Wii music: garbage or just misunderstood?

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:50 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Meh. I'm torn. More than half of it sucks (en mi opiñon), and the rest are ok. Most of them just Completely abandon the melody and go off on unrelated tangents...

Ps what ever happened to pick and choose new/old for each song?

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:51 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Garbage, bro.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:00 AM
"Huzzah!"
I haven't bought it, so I wouldn't know.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:02 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Don't buy it. It's garbage.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:04 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I've only heard a few but Mimiga village really reminded me of the Midi our good buddy Wedge of Cheese made up.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:07 AM
Been here way too long...
Opinion = opiniόn, not opiñon.
If you think half sucked and the other half were meh, then it was garbage man.
Haven't listened to it all yet, but it's not nearly as good as the original.

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:12 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Sheesh, what rage

I may not like all the bleeps and bloops they threw in there, but a lot of the songs really do sound better.
They've added more to each one, which, even if the bleeps are slightly irritating, is rather neat.
I disliked the original Graveyard theme, but I really like this new one. {Just an example, haven't heard all the songs yet}

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:39 AM
Wii music: garbage or just misunderstood? Redux

In most cases they really calmed the sings down... Like all boss music (gravity, eyes of flame, oppression, last battle) weren't as intense as in the original. They weren't really intense at all, to be honest...

Songs I did like (in no particular order):
living waterway
mimiga village
labyrinth battle (not quite as good as the original)
plant
meltdown 2
tyrant
balcony
the first half of running hell
idk which others

I gues I retract my statement of half garbage/ half ok songs

unfortunately, the songs they screwed up were used a lot (gestation) ugh

plus what's up with the "got item" tune? Delayed and quiet? And bad?

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:58 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Re: Wii music: garbage or just misunderstood? Redux

I only care about Oppression. Can anyone say if they ruined that?

*Gets shot for focusing entirely on Oppression again*

Mar 23, 2010 at 2:48 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

I'm more interested in white, because we won't stand a chance of hearing it if someone can't complete the speeded up version of hell in under 4 minutes

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:30 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Note: this is more or less a copy and paste of my post on the other thread, since I didn't see that this thread existed yet.

The Music isn't THAT bad, it's just different. Some of it was kinda better (like tyrant, and geothermal was on the edge of that too, and living waterway). The new music was good in it's own respects, it did take a very different turn from the original soundtrack though.

The one thing I can say about the new soundtrack that wasn't good, and this is what I believed plagued most of the pieces, is the almost complete abolishment of percussion. They simplified the pieces too much (used only 8-bit-ish synths) and this took away from a lot of the character that the pieces had. Like the new gestation. Original was awesome. This one not so much (it's good if you listen to it, kinda like an ok remix) but I think it's the lack of opening percussion that makes it not as awesome.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:40 AM

Jackalope said:
I only care about Oppression. Can anyone say if they ruined that?

*Gets shot for focusing entirely on Oppression again*

the details are a bit fuzzy, but it was a little down-played (reorchestrating it into soft, mild instruments was not a good idea), but it was still catchy nonetheless

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:09 AM

Soft!? Mild!? In my oppression?!?!

No elevator music in my oppression!

Edit: But I wanted it to be in all caps. Sheesh.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:17 AM
Elavator music'd! Was pretty much the entire feeling of the game...

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:19 AM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
The Music isn't THAT bad, it's just different.

This statement completely encompasses how I feel about the WiiWare version's music.

It's a lot like how Mega Man 10 's music was widely bashed like the day it came out since the instrumentation was so completely different than MM9's or MM1-6's for that matter, but after a few days people quickly realized the entire soundtrack is badass as hell.

Cave Story Wii's won't be that accepted, like, ever, I'm pretty positive. However, it's not that bad, and I think it'll be hated less as time goes on. I for one am totally in love with that pillowy-soft mix of the title theme in the WiiWare version's main menu, and I really love a lot of other remixes like Labyrinth Fight but overall I enjoy the original music a lot more.

