestuck/MLP/FNaF/etc.

Taking bets now on how long until everyone starts to get tired of it :awesomeface:

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2015 at 3:42 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Just you wait: Cave Story, as well as probably Shovel Knight, is going to be in Smash. There's just no real way around it. Can you feel the hype yet? Personally, I'm really feeling it.
Thanks for the laugh, I needed that

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:01 AM
Thanks for the laugh, I needed that

I swear to Christ, every fricking time someone drops that goddamned Shulk joke, at least one cat develops a nasty case of argyria and dies. :balrog:

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2015 at 4:09 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
both of these games were literally designed by a single person
Pixel made everything for cave story, while many of the undertale monster designs from Undertale originate from others.
Why all the hate on Homestuck? Also, Megalovania originated from the Halloween Hack, so that one doesn't count as a reusal.
I fail to see where anyone is hating Hoestuck on this thread.
complete with gameplay that actually lives up to its hype (which is pretty unlike Cave Story to be honest).
what do you mean? cave story's game play has been awesome just like its always been.
neither of them have a huge chance of being in smash, and I don't want to feel hype culture any more than I absolutely have to.
my anticipation for SC2LoV is already wearing me out

Taking bets now on how long until everyone starts to get tired of it :awesomeface:
how long till we're tired of CS or undertale? I'd say a few years for both. until undertale modding happens of which interest will be renewed for another few years or so

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2015 at 4:24 AM
Perpetually out of it
I swear to Christ, every fricking time someone drops that goddamned Shulk joke, at least one cat develops a nasty case of argyria and dies.
Please stop responding with irrelevant memes
Also is my post chopped liver or something

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:33 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
how long till we're tired of CS or undertale? I'd say a few years for both. until undertale modding happens of which interest will be renewed for another few years or so
I'll never get tired of Cave Story.