Where can i learn to use a hex editor

Feb 8, 2009 at 10:40 AM
"Huzzah!"
i know the decimal system but i dont know how to locate the codes and so on

i would really like to learn

Feb 8, 2009 at 12:56 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
It's called a base system. The decimal system is specifically base 10. It took me a moment to figure out what you were saying because of that. So first thing is don't call hex a 'decimal system' ever again because you'll confuse people.

Now, the "codes" you want are actually called "offsets", and if you want to find them yourself you should not be using a hex editor at all. A hex editor is for modifying the program on disk. But first you have to figure out exactly which piece of code you want to modify, and for that you should be using a debugger. I recommend OllyDbg. OllyDbg will allow you to pause the game in the middle and it will disassemble the code for you and let you step through the code line by line and watch exactly how the game works internally. It's actually really cool. But... you will need some fairly good knowledge of computer programming and assembly language before anything OllyDbg shows you will make any sense to you. So if you're interested in learning this stuff you might want to start by reading up on that.

As a simpler jumping off point there are Action Replay-like programs for PC such as GameShock which will help you find "cheat codes" (actually what they are is a tool to locate memory addresses). So for example a program like this could be used to find where in memory the game is keeping your current health value, and then write over that value to give you 255 health.

But if all you want to do is muck around with the game and goof off, there's probably a list of offsets around somewhere that do various things to the game you might find interesting. I know I posted a modification that gives the Booster 2.0 unlimited fuel a few threads back.

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:42 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
A hex editor is actually really easy to use – almost as easy as Notepad.

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:49 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Most hex editors come with a manual. If it doesn't, find a better hex editor.

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:19 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The offsets use the hexadecimal (base 16) numbering system. While the decimal (base 10) numbering system goes from 0-9 (10 single digit numbers) before reaching 10, hexidecimal goes like this:
0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F,10,11,etc.

That is 16 single digit numbers (the letters represent numbers btw) from 0-F, as opposed to decimal's 10.

So the number 2F in hex (short for hexadecimal) is 47 in decimal.

The windows calculator program can convert between hexadecimal, decimal, octal (base 8), and binary (base 2), when put into scientific mode (found under view). Just insert a number for a certain numbering system and then switch the numbering system and the number should change to fit it.