Who's your favorite character in Cave Story?

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:16 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
...and why?
No one word posts, those are for babies.

Mine is probably Curly Brace, she shows the biggest variety of emotions in the story, and gives Quote more voice, as well as providing one of the only deep connections he forms with anyone on the island.

But that's just me, I want to know your favorite :3

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:44 AM
Been here way too long...
Kanpachi for being mysterious and intriguing. He has sparked so much controversy with such minimal character development!

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:55 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Curly, since she seems to be one of the happier characters of the game, and her dying on your first playthrough (unless you're a cheat) helps as well.

Misery is more interesting as a character though, she's the most 3 dimensional of any of the characters in the game.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:00 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
I think Chaco is a pretty cool guy, seh treats her visitors veeeery well and doesn't afraid of herpes.

Okay, no. I'm actually not fully sure, but I think I'll go with Toroko. Sure, she was a pretty flat and undynamic character, but there's something about determination without the strength to back it up that I find endearing. She was only a child, yet she constantly defied the village's xenophobia (even in the face of the main man running the village) and welled up the courage to attack (what she thought was) one of the Doctor's minions. That takes some serious balls to attack someone wielding a gun with just a stick.

Though, it's probably her death that makes me choose her. Not just that she died, but that you had to kill her yourself. Makes her character much more tragic, or at the very least makes you feel like a complete asshole. Even if that's not exactly the best foundation to base a favorite off of, I'll openly admit killing her made me cry for a week and THAT HAS TO COUNT FOR SOMETHING :muscledoc:

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:39 AM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I really likedthe core in my first couple of playthroughs,
Just think it plays a big role in the storyline and looks pretty damn epic (Especially Undead Core)

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:18 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Beta Sue / Sue / Busty Demon Sue, just not human Sue.

Why?

Because human Sue isn't furry.
So excuse me fcor a second, while me and Shiny Phatoms Drunkenbiter will gladly fap furiously to Sue together now. o:

But in all seriousness, I do find her my most favorite character in the game. She's cute, and well, she's one of the main characters. She would kick Curly's trashy blonde metallic ass any day, she's beaten up her brother before, you know!

Beta Sue also seems badass beyond belief. I love those little markings below her eyes, makes her seem so aggressive, and vigilant. Plus, she has a pretty cool vest / shirt. Why degrade Sue so much pixel? She looked wonderful in Beta.

Busty Demon Sue = Sweet moves, can tell she has a nice ass, got some overrated large funbags, and she's partly human. Makes it all arousing to the eye, while you shoot the living fuck out of her, pixellated style - baybay~!

Human Sue - Very tan, or black. I don't know. Who the fuck are you?

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:51 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Sue. Ralren pretty much said why.

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:21 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Favorite character..?
Long story short : Curly Brace

But...

Well, Toroko was the most important character to my feelings towards Cave Story...

Before she died, the game was a happy go lucky adventure, shooting random things; seeing curious things, having a good time lol.

Then... suddenly ... THEY KILLED HER! :)
ANd THEN KING! :(

Then they drop you down a deep hole to let you reflect on how things went from light to DARK...

I actually restarted the game after that to see if I messed up and could save Toroko. And then I discovered Curly Brace...

I saved her the first time I played, but only because I kept restarting when I realized Curly wasn't coming back. XD I wasn't going to let another Toroko happen :o

Why Curly Brace > Sue > Toroko?
Toroko got NO character development time...
Sue started strong but then got caged. When Sue had a chance to earn big development points... Quote slept through it.
Curly... well she actually gets to travel with you, you get to save her and she gets to save you, she wields a machinegun (and gives it to you), and is in general goofy, badass, and cute.

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:16 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Misery. She interests me a lot. I was always fascinated with the concept of absolute obedience and I love evil chicks..and chicks with blue hair. Meh.

And her backstory always intrigued me..though we know barely anything about it. Her relationship with Jenka, Ballos..all that stuff. How she would be if she weren't a slave of the crown, and if she really had any empathy or regard for what she did. And I guess her relationship with Blargo too. I dunno.

I would put more detail into my answer and made it less retarded, but I haven't played Cav Stroy in like, forever.

