Why didn't misery compensate for quotte's moevent like she did for king?

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:43 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
well like the title said i wonder why Misery didn't compensate for Quote's movement in battle she has shown she can in the battle where King lost against her magic. yet in the boss battle with quote though aiming she always released the thunder at place where he had ample time to avoid it if hie didn't stop in his tracks. I know it fueled another theory if she did compensate for it she still would have been a doable boss battle but just a bit harder.

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:57 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Elementary

King's an enraged rabbit fueled by the cliché anger of having one of his own hurt.
Quote's an insane, amnesiac robot with a thing for panties and lipstick.

Which is easier to predict?

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:05 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
and misery didnt need to predict for king his rage just made him rush to the doctor without stopping quote was calmer and ready so there you go.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:31 PM
Re: Elementary

VoidMage_Lowell said:
King's an enraged rabbit fueled by the cliché anger of having one of his own hurt.
Quote's an insane, amnesiac robot with a thing for panties and lipstick.

Which is easier to predict?

easier to predict or not the lack of predictability could be compensated fr waiting till he was in the middle of the 3 thunder orbs she used and then unleashing all 3 at once that way if he turns it was compensated if he went on it was compensated and if he decided to stop moving it was compensated. another trick she could have used aiding her aim is useing her block conjure magic to stack a few forcing Quote to stop in his tracks instead of just trying to drop them on his head.

and bet there where more she cold have done but didn't so even if predictability for quote is lower then king still she didn't so we still can discuss.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:49 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Villainy 101

And why didn't Balrog and Misery simply attack him at the same time, instead of one or the other, when he started becoming more and more of a nuisance? Why teleport him to the Labyrinth when teleporting him over the edge of the Island would be doubly effective? Misery and the Doctor can float/teleport, why not blow up a hole so large/cause a cave in in the Final Cave/Balcony that Quote would have no chance at all to get by? Why not stick him in a bubble in the first place, like with Sue?
Etc.

Simple Answer:
Because the game would be too short.

Badguys are -always- idiots, that's what makes winning possible.

And again, King was stupid easy to predict, it was a single rush.
Since the player controls Quote, he's capable of anything, you can out-predict Misery {You could easily play an entire fight and never fall under the black orbs, for instance}, King never bothered to try.
That and this is an Indie Game, what kind of advanced AI are you expecting?

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:24 PM
yeah i know Misery could have done all that too and i think some of that Missery was forbidden because the doctor was too paranoid of Quote finding a way back somehow to the island (i agree the actual reason probably is to lengthen gameplay)

As for idiocy among badguy's i know and the only exception would be when you are the badguy.

yeah i know how easy her attacks are to dodge(she is the first boss i n scratched(all forms of Balrog managed to hit me once or twice in my first platrough as i mistimed my jumps and didn't know his pattern(easy as hell maybe but you have to seen it atleast once to know)

And well complex AI isn't always needed for things like aiming compensations(invisible sprite's attached to Quote as targets. actually i've seen some AI complicators that aided avoiding(the target marks telling where Ballos's attacks land is one of them) infact some f my battle move ideas might have been easier to script in AI(for example the 3 orb at once trigger)
also even if this is a indie game i've seen games you had to buy with half assed AI(especially in newer games) while i find this game's AI quite well done for freeware

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:33 PM
Been here way too long...
Re: Why Didn't Misery Compensate for Quote's Movement in battle??

Because Misery wanted to lose.
The only way she could be freed of her curse was if qt could kill ballos and/or the current crown bearer. Hence, it isn't very smart to teleport your one salvation over a cliff. She had to LOOK like she was trying, though.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:21 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Mmm... slice... cake...

