When did Arthur fight the Red Demon?

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I've always been interested in the side story about Arthur fighting the Red Demon, but I can't seem to be able to figure it out on the timeline on the Tribute site. Did Arthur defeat the Red Demon before or during the attack of the robots from the Surface? Would the Doctor have been present at the time? It just seems like such a different tangent that doesn't really fit in with the main plot of Cave Story.

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:42 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
July 7th 1994

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:51 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
That's because the only significance it has is that his house is what the humans built the portal in, Arthur ate Red Flowers and went after the Red Demon because it was the only way he could protect the village from it, he scared it back into the Last Cave, injured or not, and died in the fight, this might've made the doctor realize the power of the red flower, but the focus is because it was a threat, and it was before (10 years ago.)

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Um...

Arthur didn't die in the fight. The Doctor's henchmen (read:Misery and Balrog, but probably mostly Misery) killed him. I think someone (Jack?) says something to to the effect of "he was a fabulous warrior, but there's not much you can do against magic..."

He likely was the first line of defense when Date sent his servants to take Mimiga, and was the first to fall to Misery's magic.

And he defended the village from the demon, which might imply that the Red Demon came to the village to feast, and Arthur drove it back from either somewhere on the outskirts or somewhere in the village itself.

Toroko doesn't mention her brother being a hero, but that doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't know.

And Arthur NEVER defeated the Doctor, Storykeeper. D:

As for when he fought it? Not sure. I mostly posted to clear up the misconceptions here...I think.

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:55 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Random-storykeeper said:
Demon, Doctor, what difference does it make?
The difference is that the latter would result in Cave Story not having a plot

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:00 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
MagicDoors said:
The difference is that the latter would result in Cave Story not having a plot
Well, they're both red and uh...demonic, and make for somewhat irritating bosses. But that's besides the point. I just want to know where the whole "Red Demon" event fits in with Cave Story's plot. Sheesh, it's been clear that I haven't played the game in quite some time and am missing some important details and whatnot. Clearly not enough to pick up my fics that have to do with the backstory of the game...

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:16 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Hm. I'm pretty sure that he defeated the Red Demon sometime before the Doctor arrived. Maybe a year or two or three? Or it could be a half year or something, not sure. Either way, assuming Mimiga age at pretty much the same rate as humans, and Arthur was in his twenties or late teens when he drove off the monster, it could be that he was slightly young (say 8-12?) when Miakid was stopped by Quote and Curly. Therefore, he survived the war, perhaps being deemed unimportant or being hidden in some way - or maybe even managing to stop killer robots on his own, who knows? (That would actually be pretty neat as the start of his fighting prowess.) Point is, it was sometime in the 10 years after the war and before Cave Story that Arthur fought the Red Demon.

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well I suspect that most of the Mimigas that survived the war didn't take part because they were most likely children at the time.

Think about it. The surviving adult Mimigas eat the red flowers and defeat the robots at the cost of their sanity, then the survivors of the rabid Mimigas are controlled by Miakid using the power of his newly acquired crown and sent to attack the surface. This leaves us with very few adult Mimigas. Chie was the only Mimiga with anything close to parents, her grandfather, but he was obviously too old to fight. This would also explain the general ignorance regarding the war and flowers that has set in after only 10 years. So we can assume that Arthur rose to the occasion sometime during the last half of the ten year span.