What do you appreciate the most about 'Cave Story'?

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:52 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I recently purchased 'Cave Story: 3D' and although I liked it, I feel the remixes and the new sprite design took away from the original Cave Story charm. Pixel's work is always cute and the music is always pleasant, but the 3D version seemed to be a downgrade. :(

So what do you think makes Cave Story the great game it is? The music, sprites, graphics, plot, etc.

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:58 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The Physics Engine, actually.

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:10 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I like when the Hermit Gunsmith tells you about how even if 1 person appreciates his work, then he will be satisfied. This is just like Pixel saying how even if 1 person plays his game and likes it, he will be satisfied.

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:15 AM
Oh wow I never made that connection. Honestly that whole speech was pretty powerful stuff, I'm surprised that line didn't stick out more than it did D:

Also I love the music, but, duh.

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:36 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
The Physics Engine, actually.
---
Yeah that is something that stood out for me upon playing the game for the first time. ^ ^
---

I like when the Hermit Gunsmith tells you about how even if 1 person appreciates his work, then he will be satisfied. This is just like Pixel saying how even if 1 person plays his game and likes it, he will be satisfied.
---
I have never thought about that as deeply until you stated that, and you are completely correct. I'm gonna be replaying and maybe when he says it it'll finally sink in that that quote is deeper than it looks. c:
---

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Resize your sig a bit, beautiful, it's too large.

To answer the question... Is somewhat difficult. I guess the actual gameplay itself + physics + the other aspects linked in to all of that are the aspects I can appreciate/admire the most. I found the actual platforming element much more fun and rewarding than other platforming games I've played, and I enjoyed the weapon system. The idea of "leveling" a weapon up/risking downleveling if hit is a fairly unique reward/incentive system. Oh yeah, and I enjoyed almost all of the boss fights, so I don't mind doing a boss rush every now and then.

On a more personal/subjective level, the characters and story. I'm really itching for a prequel and/or sequel to introduce some new characters as well as expanding on the ones we've already seen. I'm really not too keen on the possible sequel having an entirely new cast and I hope that's not the direction it'll take, even though I'd play the hell out of it anyway.

But that's just me. I've traditionally been into heavily story-based games with complex character-driven plots, so when I see potential for development in that field, it's like an itch I can't quite scratch. I do think Cave Story, by it's nature, runs the risk of possibly being too bogged down with story/dialog, but it could have reached a bit further and there was potential to convey a narrative in ways other than just dialog. *

Ranty.

* Edit: To stipulate, I spent a lot of my time in Cave Story trying to interact with objects to see if they'd tell me anything. Basically, provide some narrative and contribute to my understanding/appreciation of the setting. For example, in Baten Kaitos, exploring the scenery on different continents will show you the differences in culture between one nation and another down to some quite fine details. In Golden Sun, I remember you being able to peer into villager's ovens and receiving commentary on the regional cuisine of each area. That sort of... flavor text, I guess, adds a whole new layer to a game for me.

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:50 PM
I think it has a deep of a story as the gameplay and the graphical level of the game allow, it becomes hard to get an incredibly deep story when your character can barely walk in it's given framerect.

So I went back and played some cave story the other day, and I realized I really liked the use of backgrounds. Since some pan on a different level than the foreground, or not at all, or move in layers, the entire game feels varied in size, whether or not it actually is. I imagine that the lack of something as simple as this could lead the game to feel a little repetitive, try setting all backgrounds to stationary and give it a shot D:

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:05 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I liked the retro graphics and lack of bugs.

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:30 PM
I think it has a deep of a story as the gameplay and the graphical level of the game allow, it becomes hard to get an incredibly deep story when your character can barely walk in it's given framerect.

So I went back and played some cave story the other day, and I realized I really liked the use of backgrounds. Since some pan on a different level than the foreground, or not at all, or move in layers, the entire game feels varied in size, whether or not it actually is. I imagine that the lack of something as simple as this could lead the game to feel a little repetitive, try setting all backgrounds to stationary and give it a shot D:

To stipulate, I wouldn't hold Cave Story to the same standard as a 40~60 hour RPG in that arena. It's an unfair comparison to make between games that are fundamentally different. And it's not really depth I'm discussing either (unless I'm misreading what you mean by depth).

Like I said -- but being careful to be clear this time -- I got so interested in the story and characters that I want to know more. I wish I was given more. I will settle for more in a prequel/sequel format. :mahin: It's a purely subjective thought and nothing more.

Although now that I think on it I kinda wish that the Wind Fortress leg made it into the final game. That was a segment of story that was cut.

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:51 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Although now that I think on it I kinda wish that the Wind Fortress leg made it into the final game. That was a segment of story that was cut.
From my understanding, hell was originally supposed to be the wind fortress level, a final super tough level before the boss. It's why the balcony tileset and the hell tilesets are so similar. But eventually that maybe got cut or scrapped in favor of making hell it's own hidden level.

