Curly's Adventure!

What would you rate Curly's Adventure?

• Total voters
Jan 28, 2012 at 8:51 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
This is the thread for the old version of the mod, the new thread is at here.

Hello, this is Hate9.
I am making a mod called Curly's Adventure!
Here is the first archive!
Here are the current links!
please play it (the current version) and tell me what you think!

Facebook
Wordpress

Download Current Version (0.0.2.0)

Gameplay video:

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
1.) Give us information on your mod.
2.) You have a demo, it goes in Showcase.
3.)"You are falling down,
Down,
down.

You have drowned. Will you retry?"
4.) Most people do not approve of going through doors and immediately staring to drown.
5.) What the FUCK am I supposed to be doing!?
6.) "llcome to The Mimiga Village"
7.) I am intrigued by the sprite of Curly wearing the Demon Crown.
8.) Why did you hide your data folder?

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:26 AM
Professional Whatever
Hate to break it to you, but there is a difference between functional and visually appealing maps. Also what is the point? All it looks like you did was change one person's dialogue and fill the map with excess tiles. None of the other maps are messed with (except that pitch black intro map, wtf?), and I'm pretty sure you can get to the balrog fight with 1 hp and no weapon. Not even I would release something at this stage, and I used to release updates like every week.

Ohhai dubbeh

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Yeah.. I quit once I got to the pitch black room and drowning.
Erm.. what was the point of all this?

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:52 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Okay, for as far as I can read the code snippets you have to do the following:

1. Get the polar star through event #9999 which isn't referenced to anywhere.
2. Get the machine gun in front of Curly's house (which you are still able to enter although you are Curly)
3. Optionally get the life capsule from the yashamita farm (that didn't get removed)
4. Fight balrog I think?
5. Go to the first cave that has been edited as well with lots of corridors. At the end there is an invisible door that will bring you to the start point that hasn't been edited. There is no way to get to the second half of the first cave as far as I can tell.
6. Perhaps do some more stuff in the sand zone before/after fighting balrog? I have no idea.

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Oh now I see the point, this is supposed to be one of those puzzle mods where you have to search every place extra carefully to find a way to do more pointless stuff. :awesomeface:

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Discord Group Moderator
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
This mod is Just lame. I dout merlinoboy could do worse.

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Did anyone ever notice that I can be a sarcastic living being?

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Based Member
So, I haven't gotten too far, cause I had trouble knowing where to go, and soon lost interest, but here are my critiques. (Just for the lulz.)
Storyline: 1/10 Abysmal. This mod has basically no storyline whatsoever. Just... falling out of nowhere and instantly dying if you let the cutscene go. And I don't understand what everything else is about.

Dialog: 1/10 Abysmal. Pretty much every NPC except King has the dialog which executes in Cave Story when you originally arrive at the mimiga village. In other words, Mahin and Kanpachi act like you've just asked if they know Sue, and Sandaime has the usual dialog. Also, Toroko has no flag 2000 event.

Level Design: 2/10 Pathetic. Lots of room for improvment. Every addition to every map either looks like you're totally deforming it, or that you're making it unplayable. It might make a little more sense if you were just experimenting around, but otherwise, all of your additions should be a bit more thought out.

Gameplay: 4/10 Bad. You basically don't tell the player what he's supposed to be doing, but since some of the maps are left over from Cave Story, it has a few redeeming properties. But this has no explanation whatsoever.