I wish they'd have done some more modern-sounding "real" remixes of the tunes, but perhaps that'd have been somewhat unfitting and played against Nicalis' seeming direction of wanting to introduce more new players to the game, and for them to respect the retro feel of it in all ways.

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Aha: Someone has ripped the new music from the game, so we all can hear and judge for ourselves. (It's the MIDIs.)

I shall be back later with my opinion of Oppression, I suppose, as I am busy now.

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:32 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
They took out all the bass too :/ "Elevator music" is a very good analogy, and I don't know why they made all the remixes even beepier and boopier than the original chiptune mixes. Almost all the tracks just lack energy now, and regardless of if they're okay on their own I don't think they're appropriate for the game.

Not to mention above all is the fact that (as Chaddy has mentioned a couple of times) THE MUSIC DOESN'T EVEN LOOP PROPERLY, WHAT IS THIS RPGMAKER CHEAPNESS?

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:35 AM
"Huzzah!"
I heard the tracks, some i like more, some i like less.
It's a different but respectful take of the original music.

Sincerely I'm worried more about the glitches, if they have a strong impact in the game or if that they can be easily ignored, and if they will be corrected.

EDIT: The link posted here is midi? that render the files far from "genuine" or "true" if I don't have the correct set of instruments in my synthesizer, there isn't an mp3 version or something taken directly from the Wii version?

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:16 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Oh...

Oh man...

This is what happens when you try to make something that was ALREADY great even better. Ya kill the very soul of it. Gah. Listened to the stuff, and I have got to say, elevator music fits it perfectly. Oppression former battle music is dead in the new one. There's nothing to pump you up for that battle, nothing that tells you that you are fighting one of the MAJOR bosses of the game. I am saddend. Greatly saddend. :(

Only Curly actually sounds any better.

Dr (aka "Tyrant"), in the old version, was friggin' badass. You could tell he was going to be trouble later on.

The new one? Sounds shitty at best. No resemblance to the original.

WTH is up with the new Ballos? Sounds like it belongs in some Rare game... Again, no fear, no energy, nothing. Sounds silly.

Cemetery...surprisingly not that bad. Just different. Eh, I could listen to it. ^^

Eyes of Fire. Kinda weak compared to the original. Sounds just far too soft. Same could be said for a vast majority of these songs. They have no oomph.

Gravity... T.T

WHAT THE FREAK. They ruined this one. Sounds like it belongs in some horror game that you battle stuff. Actually, no, that would be insulting to a horror game. Too weak for a battle song. Seriously, compare the two and tell me which is battle music. AND F*** THOSE DAMN BELLS IN THE BEGINING. Argh.

Hell... since when did it go from Running Hell to creeping Hell? Seriously. Again too soft. No energy. Too much going on. Sounds kinda aquatic, maybe thats me. ><

Jenka...They pretty much killed the songs. One again sounds too cartoonish, more like some Rare game. Jenka 2 was better, but not by much.

Kudou (aka "Pulse") has way too much going on. I tried imagining the feeling that would come after the Core battle should you go the bad way, but it sounds too happy. I tried when you do the good way, and it doesn't have that feeling that you are trying to save someone...

Last Battle has lost the epic. The absence of any percussion ruins the feel of the song. No beat means no power, which means that the player just doesn't feel anything. :<

If wished, I'll go into greater detail about these songs.

Perhaps I am far too attached to the originals. But, I just do not like these songs save for one. And that is Curly. They managed to get her's right.

EDIT: HOLY FRIGGIN CRAP I JUST REALIZED WHY I LIKED CURLY'S NEW SONG. IT HAS PERCUSSION. CYMBALS, SNARE, BASS, THE WHOLE SHEBANG. NOW I WISH THEY DID THAT FOR THE REST.

I will say one good thing about it all. No ear rape. Which is nice, but only one song is really memorable.

