What Needs a Sequel

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:26 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
MetaSeraphim said:
Something selling well or getting awards does not mean it is good. Awards are based on opinions, and as you pointed out opinion doesn't equal reality. And sales are not a noteworthy way of defining whether something is good or not.

Thank you.

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:41 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Can you even name another way, then...?

MetaSeraphim said:
Something selling well or getting awards does not mean it is good. Awards are based on opinions, and as you pointed out opinion doesn't equal reality. And sales are not a noteworthy way of defining whether something is good or not.
Sales are a noteworthy way of telling if a game is doing well or not.
If a game is accepted as good by the general populace, it's sales will increase as well, leading to the very easy to make assumption that if a game sales well it is usually good.
Yes, there are exceptions, some great games never cost or never sale enough to even keep their company afloat rest in peace, Bullfrog, and some franchises pump out cash cows that everyone buys only to find out they suck, but don't bullshit 'Sales are not a noteworthy way of defining if a game is good.' because they are one way to tell.
And like I said, enough people think M was good, and you can tell by it's reviews and sales, that you can call it good.

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:57 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
In my opinion, whether or not a game is "good" is purely subjective. It applies to individuals alone and if you want to find out if a game is good the best thing you can do is to play it yourself (or watch a LP, but I feel that relies too heavily on the LPer and ruins the game for you). If you hear a game is good or bad that does help to act as a filter, but unless you play it it is ultimately unknown.

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:48 PM
/end
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Sales are a noteworthy way of telling if a game is doing well or not.

Nope, you're wrong. Sales are only a way of gauging mass opinion, and mass opinion is no more truth than just one person's opinion.

Like, Twilight, the movies. Both of them have made 100's of millions of dollars, does that make it good? No. Does that make it bad? No. It means there are fans who like it and find it good. It means there are people who hate it and find it bad.

Avatar, biggest grossing movie in ever. Yet it has a lot of haters. Does that mean it is bad? No. It doesn't mean it is good however either. It just means a large group of people found it good.

To move on to something different. Rebecca Black's Friday has 150+ million views on YouTube. Does that mean it is good? No. Does the mass amount of people who hate it mean it is bad? No. Some people enjoy it, most people don't. But it does not change whether it is good or bad.

Sales are not a noteworthy way of saying something is good or bad because nothing is a noteworthy way of saying something is good or bad. Something being good or bad is purely subjective and up to each person, there is no true good things in this world or bad things because everyone will have a different opinion about everything.

Sales only show something is popular, and something being popular does not equal good.

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:26 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Thanks for pointing that out captain obvious. Here, have this rock as reward.

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:49 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Man that took awhile

MetaSeraphim said:
Nope, you're wrong. Sales are only a way of gauging mass opinion, and mass opinion is no more truth than just one person's opinion.

Like, Twilight, the movies. Both of them have made 100's of millions of dollars, does that make it good? No. Does that make it bad? No. It means there are fans who like it and find it good. It means there are people who hate it and find it bad.

Avatar, biggest grossing movie in ever. Yet it has a lot of haters. Does that mean it is bad? No. It doesn't mean it is good however either. It just means a large group of people found it good.

To move on to something different. Rebecca Black's Friday has 150+ million views on YouTube. Does that mean it is good? No. Does the mass amount of people who hate it mean it is bad? No. Some people enjoy it, most people don't. But it does not change whether it is good or bad.

Sales are not a noteworthy way of saying something is good or bad because nothing is a noteworthy way of saying something is good or bad. Something being good or bad is purely subjective and up to each person, there is no true good things in this world or bad things because everyone will have a different opinion about everything.

Sales only show something is popular, and something being popular does not equal good.
I never meant that if something had high sales, it'd be instantly likable by you. No one ever enjoys every single mainstream thing.
But when a game is popular enough, there is a much higher chance that you'd enjoy it than something in the 1$ bin. I never said that it instantly meant it was good, I said it was one way you could try and tell, however.
There's really not much of another way, and you seem to be of the thought process that there's no way to ever tell how a game is without trying it yourself.
Go ahead with that if you want, I even agree really, but I also know looking at public opinion and such is another way to gauge a game without having to buy it already. And sometimes, even if you don't agree, a game'll be good, even if you don't like it. There's just some that have earned such a mantle, if you agree or not.
But to the main point, about whether a game could be good or bad, if you want to go with the it's all up to the own person bit, go ahead, I'll still believe that a game can have a higher label than that, and that sales/popularity can help judge.
Doubt the length of this conversation will change either fact. There's no hard logic for either.

In the end, MultiVac needs to change either way.

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:54 PM
/end
WoodenRat said:
Thanks for pointing that out captain obvious. Here, have this rock as reward.

I will value this rock for the rest of my life. Thank you.

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:58 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
hey guys hey

DARK CLOUD 3

why hasn't it happened yet

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:29 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Games are slightly different from movies because you actually have to play them. Transformers 2 may have grossed millions but nobody liked Daikatana. Of course, that's not to say that heaps of good games don't go by ignored or have been forgotten Mystic Ark :p

WoodenRat said:
I can't believe no one's mentioned Hakaiman.
Never even heard of it :D

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:16 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
sexplosive said:
hey guys hey

DARK CLOUD 3

why hasn't it happened yet

I don't know I'm waiting for it too.

Jun 5, 2011 at 4:13 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Re: We Need Psychonauts 2! Or do we?

As odd as it sounds, I would like a sequel to Portal 2. There's a lot left unanswered about Chell, and what has happened in the world. Though, they could continue the story in Half-Life 3.

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:44 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
The original Sonic the hedgehog needs a prequel to show how it all started. That would be cool :D

Jun 5, 2011 at 6:24 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
JetHawk95 said:
see above
no, it really doesn't
especially with the current team handling it

if anything a sonic 5 in the same vein as sonic 3 would be awesome

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:36 PM
Been here way too long...

Pokeyph said:
As odd as it sounds, I would like a sequel to Portal 2. There's a lot left unanswered about Chell, and what has happened in the world. Though, they could continue the story in Half-Life 3.

She lives happily ever after in a post-Combine world. GLaDOS has no one else to harm, Chell doesn't have a portal gun, and Wheatley is going to burn up when he re-enters the atmosphere. Good luck making a sequel out of that.
Also, Half-Life 3. HAW.

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:48 PM
A old relic from older days
"..."

Captain Fabulous said:
She lives happily ever after in a post-Combine world. GLaDOS has no one else to harm, Chell doesn't have a portal gun, and Wheatley is going to burn up when he re-enters the atmosphere. Good luck making a sequel out of that.
Also, Half-Life 3. HAW.

Actually I'm half convinced Chell dies shortly after Portal 2. Remember how Cave iterates how utterly toxic and hazardous the repulsion and conversion gels are? You get DRENCHED in both repeatedly. Or, if you're really careful, you just get drenched with conversion gel once, but that stuff is "pure poison."

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:12 PM
Been here way too long...

Cripplechair said:
Chell dies

Sounds unlikely.

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:54 AM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
You know what needs a sequel.

p128254-0-sigmastar.jpg

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:02 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I'll tell you what needs a sequel.

Beyond Good and Evil.

Or hey, Gunstar Heroes.