Who else has a habit of starting another project before finishing your others?

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:45 PM
"Huzzah!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I think people have a poor habit of underestimating the actual amount of work it takes to make a game, and/or specific parts of games.
And/or that some don't care when they start doing it and realize that later on.

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:50 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
*Raises hand*

Oh man, you have no idea, I even have a couple lately that I just didn't start because I thought about how my projects go and I just decided to hold off. You know me, I'm the Big Idea Man. I have too many hobbies, like I've tried music, drawing, animation, 3D animation, programming, Cave Story modding, a Youtube vlog with one crappy video...

I'm trying to focus on the game I'm programming, it's looking pretty decent, I basically finished the engine so I need to make a set of levels.

EDIT: Oh I almost forgot the comic I started making recently. Kinda like how I used to make one-off comic strips (one of them actually made it to 3 issues) back in like Elementary School. I might still have them. I'm not sure if I WANT to see them again. xD

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:26 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I make plans before I'm finished with a mod. Like right now I'm focusing on Doctor Who Story but have plans for three other mods, one of which is a remake of Mappy using the Cave Story engine.

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:28 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
HAHAHhaha.

Let me see... 75 stories in my In Progress folder. Twice that in the dreaded On Hiatus folder. One OFF fangame and all the assets that entails. (This one is actually less stressful because I'm working at a slow but steady pace.) A to-be-released Ask blog. (All I have to do is draw the intro comic; I even absolved myself of drawing the two pictures for the layout. Shouldn't take me more than two hours at worst.)

Did I mention that the longer it takes to finish a story, the less likely that event will occur? Some of the oldbies here remember Scout Story - and I STILL haven't given up on that, if maybe I might gain the inspiration to rewrite fucking everything from the ground up. (I hustled to get to the end, and it was STILL for naught because the thing was that bad)

Connorses, I feel you. There's no cure for this condition, no alleviating it, just... kinda no nothing. I'm not even seeing success with choosing one/two stories and only focusing on those, because that does nothing to stop NEW ideas of equal or greater complexity cropping up. Couple this with trying to get actual sleep and not neglect your friends and family (DOOMED TO FAIL) and you have a losing battle you can never just surrender. At least not for more than a few days at a time, without feeling like pure clart...

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:59 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
COMPLETED:
"Adblock Filters For Preventing Myself From Ever Writing Or Reading A Profile Feed Again": Take a guess. This is why my signature has changed.

Created because I keep making mistakes talking in profile feeds. I *HATE* it when I make social mistakes, and this is how I prevent it.

sort of completed:"Minecraft Beta server for Minecraft Classic Worlds":Worked, but couldn't be ported to later versions of Minecraft. If you really want, PM me for a link.
"simple_robots": Simple programmable robots for Minetest(not Minecraft). Never really became popular. Was actually released.
IkachanMapEdit: For it's original purpose, anyway.
BoosterStory: Joke Cave Story mod. Mostly to show off my "universal NPC" mod which allows people to write their NPCs in C, not in ASM.
(see QuoteHax's profile feed, it'll be one of the last things from me you'll see on any profile feed ever unless I go mad)
ONGOING:
"Cat Basic": A (hopefully) fully-compatible replacement of the proprietary freeware programming language "Just Basic".
Aims to be less buggy, but fully compatible where it makes sense.
If you want, I can send a copy to you, but if you don't know Just Basic, it's useless, and it's missing a lot.
GUI sort-of works, but lots of missing controls, some missing functions, IO needs LOF() and INPUT$() implemented...
"TYMP": A music player, built with libsndfile and liborganya. Not going to ever be released, but it does work.
ABANDONED:
Okay, in reverse order:
Many, many attempts at making programming languages(spread out over time)
Many, many attempts at building CPUs in Smartsim(turned out better in Logisim. Also spread out over time.)

"Filtering Proxy": Attempt at making it so I could never read a profile feed again(I made one mistake on these things and I ban them from myself).
Was superseded by a simple AdBlock filter.
Tetra Worlds: A 2d game where the world is made with a quadtree. Gave up due to lack of motivation.
SCL(Signal Control Language): a attempt at making a programming language that can be used to build Terraria computers(might redo this with Dwarf Fortress)-describes the positioning of simple logical blocks to build computers.
UltraTest: Test to try and push the limits of my new computer. Abandoned due to a problem with texturing. I should backport the code from SCP-CB-work, since that's known to work.
BVM: A attempt at a BASIC language. There were no block commands, just labels and comma-split commands (such as "if 1=2,[hello]")
This was abandoned because the person I was developing it for apparently can't learn a new programming language. At all.
This revelation lead to Cat Basic, eventually...

Now, I've forgotten about or removed a few more projects from this list.
But you get the idea. If you want a screenshot, ask- I can take screenshots for all except "Tetra Worlds","SCL" and "Filtering Proxy".(first 2 since they don't work, last one because it has no visual output)

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:04 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
...you prevent social mistakes by shutting everyone out?

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:06 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Doors said:
...you prevent social mistakes by shutting everyone out?
Yes, I know it's screwed up, but I get so annoyed when I make a social mistake that I just do it to avoid getting that annoyed.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:19 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
oh god, what's he going to do when he realizes that shutting out everything whenever he feels uncomfortable is a social mistake?

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:22 PM
Captain Fabulous said:
oh god, what's he going to do when he realizes that shutting out everything whenever he feels uncomfortable is a social mistake?
I'm not shutting out everything, just getting rid of things that end up resulting in social mistakes.
Also, you did realize I was going to read that, right...? I said PROFILE FEED, not "forum posts"...
(EDIT:Forgot to mention: Why don't we get back on topic?)

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:14 PM
I guess I have such a habit?
Aside from the Lunar Shadows stuff, I'm also a writer (of about three or four stuff), and working on a fictional language that my ex-boyfriend never finished (since he didn't want anything to do with the language at all since September 2013, and with his death in late April 2014 I'm currently the only one who has all of his notes on the fictional language).

Though compared to most posts in this thread, that's probably not a lot =o

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:25 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I used to be like that all the time when I was young.

Now I just like doing one HUGE ASS thing and then just failing and realising it wasn't such a good idea in the first place.

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:24 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
deleted

Last edited: