What's on the Island and how big is it?

Nov 26, 2006 at 11:15 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
diph.php

here is the only image of the island
and i cant tell whats on it

is it a mountain with a building to the left?

is it all just a city?

like how big is it?

i'm thinking its a mountain top with cities and buildings scattered around.

is there anyway to contact pixel about this?

Nov 26, 2006 at 11:55 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well Pixel said that he left most of the details to the player's imagination, so it looks like we're back to prophecy and deduction :)

I think it probably is a mountain with a building, since none of the places in Cave Story except for the Balcony and the Outer Wall extend 'outside'. The mountain could also potentially contain some of the game maps, which would add another twist or whatever to the whole map thing. As far as I can tell the left edge is where the Balcony is set and the tower is the Throne Room complex. If it was meant to be a whole city then Pixel probably would have included that in the game, and he didn't, so I doubt he would have just stuck a city on top of the island for the hell of it.

Nov 27, 2006 at 1:22 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
I'd think there was at least a little bit of city on top - perhaps for the Mimigas that lived before they were first sent to the surface to invade? The Balcony is building enough to make me think otherwise.

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:47 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
but that thing in the middle
doesnt that look like um.. the sky tower
but wider
like you know

Nov 27, 2006 at 4:17 AM
"..."
Too high - the scale would make the island tiny.

Nov 27, 2006 at 1:10 PM
Hoxtilicious
I don't think it's a building I think it's just like the Balcony Tower but it's much more bigger and taller.

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:30 PM
i figured i would zoom the island back enough not to show
here is a sneak peak:

diph.php

that's the helicopter with KAZUMA, his wife MOMORIN, his daughter SUE, Professor BOOSTER, ITOH and The DOCTOR are on.

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:55 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
puzzle1.jpg

A while back I tried fitting the pieces together to get an idea of the size myself... Whether this is accurate at all is left to you :p :) This also doesn't account for 3d~ But it might lend an idea...

Maybe about the size of floating Ys for those who've played Ys 2 ;)
p8846-1-img04.gif

Which easily held mountain regions, 2 towns, and plenty of surrounding areas ~ [and Cave Story was all about the underground! Which I'd say would be many times larger!]

Nov 27, 2006 at 8:27 PM
Indie game enthusiast
It's basically left up to our imagination but, I've trying to keep in mind any clues left by Pixel; for instance why doesn't the landing expedition in Cave Story find the crown almost immediately; being out in the open next to ruins; and sitting on a throne ;)
Whether this is intentional, the opening scene is dark inside that throne room, so I imagine the throne room was buried~ And there must be another way to get there :p And there must be plenty of ruins on the island for the scientists to not really immediately go for the prize...

Maybe a city with a similar story to Pompeii? [Except Ballos...and the castle~!]
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/Pompeii_the_last_day_1.jpg
yeah that must be it... as seen in "hell" the city/castle must have been buried for the most part~

er that's what I'm thinking anyways ;)
oh and f-ram.net! You did a good job as well~! Seeing various perspectives may lead to some truth...

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:56 PM
"..."
Holy CRAP.

That map is amazing.

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:37 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Well I don't know about amazing :p but...

Maybe I'll cook up a from scratch map, while working on the mod, that reflects this Cave Story plus my additions :o
mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Cave Story is coooooooool ;) ;)

Feb 12, 2007 at 10:01 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
f-ram.net said:
that's the helicopter with KAZUMA, his wife MOMORIN, his daughter SUE, Professor BOOSTER, ITOH and The DOCTOR are on.

im not trying to be picky
but Kazuma is not married to Momorin
at least i hope Momorin did not married her own son :p

Feb 12, 2007 at 10:09 PM
Hoxtilicious
Ragamuffin said:
im not trying to be picky
but Kazuma is not married to Momorin
at least i hope Momorin did not married her own son :p

Haha yeah that would be a deblace :D
It that legal anyway? O_o

Jul 16, 2007 at 3:26 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
X-Calibar said:
It's basically left up to our imagination but, I've trying to keep in mind any clues left by Pixel; for instance why doesn't the landing expedition in Cave Story find the crown almost immediately; being out in the open next to ruins; and sitting on a throne :(
Whether this is intentional, the opening scene is dark inside that throne room, so I imagine the throne room was buried~ And there must be another way to get there :o And there must be plenty of ruins on the island for the scientists to not really immediately go for the prize...

Maybe a city with a similar story to Pompeii? [Except Ballos...and the castle~!]
yeah that must be it... as seen in "hell" the city/castle must have been buried for the most part~

er that's what I'm thinking anyways :p
oh and f-ram.net! You did a good job as well~! Seeing various perspectives may lead to some truth...

Thinking about it, it is probably a section of the kingdom ballos ruled.
Jenka must have just grabbed whatever he was standing on to make
the floating island, not wasting any time since he was busy slaughtering
his own people at the time.
And also, the magic probably sustained him for centuries
while technology has advanced because the people now feared magic.

Well that my theory anyway.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:26 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Thinking of the CS world as a 3d world, rather than as in the game may help. The game describes only left to right orientation. So it is perfectly possible for Hell and the Final Cave to overlap in 2d representation if the Prefab building is WAY far off the game screen as compared to the entrance to balcony.

Just my 2 cents.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:59 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
X-Calibar said:
It's basically left up to our imagination but, I've trying to keep in mind any clues left by Pixel; for instance why doesn't the landing expedition in Cave Story find the crown almost immediately; being out in the open next to ruins; and sitting on a throne :(
Whether this is intentional, the opening scene is dark inside that throne room, so I imagine the throne room was buried~ And there must be another way to get there :o And there must be plenty of ruins on the island for the scientists to not really immediately go for the prize...

er that's what I'm thinking anyways :p

Who said they didn't immediatly find it?
Before Sue, Momorin and Co. came, the last wearer was already death for about 10 years, since that's the time the invasion was and Quote and Curly Brace came.
When Quote wakes up, the doctor had the crown for about a month.
So they probably arrived about 1-2 weeks before the doctor found the crown and he catched a ride for this reason alone anyway.