What if there was a mod where you played Cave Story in reverse

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:35 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Not to be confused with Reverse Boss Rush from Cave Story 3D.

So like you had all your weapons and you could go do best ending or something but instead you'd find Booster there filling out a log. I'd imagine there would be lore reasons for it all as well but you could also just make a functioning version where you just got everything in reverse and progressed in reverse.

First of all, THATS BORING!

What you'd do is discard anything you know from the cave story timeline and only use what you learn from playing the game. You start on the Balcony, go down through Last Cave (up for interpretation), explore the Plantation and then you could either use the teleporter to grass town (but the door would be locked unfortunately) or go down the Outer Wall. While that's happening, the events of normal Cave Story would be happening, so Sue would turn into a Mimiga (the amount of time between all of this does not apply), Kazuma would get trapped in Grasstown and all that, so you could circumvent what happens to Sue with Igor by seeing what the heck he was up to and then stopping Sue going that way. If you want to do a return type thing like in the vanilla game then you could you could redo "Egg Corridor?" With hardly any enemies, all eggs in pristine condition, but not hatched (because he will not let anyone "TOUCH MASTER'S EGGS" or something like that, preventing the "Sisters" dragon boss fight.). I could go on, but there is a lot to dissect if the events of Cave Story happened in reverse. You could've even seen the Doctor when he got the crown and tried to circumvent it in some way! But before we talk about the implications of that, we need to talk about parallel universes. Who would've *CCRRRRT* the previ-s cr-zzrrt ho-

[DISCONNECTED FROM THE MAINFRAME. ENTER 5 DIGIT PASSCODE TO RECONNECT]

All in all I would love to hear more theories and explanations for the events occurring in reverse

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 7:45 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'd just decide to make an entirely new story with the reverted layout, but still retaining to elements from lore and the original story. It would be an interesting mod idea, tho.

Nov 17, 2021 at 1:27 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
do you mean the story happens in reverse or you go through the plot as it happens but you're in a different place

Nov 17, 2021 at 3:20 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
do you mean the story happens in reverse or you go through the plot as it happens but you're in a different place
Rereading everything I wrote here is making my head spin. For the sake of clarity, the second one.

Idk looking at this again you could do it from the start canonically, like when curly and Quote go stop that last crown guy just before the Doctor. A bit like what Serri said. The way I was thinking at the time was what if you started from the balcony and worked your way down, like you'd start just before the helicopters get down and shit. A head canon (which I definitely didn't make up just now) that I have is that the Last Cave isn't dangerous until after the Doctor gets the crown. I see it that way because misery can create those red bats and critters when she's in her alternate form, so I reckon those were made by the Doctor since he was the one that turned Misery in the first place

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 4:44 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Rereading everything I wrote here is making my head spin. For the sake of clarity, the second one.

Idk looking at this again you could do it from the start canonically, like when curly and Quote go stop that last crown guy just before the Doctor. A bit like what Serri said. The way I was thinking at the time was what if you started from the balcony and worked your way down, like you'd start just before the helicopters get down and shit. A head canon (which I definitely didn't make up just now) that I have is that the Last Cave isn't dangerous until after the Doctor gets the crown. I see it that way because misery can create those red bats and critters when she's in her alternate form, so I reckon those were made by the Doctor since he was the one that turned Misery in the first place
hmmhmmhmmm i sees, so more of the Latter