Also, stop lusting over black chick's asses, Rorloan.

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:49 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Ralren said:
So excuse me for a second, while me and Shiny Phatoms Drunkenbiter will gladly fap furiously to Sue together now. o:

Aren't you forgetting somebody? :p
If anyone remembers my fanboy crush rantings on Sue, then I congratulate you because that means you've been here a pretty damn long time, I haven't let those out in ages.

But in all seriousness I think King is my favorite. He really seemed like just an undeveloped autocratic leader character at first, so
his sacrifice in the warehouse scene was really powerful. Especially him trusting you with his blade made me really attached to his character. Just when I had started to get over the shock from the cutscene my blade hit lvl 3 and I saw his spirit, which instantly made the whole event even more emotional. The fact that Quote is a silent protagonist that anybody's personality can adhere to really makes it feel like King's spirit is with you rather than Quote.
Not to mention he's the absolute perfect mix of cute and badass, I wanna huggle him but at the same time I wanna see him chop something's head off.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:38 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
cultr1 said:
...and why?

Andwhy is a Cave Story character? Why was I not informed of this!?
</dumbassery>

Yeah, I'd have to go with Curly. She's really innocent and yet really tough at the same time. Her death made me the saddest of any of the characters' (the first time I played, that is). I really love the sort of almost-romance she has with Quote; it's portrayed really well.

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM
/end
I feel as if I walked into the past...

Anyway.

Jenka.

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:28 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I didn't really have one favorite character. Though the dude that stands out the most for me is probably the hermit living in the cave. The way he gave his heartwarming, emotional speech accompanied with the fitting music of cave story. In a way I can relate to him. I live a pretty isolated life. Also whenever something I'd created gets borrowed without permission I get frustrated as hell (who doesn't?). But only by lending that creation to another can I truly understand its true power in the hands of Man. Like he said, there have to be creators and users.

Apr 29, 2011 at 6:11 AM
Indie game enthusiast
MetaSeraphim said:
I feel as if I walked into the past...

Anyway.

Jenka.
After more thought I think Jenka's dog is my favorite character.
I think the island is like this :

Wonder who caused the Core Base to flood? Blew up the Egg Corridor? Opened up the door to Hell? Now you know!

May 17, 2011 at 8:53 PM
/end
You know, we need a fully 3D horror version of Cave Story.

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:31 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Favorite Characters?

Balrog iz kool

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:35 PM
Re: Favorite Characters?

Ahem. Sorry, we got one of those already.

Please use the search button next time.

PS It's Curly Brace.

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM
Indie game enthusiast

Sue Sakamoto - she outwardly feisty and tough. And the first question on everyone's mind when Cave Story starts... "Who's Sue?"
Sadly, she runs off on her own, gets trapped, and trapped again. We never get to develop any kind of bond; other than "he looks lost... can he come with us?"

Curly Brace - In theory I love Curly Brace, but in truth; it took a while before I became interested in Curly Brace. Why...? Maybe because she was a little quirky in the PC translation. I dunno, I guess because Sue was first, I was more interested in her in the beginning.

Although these days I see Curly differently thanks to mods and theories...

Loves :
Toroko ... ?!?

lol, well. In truth Toroko is the reason I really decided I love Cave Story.
Without her sudden demise I don't think I'd have been so attached to this game. It took me completely off guard, and got me all pissed off (and teary)... I thought I had screwed up somewhere, so I restarted the game looking for what I did wrong. Apparently though, she is destined to ...

By the time Curly bit the bullet, I wasn't sad, I was just like nah uh, not happening again. Restarted and got her through alive xD

Dislikes :
Doctor Dumb - He really is kind of a lousy villian in my oponion. He hardly got any screen time, and his character is pretty flimsy. He's just a typical villian... (moreso in the PC translation)

Hates :
... uh
the guy who says : "A black wind blows through you..."

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:18 PM

X-Calibar said:
... uh
the guy who says : "A black wind blows through you..."

He goes by the name ZAM, no one knows why...
:3c

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:05 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
*My first post here on these forums*

Im going to say Sue.

She kinda reminds me of me irl with the way she acts and her persoality. And also Sue is short for Susan which is my mothers name :D