Which game has the most beautiful graphics?

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Some games are just so beautiful or realistic and give an awesome experience. According to you, which game has the best graphics?

(There are better graphics than this, but I'll post this for the overall beauty)

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I think the game with the best graphics is Cave Story.

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Personally, I really really like Ōkami's art style. It's just the prettiest thing for me. :3

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I personally like cel shaded graphics; I'd say Wind Waker and JET GRIND RADIOOOOOO.

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I'll assume that everyone will start to pummel me through their computer screens when I type "Donkey Kong Country"...

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Asking which game has the most "beautiful" graphics is like asking what flavour of ice cream is the best - everyone will have a different answer, and some people will have multiple different answers. Personally I like artistic games like Okami, but I always feel a sense of nostalgia when I play good pixel-style games.

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:35 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Polaris said:
Personally, I really really like Ōkami's art style. It's just the prettiest thing for me. :3
Took the words right outta my mouth
MagicDoors said:
Asking which game has the most "beautiful" graphics is like asking what flavour of ice cream is the best - everyone will have a different answer, and some people will have multiple different answers. Personally I like artistic games like Okami, but I always feel a sense of nostalgia when I play good pixel-style games.

Agree on both points. It'd be better if it were phrased like "Which games' graphics do you enjoy the most?". Besides, best is really subjective. Some consider the highest detail and most realistic to be "best", whereas others prefer the artsy fartsy stuff or retro things.

Lesse. Super-realistic graphics are impressive, but I tend to go more for the artsy styled ones. Again, Okami, Journey, or even little things like Knytt Stories.

Sep 22, 2013 at 1:17 AM
/end
Better titled would be "Which game has the most high res graphics?"

Or something like that, I don't know.

Sep 22, 2013 at 1:33 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
I'v always like the high-res but not over textured graphics like Sonic Unleashed/Generations.

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:01 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Bombchu Link said:
I'v always like the high-res but not over textured graphics like Sonic Unleashed/Generations.
What does this even mean???????

But yeah the Insomniac Spyros are still fairly pretty games. Especially Spyro 3.
p173801-0-52800spyrothedragon28e292.jpg

p173801-1-gnastygnorclevel.jpg

diph.php

p173801-3-269984spyrothedragonyearofthedragongameplay.jpg

p173801-4-spyroyearofthedragonplaystationps1007.jpg

Yeah I know that these images aren't convincing enough but it's kind of one of those games you have to experience for yourself. Also, Google Image Search sucks when finding genuinely good screenshots for games.

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:35 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
What does this even mean???????
It means I like clear graphics over textures.

Clear:

p173802-0-500pxsonic20the20hedgehog20420episode2012020main20pose.png

textured.

p173802-1-250pxlink.jpg

I just prefer the charm of clear graphics.

Sep 22, 2013 at 7:42 AM
War criminal
And there's always the distinction between telling what the characters are or not in pixellated games. Clear or blurry.

Sep 22, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Professional Whatever
Oh yeah I forgot about Twilight Princess, I really loved the feel of the graphics in that game :3

Sep 22, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Rayman Legends. It's what most games should have looked like today if everyone didn't become so damn obsessed with shockingly bad 3D back in the nineties.

Sep 23, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I remember being quite impressed with Odin Sphere's graphics when it came out...
Too bad it wasn't HD and for one of the newer systems. Unfortunately, even though it had lovely digital art... On second thought, I don't think it'll reach MOST beautiful game. Though this game was the closest I came to buying an anime figure. It was too beautiful D:

There was another old one too that blew me away.
Saga Frontier 2... The game was mostly hand-drawn watercolor graphics, resulting in some beautiful scenes. (Like a certain sunset...)

Limbo was a great looking game too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD5F54SZkMA

When it comes to realistic 3D engine beauty... I think they will keep being replaced for some time to come. They've come a lonnnng ways though.

For instance, I tried Tomb Raider 2013 recently and it is pretty beautiful. Fun to add gfx injector programs that can tweak or enhance the graphics as well... The really stunning games usually have a mod community dedicated to enhancing textures and graphics... Mass Effect games for instance had some pretty neat sights, and modders take up the slack to create high res textures.

There are many good looking games out there, but if we wait long enough these 3d games will once again pale in comparison to the latest thing. Though, eventually we'll hit a ceiling and finally we'll see who is left standing...

TL;DR
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Probably would be easier to come up with a "most beautiful" game given some kind of short time period or category.

Sep 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
> limbo
ugghhh I am so tired of "artsy fartsy indie games where the environment/everything is a black silhouette because art is hard"
give me the colour

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:37 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Can't tell if you're serious, Nox

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:34 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
To this day I'm awed by how good Chrono Cross looks. The level of detail, creativity and depth of, well, everything is incredible. The static artwork is naturally timeless, but even the in-engine models have such style that I find them as impressive to look at as anything that's come since. I have no idea how they managed such artistry on the PSX (and on only one and a half discs too, no less).

Sep 24, 2013 at 5:57 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Love me some Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter.

p173811-0-500xdrawntolife2review.jpg

Also Journey because fuck me.

p173811-1-journeyscreenone.jpg