Nov 16, 2011 at 12:28 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Heh heh heh boner.

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:32 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Fnar fnar, never heard THAT one before.

On-topic though, I play piano, saxophone (all sizes), and am slowly but surely learning the guitar.
I guess you could say I play most single-reed instruments, but clarinets' alt-keys scares the balls off of me.

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:53 AM
inside is yello
"..."
I play piano, clarinet, and for 5 months now, alto sax.

Depending on how you define alt-keys, the argument could be made that the clarinet has less alt-keys than the sax.
[/SPOILER;][/SPOILER;]

Hurrah for semicolons.

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:56 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
Besides trombone, I also play the ocarina, piano, and I'm slowly learning trumpet.

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:58 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Getiing this thread back on topic, i ordered an official LoZ ocarina. :D I'm learning how to play it. I can play a horribly screechy song of (un)healing only so far. ._. :awesomeface:

EDIT: Late to the party. ._. It's back on topic.

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:00 AM
inside is yello
"..."
It wasn't off topic, or at least, not when you posted.

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:03 AM
Shimmyzmizz said:
It wasn't off topic, or at least, not when you posted.

Yes, it was an epic fail. XD I only thought there was one page.

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:56 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I play drums (haven't touched in forever) and keyboard (haven't touched in a longer forever). Also would like to someday at least learn how to play bass guitar.

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:48 AM
squidward
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
keyboard, piano, guitar, bass, my computer, and probably drums if I had any

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:25 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
I play the ocarina and a tiny bit of the piano. I prefer six hole pendant ocarinas, but I can also play a 12 hole (my two 12-hole ocarinas broke though, I have trouble not dropping things :toroko2:). I'm also at that lovely sweet spot in which I can say I've been playing ocarina for seven years, and I'm pretty good, although I only play sporadically. I'm kinda tempted to play a few songs and upload them, but mmmm...

I'm completely self-taught. I learned how to play by ear, and still can't fluently read standard sheet music, mostly because I never really bothered. I did start off with some starter songbooks, but they used ocarina tabs for the sheet music illiterate.

Also mostly self taught with the piano. Had a few lessons, but I had a really shitty instructor and he didn't help much. I can't play it nearly as well as the ocarina, multitasking hands hurts my brain.

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:27 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Shimmyzmizz said:
I play piano, clarinet, and for 5 months now, alto sax.

Depending on how you define alt-keys, the argument could be made that the clarinet has less alt-keys than the sax.
[/SPOILER;][/SPOILER;]

Hurrah for semicolons.
I don't mean side-keys or alternate fingerings (bis. B, F# side key, etc.), I meant the horrible and unspeakable things that your "octave key" does to your fingering

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:04 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Lol you said fingering.

I have an ocarina, but I can't play it for a lick. I am not a musically inclined person at all.

But yeah. I should really learn guitar and the first 10 seconds of Stairway to Heaven so I can get bitches all up on me.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:23 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Synth, piano.

From early kindergarten I wanted to play the violin so so much. I didn't get one, because a music teacher said to my parents it won't be good for me if I don't have a 100% good singing voice (which she "competently" diagnosed after one do, re,mi,fa...if that's possible lol). Another music teacher told me later that the first who told me that was totally wrong and crushed my childhood dream unnecessary. I might still get a violin though, I still dream on playing it with 26 years, don't know why. I have much less time now though...I want to play a violin!!!

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:16 AM
"..."
I'm almost a little surprised that three other people here also have ocarinas. Keep practicing guys, we need to bring the ocarina back. Also, if you learn how to play even just half-decently and play it in public, you'll get a shitton of praise and comments.

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:34 AM
daughter of chivalry
It's just a crappy one modeled after the Ocarina of time though. Sweet potato kind. It's not the fancy clay ones that people actually use. That's be pretty sweet though.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:47 AM
"..."
WD said:
It's just a crappy one modeled after the Ocarina of time though. Sweet potato kind. It's not the fancy clay ones that people actually use. That's be pretty sweet though.

You can get a decent clay 6-hole pendant ocarina for like $15 or $25. Or if you want a... *shudder* plastic one, they're like $8 or $10. 12-holes are a lot more pricy, usually like $60-$100 for a full-sized one.

Or go crazy overboard with a four-chambered ocarina for over $1000.

I get my ocarinas from STLOcarina and those work dandy for me, but you can also find some over at Songbird Ocarina. I don't know what their general level of quality is, though. I used to have a sweet potato ocarina from them, and I remember it being kind of airy sounding, but I can't remember if it was naturally like that or because I dropped it a few too many times and had to patch up some cracks with tape. That was years ago.

Edit: Uhh... I made edits. And then saw there was a post made while I was editing. So yeah.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:54 AM
daughter of chivalry
Yep, mine is a songbird. The quality is alright I suppose? I'm not one to judge though. Much better than plastic though, of course ;3

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:19 AM
"..."
Do me a favor and learn the shit out that thing through love and practice so I can invoke some nostalgia vicariously through you. A songbird sweet potato was my first and second, back when they had two different sizes of the thing. The first I gave away as a gift, the second got dropped a few times and had several cracks on it (as well as a chunk that had to be held with tape). Then I had a 12-hole, but that also got dropped and the mouthpiece broke off. I fixed it, but then I dropped it again and it shattered into like 10 pieces. Currently I have a 6-hole pendant, which is badly scratched up and a little chipped, because it snagged a ride with my bedsheets into the washing machine BUT IT STILL PLAYS JUST FINE. I also have a double ocarina, but it sounds really airy.

tl;dr: I am horrible at taking care of my possessions.

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:07 PM
I got my hands.... uh, toaster buttons, on a 12 Hole Zelda Tenor Ocarina (Special Edition) and a blue Rupee Soprano Ocarina with the Zelda Songbooks. pretty awesome, only problem is is that, like i said, i can only play a screechy song of healing. (Moar liek unhealing, amirite?) However, i was fooling around and actually managed to play the intro to smoke on the water very smoothly just now. :toroko2:

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:29 PM
"..."
Damn son, you're starting out with a nice piece of hardware there. You better love that thing like a child.

It's only expected to start out pretty screech, I know I was for awhile. Keep at it, you'll eventually learn proper breath control and whatnot naturally with practice. The songbooks are definitely a valuable tool for learning the basics, but don't be afraid to try and learn some by just working them out (like you did Smoke on the Water). Who knows, maybe you'll be one of the folk who play well by ear?

Song of Healing was one of the first songs I learned how to play by ear. Well, it was in one of my songbooks, but only the first measure. At some point I just kept going and slowly worked out the rest of the song on my own. Same story with Epona's song, that was another one I learned by ear early on.

This thread is making me nostalgia so hard right now. Ohh my little fledgling ocarinists, please keep learning for ol' Uncle Crip...