Could Undertale actually be the next Cave Story?

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:42 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Nov 5, 2015 at 5:48 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I know that a lot of CS (Cave Story and/or Counter-Strike) fanboys/fangirls will probably be very upset with me for saying this, but...from what I've seen, we just might legitimately have the next Cave Story on our hands here.
By a lot, are you sure you don't mean 14 people out of 14 people here in these forums who talk about Undertale? I mean, 14's a pretty big number, I'm glad you can count that high. But then again, 14 people's pretty much all you'll see for Cave Story fans compared to the sheering amount Undertale fans. That's like trying to compare a guy eating cereal to a freakin' convention at Times Square.

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:57 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I think a lot more people will end up playing Undertale than Cave Story. This forum is likely to remain more Cave Story-focused though.

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:03 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I feel it should be noted that in all of those graphs cave story was the most stable.

I fail to see where anyone is hating Hoestuck on this thread.
On that note I don't like Homestuck. It started out alright, but it became boring and full of long and mostly redundant Pesterchum logs. Problem Sleuth was way better. Cue shitstorm.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2015 at 2:42 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I'll never get tired of Cave Story.

Personally, I am tired of playing it; I've gotten way too good at it, and I have no interest in attempting a 3-heart run...or a 3-minute Sacred Grounds run for that matter :balrog:

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:39 PM
War criminal
If you're too good at it, then why are you here? It sounds like you're all set without us.

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:08 PM
Professional Whatever
Because that's not what this forum is about?

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:03 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Yeah I doubt many people here actually play the original game much anymore (this doesn't include mods or anything).

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:29 PM
Yeah I doubt many people here actually play the original game much anymore (this doesn't include mods or anything).
I do. I still haven't defeated Ballos legitimately. Also, I still hope someone can get me Undertale, because I'm interested in playing it too.

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:54 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I do. I still haven't defeated Ballos legitimately. Also, I still hope someone can get me Undertale, because I'm interested in playing it too.
You mean beating Ballos without haxes or the super missile spam?

Anyways, I see alot of Undertale hype ever since the full version got out(how am I dodging spoilers is a mystery), but seeing as a huge amount of interest is because of the storyline for some, I think it might drop after a while.
One of the reasons CS is not this popular is because the CS is pretty old and has been finished in 2004(if I recall correctly, don't sue me ;-;), which was a time where the internet wasn't filled with 10-year olds that remain unchecked by parents.
In fact, the internet itself was not that big compared to now.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2015 at 6:57 PM
You mean beating Ballos without haxes or the super missile spam?
"Haxes". I've actually been trying to do it without getting the missile launcher though.

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:01 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Seeing as this thread actually has something approaching worthwhile content I've decided to clean out the mess and leave it open for the time being. Try to keep it that way, alright?

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:54 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
One of the reasons CS is not this popular is because the CS is pretty old and has been finished in 2004(if I recall correctly, don't sue me ;-;), which was a time where the internet wasn't filled with 10-year olds that remain unchecked by parents.
In fact, the internet itself was not that big compared to now.
The reason CS was made to be so small in filesize was so that it could fit onto a floppy disk. I am not kidding.

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:04 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Additionally, the soundtrack is not only the best thing since Cave Story's, but...maybe even better. In all the years since Cave Story's release, I never thought that there would ever really be a game, let alone an indie game, that could even come close to topping its original soundtrack. We got Shovel Knight, we got Super Meat Boy, we got Castle Crashers, we got Guacamelee...but this game's music is just wicked. Like, reusing Megalovania for the second time in a row wicked.

Halo 3: ODST [Original Soundtrack]: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVFu5mCs8PVgJlZEDiwDRuBUMHbgX1oss

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:36 PM
Off-screen redemption arc
no

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:48 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"

From what I've seen, it's easily the best game of its genre since CS, and it's got some damned good competition (ie Shovel Knight, Super Meat Boy, etc.) Do not by any means underestimate it.

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:52 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Super Meat Boy
How is Super Meat Boy a competition to Undertale if Super Meat Boy is years older.

Also, I expect that Cave Story has higher replayability than Undertale(considering both games have been beaten 100% on all possible endings) due to Undertale's success is more or less mostly thanks to the storyline.

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:52 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Also, I expect that Cave Story has higher replayability than Undertale(considering both games have been beaten 100% on all possible endings) due to Undertale's success is more or less mostly thanks to the storyline.

That's debatable, since Undertale has multiple endings (3 main endings, the normal one having a ton of variations depending on your actions in the playthrough). But also like Cave Story, the main flow/path of the game is pretty much the same the whole way through. So I'd say they have about the same level of replayability, excluding mods and such.

The main difference between the 2 is Undertale's content is largely dialogue/story whereas Cave Story has a better gameplay to story ratio, I'd say. It's a bit of a personal preference, though.

Nov 9, 2015 at 4:08 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
How is Super Meat Boy a competition to Undertale if Super Meat Boy is years older.

nah I'd say undertale has way more replayability
cave story has the different guns and all but undertale has like, 12 different endings
granted they don't change much but still
they do add more incentive to replay it

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2015 at 7:17 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Undertale definitely has the same feeling Cave Story does. It is a very dark story. But it manages to keep itself upbeat. Kind of like a Grimm's Fairy Tale. Both games give off that kind of aura.