Jan 16, 2013 at 7:30 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Post them away! Here are mine:

• Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Treasure
  • Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Vanguard Princess. Same thing, but it has Luna Himeki. So it's like, amazing.

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Telefang
A monster-raising rpg series that received a bad reputation because Chinese bootleggers gave it a poor and profane translation, random bugs, and passed off as a Pokemon game. The original game is actually quite good. Unfortunately the translation patch for the game is a long way off from being finished.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keitai_Denjū_Telefang

Illusion of Time/Gaia
I love this game like you wouldn't believe. Action RPG btw. It's a part of the same series of games as Soul Blazer and Terranigma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusion_of_Gaia

Metroid 2
Receives the least attention of the Metroid franchise but is a game worth investing your time into. The upgrade I loved the most in that game was the spider ball (different from the spider ball used in Metroid Prime).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid_II:_Return_of_Samus

Metroid: Other M
Too many people complained about the story or Samus' personality or the scanning sections, or that is wasn't a first-person shooter (seriously?). Why care about that stuff when the gameplay is this good? It's like a 2d metroid game in a 3d space. That may sound weird but it plays like a dream. If there is a void to fill from the days of 2d metroid this will fill it.

Cave Story
Never met anyone that's played it IRL. You guys would love it. I can just tell. ;P

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
is it me

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Not anymore
All my friends have played Cave Story. Even girls play Cave Story at my university. My Computer Science professor AND my former Linear Algebra prof have both played Cave Story. The manager of the Residence Halls has played Cave Story. I'm pretty sure the cafeteria lady also played Cave Story like once or twice. She always got the machinegun. My sister has played Cave Story, and she never gets anything. On purpose. She just goes through Sacred Grounds using the Polar Star and beats it in about 3 minutes 40 seconds. She can do a 3hp run of Sacred Grounds in about 5 minutes. And she's 14. I can't even do that.

You guys have really bad friends. Almost everyone I know, including my parents, siblings, close friends, and a handful of staff + professors at my university. They have all played Cave Story. Almost all of them could whoop your ass in Wind Fortress for CS+.

How did I find out about Cave Story? All my friends played it first, and THEN they told me, "hey you should check out Cave Story. It's free and it's a good game". I was the last of my friends to know about Cave Story - Doukutsu Monogatari.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
andwhyisit said:
Metroid: Other M
Too many people complained about the story or Samus' personality or the scanning sections, or that is wasn't a first-person shooter (seriously?). Why care about that stuff when the gameplay is this good? It's like a 2d metroid game in a 3d space. That may sound weird but it plays like a dream. If there is a void to fill from the days of 2d metroid this will fill it.
I also quite enjoyed Other M, it kinda brought back memories of playing Super Metroid when I was 5. And when you think about it, Samus' emotions make sense considering her Metroid baby recently sacrificed itself to save her and then Zebes blew up, which used to be her home planet after the raid of K-2L. The only thing that disappointed me was how I didn't get to go into Sector Zero.

Back on topic, my favourite underrated games are probably Cave Story, VVVVVV and Gang Garrison 2.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
you aren't funny

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Not anymore
I AM FUCKING SERIOUS.

Every one of my friends plays Cave Story. If you don't believe me, I will get all of them (or at least 80%) to do some Let's Plays of Cave Story.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Get them to do it with a shoe on their head (for photographic evidence).

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Off!, Space Funeral, Yume Nikki, .Flow, The Power, Noitu Love 2, Wanderlust: rebirth (even if it is a little wonky/bad at times), and like 20 other games that I can't recall off the top of my head.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Do-Re-Mi Fantasy, of course. It's a platformer, and definitely one of my favorite games ever. Released kinda late for the Super Famicom (that means Japan only). Easily one of the most underrated games for that platform. It just oozes with personality.
Might be worth checking out if you have some time, the game itself is a little on the short side, but is very challenging in the second half.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Ever 17 is a good game, even if the english translation is painfully bad at times.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Milayu said:
Wanderlust: rebirth (even if it is a little wonky/bad at times)

Hehe. Good times.

I don't really know what counts as "underrated". I guess I like Ar Tonelico, Tales of Symphonia (even though it's the most popular of the Tales series, the series in general isn't as popular as, say, Final Fantasy), and Panel de Pon...? I dunno

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Kanpachi said:
Ever 17 is a good game, even if the english translation is painfully bad at times.
There might be a fan patch which fixes mistakes... as well as a sound, and music, voice enhancement replacers.

Oh and
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/39/
For older similar results as this thread, except without the favorite part~

Underrated games mean, games that are rated low officially or by fans; or maybe you mean games that fly under the mainstream radar?
*yawnnnnn*

Maybe I'll come up with some names later... -_~ Zzz

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Carrotlord said:
You guys have really bad friends. Almost everyone I know, including my parents, siblings, close friends, and a handful of staff + professors at my university. They have all played Cave Story. Almost all of them could whoop your ass in Wind Fortress for CS+.
One person said that nobody that he has met has played Cave Story. Therefore, everybody on these forums have never met a person who has never played Cave Story.

Anyways my favorite underrated game would probably have to be Rolando. It was one of the few games that I enjoyed on the iOS and I kinda feel that it needs more attention these days

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
SuperTux (Mac/Linux/Windows) Heck, you're a Mario ripoff turned !penguin! and it's freeware.
Platypus (Windows/Mac) The trials are free, no trial time limit is fairly cheap. The original is the one I like. Everything Is Made of Clay. Seriously. Also, on that note, Active Lancer (Mac/Windows maybe?). < still haven't beaten. :/ sooo fun