whats the diffrent between cave story pc/wii/3ds?

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
i know that the graphic diffrent but i saw that theres secations for the pc and the 3ds topics

so is there a diffrent and which?

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:13 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
Different content (Wind fortress, Curly story, etc.)

Other than that no.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Oh boy.
Um, I guess besides graphical differences, there are multiple modes in Wiiware, 3DS has expanded levels, and PC has mods.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
so its llike loz oot and loz oot master quest?

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:47 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Cave Story PC: Orginal Game, pixels, story mode only.
Cave Story WiiWare: Story Mode, more graphics (pixels LOL), Curly Story, Time Attack, remastered music and Boss Rush.
Cave Story 3D: 3D Graphics, mode 3D with pixels (original cave story pixels), and remastered music

I have the PC version, Wiiware version and DSI ware version.
i want to buy the 3ds version

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
so what is the best platform? (i dont give a butt about grafics)

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:37 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
PC

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:06 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
yeah, the PC version has sentimental value, is the best for me ^w^

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I'd recommend PC as well. It's more awesome `<`

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Professional Whatever
= not corrupted by nicalis also no stupid western jokes

But the newer versions do have more content, so definitely worth checking out if you can.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:53 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
It's not as simple as "PC/Wii/3ds".

CS Original (PC, Mac, Linux, GP2X, GP2X Wiz, PSP, X-Box): Unaltered cave story. Moddable.
CS WiiWare (Wii): New game modes, 2xRes graphics, new music, new translation, with old music and visuals available if you so wish.
CS+ (PC, Mac, Linux): The Wii release, except it has achievements. Moddable.
CS DSi (DSi): CS for the Dsi, has a reportedly better time attack mode than CS+ but lacks the new visuals.
CS 3D (3ds): Cave Story with 3D models (the characters aren't much to look at, but the environments are stunning), new areas, new item placements, and it feels slightly more difficult despite doubling your max HP. Better music than CS+. Worth looking at if you've played CS to death and want to try a new take on it.
CS 3ds eShop (3ds): CS+ for 3ds, except with 1xRes 2d visuals (no 3d models here) and a stereoscopic 3d (3d Glasses style 3d) layering effect.

I did make this page for a reason ya know:
http://www.cavestory.org/info_gamereleases.php

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:11 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
PC - An original, these translations will probably be much harder to understand at young ages. There is only one mode, boss rush?
Wii - Released 2010, you have a new, easier to interpret translation along with 4 new modes... that requires the completion of Blood Stained Sanctuary.
3DS - Holy macaroni, Nicalis just HAD to release two versions. Cavestory 3D, besides the terrible 3D, is almost a copy despite where everything is located.
3DSWare (Dang you Nicalis) - Almost a copy despite new modes (Curly's originally being corrupted.) and that translation.

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
The way you said that makes it seem like CS Wii is better than vanilla CS

It also makes it seem like the official translation is better
And what the fuck man, I understood Aeon Genesis and I played when I was eight, don't go spreading false information

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
ChimeApple said:
Cavestory 3D, besides the terrible 3D, is almost a copy despite where everything is located.
3d visuals aside, it is less a "copy" than any other CS release. Sounds like you've never played it.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
andwhyisit said:
3d visuals aside, it is less a "copy" than any other CS release.
Hm... well, now that you mention it... no. I've played it briefly, the visuals looked terrible, and it almost seemed like a similar script. (Although, Nicalis did it by scratch... maybe I should've payed attention to detail.)

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Well, they added a few new areas and changed a few items, but that's still more changed than a lot of other Cave Story ports.

Oh, and you can get a lot more hp too.

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:10 PM
First-hand experience with the 3DS Cave Story (As my first played game on the 3DS, because I'm a moron who expects some semblance of competency with console releases):

The background and foreground objects, being standard flat rectangles, were likely re-textured rather easily, and possibly by Pixel himself. As a result, aside from a few finicky 3D effects that zoom toward the camera yet go under the HUD, and the Seal Camber making the spikes on either side rather hard to see, these backgrounds are by far the most enticing part of the game. Many of them take a creative new twist (some good such as Sand Zone, and some bad such as Outer Wall and the retarded idea that the island is mostly mechanical), and are beautiful to look at.

Of course, that said, since they are the background, you aren't suppose to focus your attention on them all the time. So what of the actual characters?

Well, imagine someone put together a really good model of a character in Blender or some other 3D modeling software, but then opted to never actually texture them. Sure, the colors and general shadows are there, but the textures are just flat, lifeless colors. That's effectively every foreground object (and some background objects!) in the game.

