Why did Ballos hold back his ultimate power?

May 21, 2011 at 7:15 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I doubt anyone can answer this, but I just realized...

"Ballos' magical abilities finally ran wild.
The king was engulfed in the swirl of magic and destroyed in an instant.
In a single night, the kingdom that Ballos so loved was reduced to ashen ruins."

Recalling Ballos' forms of attack :
Flying at you, landing causing the ground to fly to pieces.
Lightning strikes.
Changing into a bouncing earth/rock monster that is mostly invincible (except the eyes!)
Adding deadly demon eyes to the transformation.
Summoning an army of heavenly/unholy angels and bats to aid him.
Controlling the dead (sorta, making spikes, skulls etc)

But, I don't any kind of ultimate attack that would reduce you to ashen ruins ... (let alone a city).
The lightning comes close, but that just doesn't seem quite right.

I'm expecting FIRE, FLAMES.

"As I looked on, unable to quell its firey rage, it took from me my loved ones, my children, my dearest wife...
Their cries of agony soared above the flames."

There wasn't even a hint of *fire* in the fight with Ballos (besides the lightning strike in the beginning).

So...

My guess would be, either so much time has passed that his power has faded since that time.

Or, perhaps the seal chamber that prevents him from leaving, also keeps him from utilizing his real power/the core was limiting his power, and his magic is just returning.

Or, he isn't willing to use that type of attack due to the tramatic experience (doubtful)/he wants to die.

Which theory do you support? Any other thoughts?

May 21, 2011 at 8:55 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
iirc all the bones that cause damage were on fire.
Aside from that, (I'm going with) the majority of Ballos's power (say 65% or so) is dragging the island down
And you fight the other 35%.
Just a random thought.

May 21, 2011 at 9:59 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
uhh guys how much hp does the island have cause he kinda K-Oed it without even knowing muhahahahahahahah!!!!!

May 21, 2011 at 10:25 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Malpercio said:
Aside from that, (I'm going with) the majority of Ballos's power (say 65% or so) is dragging the island down
Just a random thought.

I'd say it's more around 57% and 43%

May 21, 2011 at 11:51 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Malpercio said:
Just a random thought.

I don't think they were on fire? I watched a Ballos battle to be sure, but his smokey bones he throws at you are all white smoke.
The regular missile launcher and super missile launcher both have red fire "smoke explosions" and regular white, just smoke.

Plus all his bone attacks didn't have radius explosions, but just smoke trail. Since they are piles and piles and piles of old bones, I would think the white smoke is just bone smoke/dust/poison or something, since the white smoke doesn't hurt you.

EDIT : Looking again, the white flashes seem less like explosions but, shockwaves. He hits the ground hard and BAM! The shockwave sends killer bones everywhere.
And the spinny smoke trail skeleton heads that fall, don't seem to explode... but they are pretty odd... I dunno. Firey heads? Maybe... but I might guess, he didn't use firey skeleton heads to burn down his kingdom.

As for dragging down the island... I dunno if it works like that?
If you think he's expending power trying to bring down the island, then that means the Core which made the island float was holding back even more than Ballos, since the island was still floating even if Ballos is always trying to bring it down [although you could make some theories like, it feeds off his power, and reverses it or just gets stronger by feeding off of ballos' energy]

[assuming the core makes the island fly, then after killing it how does it stop? Well, there were many little cores weren't there? They probably are young cores that can't stop Ballos' power, but maybe enough to make it float]

May 21, 2011 at 11:51 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Fairly obvious, I'd say...

Don't forget that he wants to die.
He's probably doing as much as he can to hold back as much magic as possible to give you a chance to kill him, and even then can you see how powerful he is. He's probably not holding all of it back, but enough to go from Kingdom Destroying Power to merely toughest boss in the game.
He does say the magic is controlling him {Won't let him kill himself}, and he can't completely stop it by himself.

Also, he did only unleash the Kingdom Destroying Power when he was under the utmost amount of torture, so it could really just fall under a sort of Eleventh Hour Superpower.
It's there, but only as a last resort sort of thing. {Else how the hell would the King have been able to do any of that crap to him?}

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:56 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Re: Fairly obvious, I'd say...

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Don't forget that he wants to die.
He's probably doing as much as he can to hold back as much magic as possible to give you a chance to kill him, and even then can you see how powerful he is. He's probably not holding all of it back, but enough to go from Kingdom Destroying Power to merely toughest boss in the game.
He does say the magic is controlling him {Won't let him kill himself}, and he can't completely stop it by himself.

Also, he did only unleash the Kingdom Destroying Power when he was under the utmost amount of torture, so it could really just fall under a sort of Eleventh Hour Superpower.
It's there, but only as a last resort sort of thing. {Else how the hell would the King have been able to do any of that crap to him?}
This, and maybe that so much time went through that his powers starts to weaken according his elderness?

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:18 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Now that this has been re-opened. I would say the same as Lowell about wanting to be killed. Ballos wants you to kill him so maybe his full form isn't revealed. Also Jenka has little power now. She has already used a lot of her powers. Maybe since Ballos has been keeping the island up for so long he has used up a lot of his "resources?"