Glitches:
1) At the beginning, if you stand still during the beginning of the cutscene, you'll drown.
2) A message box displays at the biginning, but you can still move.
3) Near your start position, there's a door up above, but there's no platform on the tile below it, so i can't get through it.
4) This mod starts you out in the mimiga village, but the mimiga village music doesn't start until you exit and re-enter the mimiga village from another room.
5) For some reason, I'm able to get into Arthur's house without his key, but can still get the key nevertheless from the grave yard which is not garded by Jack.
6) When I go up to the computer in Arthur's house, I hear the text sound, as though the usual "Words light up the screen<NOD 'If I have to though, I really will'<NOD will you permit teleportation to the Egg Corridor?" but you forgot to use the <KEY and <MSG commands, causing it all to happen without a message box, and you can move around while it's happening.
7) Apparently, it's possible to proceed through the Sand Zone, but that pit at the entrance is deceiving.
8) Lot's of the doors lack the <KEY command at the beginning of their events, allowing you to move around for a short amount of time before you transition to the next room.
9) The room into which the door in the bottom right corner of the mimiga village leads to never fades in. So I really don't know where to go.

Improvements:
1) Fix all the glitches mentioned above.
2) Tell us the point of this mod.
3) Give this mod a storyline.
4) Improve the level design.
5) Change the event dialog for Kanpachi, Mahin, and Sandaime. Also, give Toroko a flag 2000 event number.
6) Make the mod a bit more playable.
7) Make it a bit more obvious what the player is supposed to do.
Over all score: 1/10 Abysmal. Sorry, but this mod has no storyline, little script editing, abysmal level design, an excessive number of glitches, not making it clear what this mod is all about, and not making it obvious what the player is supposed to do.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:28 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
HaydenStudios said:
So, I haven't gotten too far, cause I had trouble knowing where to go, and soon lost interest, but here are my critiques. (Just for the lulz.)
Storyline: 1/10 Abysmal. This mod has basically no storyline whatsoever. Just... falling out of nowhere and instantly dying if you let the cutscene go. And I don't understand what everything else is about.
ME: it's basecaly curly's side of cave story from before it starts to after the the second ending.
and also, sorry about the cutseen death.
Dialog: 1/10 Abysmal. Pretty much every NPC except King has the dialog which executes in Cave Story when you originally arrive at the mimiga village. In other words, Mahin and Kanpachi act like you've just asked if they know Sue, and Sandaime has the usual dialog. Also, Toroko has no flag 2000 event.
ME: this is version 0.0.0.1, and I'm actualy planning on moving toroko,
and changing the dialog for the npcs.
Level Design: 2/10 Pathetic. Lots of room for improvment. Every addition to every map either looks like you're totally deforming it, or that you're making it unplayable. It might make a little more sense if you were just experimenting around, but otherwise, all of your additions should be a bit more thought out.
ME: oops, sorry.
Gameplay: 4/10 Bad. You basically don't tell the player what he's supposed to be doing, but since some of the maps are left over from Cave Story, it has a few redeeming properties. But this has no explanation whatsoever.
ME: rephrase this please, I don't understand it.
Glitches:
1) At the beginning, if you stand still during the beginning of the cutscene, you'll drown.
ME: Sorry! : (
2) A message box displays at the biginning, but you can still move.
ME: that was on purpose.
3) Near your start position, there's a door up above, but there's no platform on the tile below it, so i can't get through it.
ME: That was on purpose too.
4) This mod starts you out in the mimiga village, but the mimiga village music doesn't start until you exit and re-enter the mimiga village from another room.
ME: Whoops, I don't play with the sound on, so i didn't notice, sorry.
5) For some reason, I'm able to get into Arthur's house without his key, but can still get the key nevertheless from the grave yard which is not garded by Jack.
ME: I'm going to change the script so it says "You should probably leave that key for quote."
6) When I go up to the computer in Arthur's house, I hear the text sound, as though the usual "Words light up the screen<NOD 'If I have to though, I really will'<NOD will you permit teleportation to the Egg Corridor?" but you forgot to use the <KEY and <MSG commands, causing it all to happen without a message box, and you can move around while it's happening.