Okay. I'm good now, just had to get that off my chest. Oh, and I realized that I only went over a few, but I honestly don't want to listen to any more of the new songs.

EDIT2: I realize they are midi's, but I still stand by my judgment. I don't like the increased variety of instruments nor the absence of percussion in the majority of the songs.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:16 PM
WHOAH.

Just got back from Oppression. While I would hate to hear this while fighting the Core, it's not horrid, it's... different. It's outer spacey. The intro is quite... evil. And very creepy. Okay, as boss music against the core, I reiterate, it fails. But if you're being stalked by something in a level that you will eventually fight, a very scary and ominous thing, or even if it was for, say, Nightmare of Metroid Fusion... I FREAKING LOVE IT. Oppression: Impossible to ruin, if the melody and not the instruments are substancially changed (Iron Head, WiiWare)?

Anywho, Cyo reminded me I should check out Jenka 1 and 2, my most favoritest level songs. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Maybe not. I guess I'll report back with an edit...

Okay, here I go. Lesse... Curly (Main Theme) is a'ight, but... I was hoping it'd build up into something. It's so... placid.

With Jenka, I echo the Rare sentiment, but I rather like the polkaness. Jenka 2, however, should GTFO. Candle not held. (Also, interestingly, they both remind me of two different Genesis games from my youth each... Aladdin and Marsupilami.)

Last Cave phails. No Mariachi. That tinging is annoying, and that background noise is the only thing remotely threatening, which it should have been if we were given no Mariachi.

Wanpaku (Mischievous Robot) is the same as in a vid I saw before, which I gave my opinion on (not entirely terrible). Not touching its counterpart, which I didn't like much to begin with.

A lot of this music is either Rare-y or similar to Genesis songs from my youth... but Weed (Grasstown) smacks of Banjo-Kazooie like nobody's business. Were this actually taken from it, I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

What the hell Vivi (Gestation) doesn't sound a thing like the original... okay, not until late in. (Also, Quackshot)

Okay, I can't say a single thing to defend Ginsuke (Balrog).

Okay, I can't say anything bad about Grand (Geothermal), besides that damn buzzing noise. It's so sad. It's so desperate. It's perfect.

Fireeye, fine I guess, but isn't even a fraction of the original.

Okay, even as some post-modern whatever... well... Okay, Balcony doesn't completely fail.

Cemetery... Can you say Saloon?

Pulse would fit a downcast "after the credits(?)" level with an overcurrent of hopelessness... Or credits themselves.

At first I thought Quiet was gonna be faithful. Then what-the-fuck happened.

Marine (Living Waterway)... What have they done to you? ;_; And of course it only sounds like itself later.

LastBt3. At this point, I'm gonna hazard a guess the other two boss musics have lost what made them fill the niche they set out to fill and did originally.

Anzen (Safety) is now Final Fantasy shop music. I haven't even played a single FF game. Before you ask, I heard they all sucked, and that was part of it. Anyway, point is, I know that per se.

Ooh, MDown2 is a happy, industrious little town.

Maze (Labyrinth Fight), go die plz.

Oside (Moonsong) is a lot like how I described Pulse, except actually rather hopeful, which is odd because I consider it one of the three saddest songs in the original. Also, they based it on a remix instead of the actual song, I noticed. Hm...

Well, in summation, I think most of them are okay if you don't expect them to be at all like the original, just like the Super Mario Brothers movie. The only ones I think are absolute irredeemable blights (having not heard all of them...) are Balrog's Theme, Quiet, and Labyrinth Fight. I suppose I've been pleasantly surprised.

But, none of them belong in Cave Story, except for the main theme which was merely a watered down version of the original. They all belong in different games and/or settings entirely, and if placed where they belonged, some of them would actually kick ass, I think. Basically, Nicalis would have performed well if this were Science, but they're actually in Social Studies. Pay attention to what it says on the door next time, plz.