Wii re-releases of GC games - a good idea?

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:44 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So I've just been through my email and I've noticed that Amazon Japan are offering me REmake on the Wii which has got me thinking - is this a good idea? The Wii has already caused some chagrin amongst gamers with its PS2 ports and "me too" party games so is this helpful? Do Wii gamers want Wii controls so bad they're willing to pay again for a game they probably already own (none of the "Wii'd" games are difficult to buy in their original form or region specific) and one that will already work on their console?

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:05 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Is REmake a re-make of the Game Cube Resident Evil which was a remake of the first Resident Evil? : ) I've not heard of it until now, but considering how successful RE4 Wii Edition was for Nintendo, it doesn't surprise me that they would be interested in tackling the other RE games with Wii control schemes.

I guess it's not something that personally interests me though. I find the porting issue to be annoying at times. I was one of the original purchasers of RE4 for Game Cube when it was first released, but the PS2 version offered more content and I was very interested in playing Ada Wong's extra scenario being a huge fan of RE2 which is my fave, I was drawn in hook-line-and-sinker. But when the RE4 Wii Edition rolled around, I wasn't up for buying it a third time. I guess it's great for those who are just now getting a chance to play it for the first time.

However, that being said. If Nintendo were to release a Wii Control Scheme Metroid Prime Trilogy set, I'd would literally extend my wallet forward with both hands with a "Yes, Master." *laughs* I guess it really depends on whether it is a game that I felt was worth it.

Panzer Dragoon games using the Wiimote would be another one that I would consider worth it.

-SkyeWelse

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:23 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
SkyeWelse said:
Is REmake a re-make of the Game Cube Resident Evil which was a remake of the first Resident Evil? : )
-SkyeWelse

That's the one! :)

You have a point; if it's a good enough game and Wii controls are going to add to the experience then on a personal level there's nothing wrong with that. Thinking in more general terms though are you happy to go out to buy a Wii game only to see the latest releases are repackaged GC games? Is the Wii library strong and diverse enough to tread on old ground so soon?

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:27 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
If I hadn't just gotten back into Animal Crossing with AC: City Folk, and if my fiancee and I hadn't just bought Wii Fit that we seem to be playing everyday (Also We Cheer as she plays it constantly) then our Wii wouldn't be getting much use.

For the longest time we let the Wii sit on the shelf and we tended to enjoy Xbox 360 games more, especially given that their online play actually works well for most of their games and for achievement reasons, of which I'm highly addicted to. During that time I would have said that there wasn't enough new content coming out for the Wii that warranted them to go back and start porting a bunch of old stuff and remaking several more. But the more I look closely at the Wii's lineup, there are a bunch of hidden gems that are actually quite fun to play, (I'll admit, the one time I personally tried out We Cheer!, I will say it was quite fun.) most of which are ones that can be enjoyed on a day-to-day basis.

I was a bit disappointed with the biggest Wii game of the year (besides Wii Fit) was that of WiiMusic. WiiMusic didn't seem all that interesting to me and it looked very mediocre, even for children.

I guess I'm not terribly bothered with the Wii Controls being added to remakes of older games as much as I am with some of the Game Cube ports of Resident Evil 2 and 3 and the Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes remake. As long as the new controls are innovative enough, it does offer something new even though it is old packaging. With the three GC titles I just mentioned above, the ports of RE2/3 didn't offer much if any new substantial content or graphical improvements. And the Twin Snakes added over-the-top-cheese-factor to the somewhat believable action sequences of the original MGS felt cheap and unnecessary to me. "When did MGS have to become the Matrix?" was what I kept asking myself during the entire time I was playing it.

Another port to the Wii with Wii Controls that might be interesting enough to where I wouldn't have a probem with it is "Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem Wii Edition". If they were to release that again and add "just enough" new content and new controls for the various insanity gameplay sequences, it would be enough to warrant a new purchase of an old title.

At least many of these new Remakes are not sold at the full price of most new Wii games. If they were, I'd have a real problem with it I think.

But thinking more on the subject, it is kind of discouraging in general to see so many older titles of good games being meshed with the new, because another way to look at it
is that the new generation games are not being developed well enough to sell enough copies, so companies are looking back at stuff that was instantly successful in order to milk it and squeeze whatever new sales they can get for it.

-SkyeWelse

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:57 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
SkyeWelse said:
But thinking more on the subject, it is kind of discouraging in general to see so many older titles of good games being meshed with the new, because another way to look at it
is that the new generation games are not being developed well enough to sell enough copies, so companies are looking back at stuff that was instantly successful in order to milk it and squeeze whatever new sales they can get for it.

-SkyeWelse

Just to concentrate on the above quote - I think this gen is in permanent "Shenmue mode". Which is to say that the cost/length of production and realistic profitability targets aren't matching up. Developers still seem to be holding onto a "more is more" ethos when it would be more practical to create something that would traditionally be considered less succesful but catered to enough people to be self-sustaining.

So to get back to the point I actually wanted to make; I believe these ports are just props for the newer more expensive titles, but they don't do anything to solve the problem this gen has created.