Lace said:
Because Misery wanted to lose.
The only way she could be freed of her curse was if qt could kill ballos and/or the current crown bearer. Hence, it isn't very smart to teleport your one salvation over a cliff. She had to LOOK like she was trying, though.
I really, really doubt that, unless she somehow knew the Doctor was still alive and was about to take over when she tried threatening Quote to leave or she'd kill Sue.
I almost thought the same thing, but the scene before the Undead Core doesn't fit no matter how you slice it.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:13 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Pixel didn't give Misery the ability to compensate for your attacks! The only one who does that kinda is Curly with missiles, Core with getting too close/too much damage at once, uh is that all?

You could say unless it is a cutscene, then you are only given an impression of the actual battle. If you wanted a true battle between Misery and Quote, first off; Misery wouldn't probably do the same thing twice. She'd learn from Quote's attacks, and become more difficult to defeat the longer it takes you.

If she bubbled you; you could probably bust out if you shoot it enough... but if she had bubbled you over some spikes... :o
Or if she had bubbled you then lightning striked the bubble..!

Point is, you got an impression of the great battle against Misery... Think of it as someone telling a story... "And Misery summoned bolts of lightning to follow Quote! And just when he dodged them, a giant boulder was sent flying at him!" compared to actually seeing what happened.

(Same goes for why all creatures look the same, act the same; same for why each type of texture has the same exact texture...)
We aren't seeing a real life Cave Story, but Pixel's retelling of Cave Story.

Otherwise...
If you defeat Misery reallllly fast, then she only gets to try each attack once, and you're just that good.
(Fly over her head unleashing a fully powered spur downward, then switch to lvl 3 blade and unleash, then as you pass through her switch to super missile and pow, pow, pow! all in one shot! Can't dodge that kind of kill!)

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:07 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
X-Calibar said:
Pixel didn't give Misery the ability to compensate for your attacks! The only one who does that kinda is Curly with missiles, Core with getting too close/too much damage at once, uh is that all?

You could say unless it is a cutscene, then you are only given an impression of the actual battle. If you wanted a true battle between Misery and Quote, first off; Misery wouldn't probably do the same thing twice. She'd learn from Quote's attacks, and become more difficult to defeat the longer it takes you.

If she bubbled you; you could probably bust out if you shoot it enough... but if she had bubbled you over some spikes... :o
Or if she had bubbled you then lightning striked the bubble..!

Point is, you got an impression of the great battle against Misery... Think of it as someone telling a story... "And Misery summoned bolts of lightning to follow Quote! And just when he dodged them, a giant boulder was sent flying at him!" compared to actually seeing what happened.

(Same goes for why all creatures look the same, act the same; same for why each type of texture has the same exact texture...)
We aren't seeing a real life Cave Story, but Pixel's retelling of Cave Story.

Otherwise...
If you defeat Misery reallllly fast, then she only gets to try each attack once, and you're just that good.
(Fly over her head unleashing a fully powered spur downward, then switch to lvl 3 blade and unleash, then as you pass through her switch to super missile and pow, pow, pow! all in one shot! Can't dodge that kind of kill!)

Misery can only take 80 damage before she becomes invulnerable and warps away (and summons those energy balls or the giant stone block, which is not a boulder).

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:11 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
X-Calibar said:

Ma Pignon doesn't get hurt by Super Missiles(I think) or the Blade.

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:51 AM
yeah i know Pixel didn't program her to learn from your gameplay stile(but would be fun if they did but i know that would be really complex AI but is possible.))

and well maybe modders could make it so in mods but dunno how moddable enemies are though

Misery is an adept magic user and knows how to aim and even how to calculate time needed to reach her shame she didn't use it against Quote but it is nice to discuss and i love reading others opinion in it no-matter how serious they take the idea.

Jul 1, 2011 at 8:17 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Maybe the Doctor only said to "attack" Quote, she had to attack honestly but maybe she tried to lose by not defending herself? Remember how Balrag had to attack Quote, but it wasn`t forbidden for him to "help" Quote. Maybe Balrog insisted that Quote and Curly keep this a secret, that the Doctor wouldn`t learn about their "mental evasion" of commands - otherwise the Doctor would command them not to use mental trickery.

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:28 AM
yeah maybe but i doubt it would be that but could be.