What mods have had original music?

Jun 5, 2021 at 11:04 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I don't think I've seen any do it other than Ordeal Pillar, Headman 1-2 and that pizza mod by Safusaka. If it really is that rare, then I hope that more people give it a try even if it's just simple stuff. If you don't know much about Orgmaker, look up some tutorials or guides or go to mlurker's orgmaker discord. Here's a link to the thread: https://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/the-unofficial-orgmaker-discord-server.14363/

Now I haven't checked but I definitely don't think there's any themes from Ordeal Pillar that were transcribed into Orgmaker and I think they were all original so correct me if I'm wrong.

I know this would probably be for the music section but bear with me here.
I'm bringing this up because I think we've all heard enough of the cave story tracks playing in mods and at this point it's just like "yeah cool I know that one". It's nothing impressive but it doesn't really dampen a mod experience. There's countless good mods that have normal music in them i.e Jenka's Nightmare, Sue's Story (those are pretty subjective but just roll with it) or maybe a more modern example like Another Cave Story Sequel! The main point I'm trying to make here is that original music can go a long way in making a mod feel new. I think I speak for most of us when I say that we've all felt some sort of indescribable magic when playing a really good mod for the first time. A lot of those probably had just bog-standard cave story music in the background which a lot of us probably just put to the wayside while playing them. My first mod was Aqua Barrier and I think actually played that before Cave Story and to this day I don't remember how I managed to do that. Past mistakes aside, my first major mod that I played before Jenka's Nightmare was Ordeal Pillar (or vice versa I don't remember). I haven't played it in forever, but I know that the music made it feel like a new experience. Like I said earlier, I haven't checked if it was from something else, but above that, it was actually really well transcribed if that was the case. It sounded incredible in Orgmaker which I think looking back now, I haven't heard such well produced orgs since I played Headman. The fact that it was a passion project really shows and looking back on it, I commend the amount of effort that was put into it. I should probably play Ordeal Pillar again someday...

Anyway, I hope that more people decide to integrate music into their mods. All it takes is to make a track, ask how to use org adder and bam, you have successfully made music for your mod. It doesn't matter if it isn't good either if you're starting out. You just have to try it out and see what happens.

Jun 5, 2021 at 11:23 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I feel like people using custom music might just be a bit more common than you think

Jun 6, 2021 at 12:04 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
A good number of older mods have had original songs in them. There's mods by Noxid (H4CK3R.STORY and Treasure Islands) because you said Pizza, there are other mods by Safu with original songs in them, Nimbase has original songs in it. And that's just mods with original music in it, there's several hundreds with transcribed org versions of other songs.

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:10 AM
Based Member
I'm surprised no one has mentioned WTF? Story yet. That mod is packed with original OrgMaker music, or at least Org remixes of music from games other than Cave Story, and they're all really well done. GIRakaCHEEZER has always been an outstanding musician in my book.

I actually never played The Wrath of Revorshkenahl, but I know that the creator, Wedge of Cheese, also had some pretty good musical talent, so he probably made some original orgs for that.

There was quite a lot of original music in "The Show," by Ollie. I didn't think the mod was anything too special, but I thought it was a little bit above average due to the unique sense of humor and creativity. It had a considerable amount of new music. I wasn't too taken by the music, but there was one song, "Jay," that I thought was pretty good.

If my memory serves me correctly, I think there may have been some custom music in Schism, by Xaser, but I don't remember for a fact.

Also, King Strife and Sacrifice re-used some music from Cave Story, but it also had some custom music that I don't remember ever hearing in any other CS mod. Don't know who it was that made that music though.

There's a little bit of custom music in Misery Story, and also in Amamichi.

There's also some custom music in Dreams of Reality 2 that I don't remember ever hearing in any other mod.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think it was the Tale of the Broxxus that I'm thinking of that had you playing as a robot other than Quote or Curly during the war on the island, and it had a very dark tone, and I enjoyed it a lot, and it had custom music. EDIT: Nevermind, it wasn't the Tale of Broxxus, that one was about a mimiga. I don't know what the name is of this mod I'm thinking of, and I can't find it in my folder. It was probably from around that era.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 3:35 PM
Well I've been living under a rock thanks for letting me know guys and now I want to know more about these old mods with original music

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:00 PM
Based Member
Okay, so it turns out that the mod I was thinking of where you play as the killer robot was Path of Ruin. The custom music wasn't amazing, but it was okay. I got this mixed up with Tale of Broxxus because both of those were made by Ralren, and when I originally downloaded it, I probably downloaded it in some big mod pack that included different versions of Broxxus.

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:02 PM
Okay, so it turns out that the mod I was thinking of where you play as the killer robot was Path of Ruin. The custom music wasn't amazing, but it was okay. I got this mixed up with Tale of Broxxus because both of those were made by Ralren, and when I originally downloaded it, I probably downloaded it in some big mod pack that included different versions of Broxxus.
It is from that one. It's on doukutsuclub. I also played Nate's Story in that mod pack and it was atrocious. I also felt like every version of Broxxus after the first one just got worse.

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:39 PM
Based Member
Another one I meant to mention but kept forgetting was openCS, by Jables. This is a really good mod that used some cool hacks, and one of them is a hack that lets you use .ogg files for music. So it's not even ORG music that's playing, it's non-chiptune music, and it fits the tone of the mod really well. Hard to believe it's been 4 years now since the first release of that mod, since I thought of it as a newer mod for quite a while.