ME: I thought I fixed that.
7) Apparently, it's possible to proceed through the Sand Zone, but that pit at the entrance is deceiving.
ME: What do you mean?
8) Lot's of the doors lack the <KEY command at the beginning of their events, allowing you to move around for a short amount of time before you transition to the next room.
ME: what? I don't remember that happening.
9) The room into which the door in the bottom right corner of the mimiga village leads to never fades in. So I really don't know where to go.
ME: Oops, sorry.
Improvements:
1) Fix all the glitches mentioned above.
ME: I definitley will.
2) Tell us the point of this mod.
ME: Okay.
3) Give this mod a storyline.
It has one, it just doesn't show up yet. I'm planning on mapping and scripting it first.
4) Improve the level design.
ME: yeah, I will.
5) Change the event dialog for Kanpachi, Mahin, and Sandaime. Also, give Toroko a flag 2000 event number.
ME: I'm actualy planning on moving toroko,
and changing the dialog for the npcs.
6) Make the mod a bit more playable.
ME: I will.
7) Make it a bit more obvious what the player is supposed to do.
ME: rephrase that, please.
Over all score: 1/10 Abysmal. Sorry, but this mod has no storyline, little script editing, abysmal level design, an excessive number of glitches, not making it clear what this mod is all about, and not making it obvious what the player is supposed to do.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:32 PM
Based Member
HaydenStudios: Storyline: 1/10 Abysmal. This mod has basically no storyline whatsoever. Just... falling out of nowhere and instantly dying if you let the cutscene go. And I don't understand what everything else is about.
hate9: it's basecaly curly's side of cave story from before it starts to after the the second ending.
and also, sorry about the cutseen death.
Well, sorry to break it to you, but I'm not too impressed so far.
HaydenStudios:Level Design: 2/10 Pathetic. Lots of room for improvment. Every addition to every map either looks like you're totally deforming it, or that you're making it unplayable. It might make a little more sense if you were just experimenting around, but otherwise, all of your additions should be a bit more thought out.
hate9: oops, sorry.
I don't understand. The poor level design was an accident? Whatever.
HaydenStudios:Gameplay: 4/10 Bad. You basically don't tell the player what he's supposed to be doing, but since some of the maps are left over from Cave Story, it has a few redeeming properties. But this has no explanation whatsoever.
hate9: rephrase this please, I don't understand it.
Basically, the player has no idea what he's supposed to be doing, and lots of people seem to think Curly's asking about someone named Sue. That, along with poor level design, and having no idea what to do, makes bad gameplay.
HaydenStudios: A message box displays at the biginning, but you can still move.
hate9: that was on purpose.
Well, it's kinda an unprofessional thing to let the player move around when a message box is going. Just saying.
HaydenStudios: Near your start position, there's a door up above, but there's no platform on the tile below it, so i can't get through it.
hate9: That was on purpose too.
Ok.....
HaydenStudios: Apparently, it's possible to proceed through the Sand Zone, but that pit at the entrance is deceiving.
hate9: What do you mean?
I mean, this pit is really out of place:
Falltoyourdeath.jpg
It looks like something you're supposed to got to, but you fall to your death. It's the reason I rated this mod 2/10 for level design instead of 3/10.
HaydenStudios: Improve the level design.
hate9: yeah, I will.
I hope so.
HaydenStudios: Make it a bit more obvious what the player is supposed to do.
hate9: rephrase that, please.
What I mean is, with the screwed up levels, failure to even properly load one of them, and 80% of the scrips being obviously left over from the original Cave Story, this makes me not know what on earth I'm supposed to be diong, and what the whole storyline and point of this mod is.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
Well, sorry to break it to you, but I'm not too impressed so far.

I don't understand. The poor level design was an accident? Whatever.

Basically, the player has no idea what he's supposed to be doing, and lots of people seem to think Curly's asking about someone named Sue. That, along with poor level design, and having no idea what to do, makes bad gameplay.

Well, it's kinda an unprofessional thing to let the player move around when a message box is going. Just saying.

Ok.....
I mean, this pit is really out of place:
Falltoyourdeath.jpg
It looks like something you're supposed to got to, but you fall to your death. It's the reason I rated this mod 2/10 for level design instead of 3/10.
I hope so.