Moreover, the game is riddled with small things that as a player you might never actually stop to appreciate, but are stupidly noticeable when done badly, such is the case with CS3DS. The teleporter doesn't flicker correctly or retain that 'upward dissolve' thing the original game had, and the player merely vanishes sloppily. The teleporter's flashy light around the player doesn't quite animate correctly either, so the player character will have already disappeared when it actually decides to turn on. Several other animations in the game simply fail to play as well, such as King attacking the Doctor with his sword, instead proceeding to face the wrong direction entirely during the brief conversation, and without his sword.

The map system, while nice in theory, is fairly ugly to look at, but is also riddled with ridiculous flaws. The design choice to highlight doors in a particular color decided it would remain consistent by every door, and as a result the clock room on the outer wall is stupidly easy to find (and in fact I don't even think that old clock block hinting it's location even exists anymore). It will also stretch ridiculously to try to compensate map sizes, causing it to ultimately look inconsistent, and not at all like an actual map system you're in possession of. It's just a window on your DS that shows the map, and no more indulgent in the fantasy than that.

The 3D the game adds, while nice to look at, also exhibits several flaws in their execution. While I said before the background was nice to look at, the camera seems to think so too and will constantly re-angle itself to show all of it. While it's used to some nice effect in the pointless additional area in 'Egg Corridor?' (whose only purpose was to use the 3D, where they could have done similarly the entire game but were too lazy to), the game is still ultimately tile-based. As a result, you'll VERY often think you're positioned in front of a common background object, for example Chaco's fireplace, but proceed to not actually examine it by pressing down until you're a smidge more to the right or left of it where the actual tile is. Instead of compensate for these obvious flaws in using 3D effects, they decided not to bother repositioning the examine boxes to be in line with the camera, rather they decided to add long streaks of light from the door to show where you're SUPPOSE to be standing. Effectively fixing the problem by calling it the player's fault, when it's clearly theirs.

Besides the 3D, even the 2D sprites you can view in 'classic' mode are flawed. Each of them now has some needless shading layer overtop of them, causing every sprite to look like a flat piece of paper dipped in ink. And you'd THINK they'd be able to actually keep the 2D animations consistant where they failed to do so with the 3D models, but you'd be wrong. Even the 2D sprites pre-programmed to work correctly in the original version for PC fail to properly animate or render. Flying Gaudi's, for example, don't flicker purple before they shoot at you. The aforementioned Sand Zone cutscene with king fails to actually have the red eyed toroko sprite.

Finally, the decided extra content in this version is... none whatsofucking ever. You don't even get a boss rush mode. All you get for beating Hell in the game is the ability to speed-run hell from the menu. Because I guess even Nicalis don't want to play the game they failed to make anymore.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:57 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The new areas are all the extra content I need, and unlike CS+'s extra game modes they are not tacked on at the end but are instead intergrated with the main game.
The music is on par with the original.
The backgrounds are amazing and every time I look at it I find something new.
The character models are ugly and the sprites that replace them are blurry, same for the map and bullets, I won't deny that.
The trigger vs camera issue never worried me, so I can't really comment on it.
The HUD, menus, items, weapons, facepics, message box, etc. all have had a rather nice coat of paint.
The game now has more upgrades and is rebalanced for it.
It's actually slightly harder than the original.
The loading screens at the end did butcher Breakdown, something that I wasn't all that impressed with, that and they forgot to remove the core during that sequence.

The main attraction for me is that, unlike CS+, it brings something new to the main game itself.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:50 AM
andwhyisit said:
It's actually slightly harder than the original.
Haha. Hah.

I played hard mode on my first and only run of the game. Being forced 16 HP down my throat before hell (which offers an additional 4 for no reason) wasn't exactly 'harder than the original'.

Actually the 'hardest' part was probably still not being used to the funky off-center D-pad on the 3DS by the time I was IN hell, causing me to die a few times in the 2nd floor's rock-a-thon, but even that was quickly overcome. :|

The main attraction for me is that, unlike CS+, it brings something new to the main game itself.
But did it NEED it? What irks me the most about Nicalis is their constant obsession to shoot themselves, and Pixel, in the foot. Releasing Cave Story on four different consoles is dandy, but the wedge of time between each is the only thing forcing you, or anyone else, to think something new should be brought to the table. Not that there's anything wrong with expecting that; but that's Nicalis' fault for taking their sweet fucking time between releases of the same damn game.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
ZarroTsu said:
Haha. Hah.

I played hard mode on my first and only run of the game. Being forced 16 HP down my throat before hell (which offers an additional 4 for no reason) wasn't exactly 'harder than the original'.
I meant during a normal difficulty run. -_-