What I mean is, with the screwed up levels, failure to even properly load one of them, and 80% of the scrips being obviously left over from the original Cave Story, this makes me not know what on earth I'm supposed to be diong, and what the whole storyline and point of this mod is.
a new version is out with a lot of bug fixes!

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Based Member
[quote name=&#39;hate9&#39; timestamp=&#39;1327960087&#39; post=&#39;142882&#39;]
a new version is out with a lot of bug fixes!
[/quote]I'm sorry to say, but you hardly fixed any glitches whatsoever, and created many more in so doing.
The only glitches I saw fixed were the drowning during the beginning cutscene, and the dialog in the mimiga village... partially. I see you took away the silver locket at the beginning, good. I see you made Kanpachi not the same, as well as Sandaime, good. Mahin still acts like you've just asked who Sue is. I still don't get any Mimiga village music until I exit and re-enter the room from another one that works. When I go up to the computer in Arthur's house, I'm STILL having the glitch with the text but no text box. Also, sorry, I made a mistake when I described what this pit does:
Falltoyourdeath.jpg
Before, I said that it makes you fall to your death. But when I tested it again, I remembered that it doesn't do that, but that it makes you fall off the edge of the map. We still have those missing <KEY commands at some of the doors. As for that door that used to never fade in, now it's even worse. If you enter it, it says "Welcome to the Mimiga village!" Then it takes you to the beginning of the game, then it reloads the room, and it repeats this cycle indefinitely. I hardly see any improved level design in this mod, just a few currents that used to be there that now are not, and you don't drown during the beginning cutscene, thankfully. If I go into the shack, Toroko is standing there, and if you press down when you're up to her, nothing happens. Also, if you exit through the door in the shack, the door doesn't open, Curly just goes up to it, and you transition to the mimiga village. Furthermore, if you pick up the key to Arthur's house, then it foes the got item events, then says that you should probably leave it for Quote. I know you meant to do that, but Quote is not capitalized, there's no <NOD at the end, and every subsequent time you pick it up, it displays the usual, "Here sleeps the noble Arthur. True hero to the mimigas."<NOD getting the key with the music and all, then saying you should leave it for Quote.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:14 AM
Banned
Would you like any help? I can try to fix these bugs, I don't really have a mod of my own to work on so I'm looking for excuses to mess with TSC again.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:20 AM
Professional Whatever
I really suggest that Hack9 try to patch these glitches by himself, so that he can learn how to, this being his first mod (I think? I can't remember).
I don't mean don't give him advice, but like, don't take his mod and fix everything for him then hand it back to him.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:26 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I agree, he should try and fix them by himself. Also, you can get into the first cave by trying to enter the door as if it's one block to the left of the actual door, but you can't get out, it says "?!" if you try to and the critters kill you.

You are apparently supposed to get the polar star from the path under the farm, but the first part of the path going up there is too high to jump.

Also, for the pit in the Sand Zone, you can use a Horiz/Vert trigger to trigger an event if someone falls in the hole. I don't know if you're supposed to get to a different area through the hole or simply die, but with a Horiz/Vert trigger you can do both.

My advice is to playtest your mod personally before releasing an update so you know it can be done. Right now the first cave and most of the sand zone are completely inaccessible.

Again, play it by yourself first. If everything you want to work works exactly how you want it to work we (aka the more experienced users on this forum) can do a proper review of it.

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
5. Go to the first cave that has been edited as well with lots of corridors. At the end there is an invisible door that will bring you to the start point that hasn't been edited. There is no way to get to the second half of the first cave as far as I can tell.
There is a way to get to the second half.

I really suggest that Hack9 try to patch these glitches by himself, so that he can learn how to, this being his first mod (I think? I can't remember).
I don't mean don't give him advice, but like, don't take his mod and fix everything for him then hand it back to him.
Yes, this is my first mod, and also, my name is Hate9.
also, i'm making a 2 new versions right now.

Aaaaaaaaarg!
it's not letting me upload them!