The current wind fortress as far as I can tell was just an excuse to use that song in a bonus level.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:09 PM
From my understanding, hell was originally supposed to be the wind fortress level, a final super tough level before the boss. It's why the balcony tileset and the hell tilesets are so similar. But eventually that maybe got cut or scrapped in favor of making hell it's own hidden level.

The current wind fortress as far as I can tell was just an excuse to use that song in a bonus level.

What baffles me is how Wind Fortress was cut from the main game because the plot of that arc was "too dark".

Yes, Pixel, because a robot dying after 100 evil clones of her are made is really darker than someone's younger brother being sealed away for at least a millennium after enduring horrendous torture and killing his own family and wiping out an entire kingdom.

I do not get that guy.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
.w.

Attachments

• daisuke.png
    daisuke.png
    245.4 KB · Views: 7
Aug 23, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
What baffles me is how Wind Fortress was cut from the main game because the plot of that arc was "too dark".

I never heard that. Any proof to back up that statement o: ?

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:15 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Resize your sig a bit, beautiful, it's too large.

To answer the question... Is somewhat difficult. I guess the actual gameplay itself + physics + the other aspects linked in to all of that are the aspects I can appreciate/admire the most. I found the actual platforming element much more fun and rewarding than other platforming games I've played, and I enjoyed the weapon system. The idea of "leveling" a weapon up/risking downleveling if hit is a fairly unique reward/incentive system. Oh yeah, and I enjoyed almost all of the boss fights, so I don't mind doing a boss rush every now and then.

On a more personal/subjective level, the characters and story. I'm really itching for a prequel and/or sequel to introduce some new characters as well as expanding on the ones we've already seen. I'm really not too keen on the possible sequel having an entirely new cast and I hope that's not the direction it'll take, even though I'd play the hell out of it anyway.

But that's just me. I've traditionally been into heavily story-based games with complex character-driven plots, so when I see potential for development in that field, it's like an itch I can't quite scratch. I do think Cave Story, by it's nature, runs the risk of possibly being too bogged down with story/dialog, but it could have reached a bit further and there was potential to convey a narrative in ways other than just dialog. *

Ranty.

* Edit: To stipulate, I spent a lot of my time in Cave Story trying to interact with objects to see if they'd tell me anything. Basically, provide some narrative and contribute to my understanding/appreciation of the setting. For example, in Baten Kaitos, exploring the scenery on different continents will show you the differences in culture between one nation and another down to some quite fine details. In Golden Sun, I remember you being able to peer into villager's ovens and receiving commentary on the regional cuisine of each area. That sort of... flavor text, I guess, adds a whole new layer to a game for me.
---
Firstly, thanks for alerting me about that. I was afk so I didn't get it right away. I greatly appreciate it. :3

I like how you stated your likes and small dislikes, it's hard to like just ONE thing about a game, especially Cave Story, because with so much to do and me, personally, not playing the games it was based off of, found it to be extremely amazing and a real piece of art. Imagine my disappointment when the 3D version (although still really good) wasn't up to par with the original, and even though it gives you the option to play in 'Classic Mode', it doesn't really serve the justice.

What I personally like about the game is the work Pixel put into it. It took me to play games like Ikachan and Akarashi to realize that his work is cute and the music is quite unique, very very good. The plot seemed well thought out to me and unlike other freeware games he took the time he had to make a great and finished game. That's why Cave Story is always one of my personal favorites. :3
---
---
In a press conference maybe?

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:30 AM

Pretty much what BhadRebelle said.

I spent a good hour looking through the interviews and couldn't find any info relating to Wind Fortress other than the fact that it was planned for the beta and brought back as an extra for +. I might look again later if I have the energy. The Cave Story wiki says quite a bit on the subject but with no citations, which is extremely annoying.

While we're on the subject, Cave Story wiki needs a really thorough clean sometime.

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:03 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I recently purchased 'Cave Story: 3D' and although I liked it, I feel the remixes and the new sprite design took away from the original Cave Story charm. Pixel's work is always cute and the music is always pleasant, but the 3D version seemed to be a downgrade. :(
The character models and minor bugs were a downgrade but the new item and weapon icons, the upgraded facepics, the 3d environments (if you take your eyes away from the action long enough to look at the backgrounds to see what I mean), the slightly upgraded difficulty, new areas, and new items to find gave cave story a new lease of life for me. Plus I like what they did with the remixes personally. It's not perfect, you lose something to gain something, but it's a fresh take on CS that I find worthy of my time.

So what do you think makes Cave Story the great game it is? The music, sprites, graphics, plot, etc.
Metroidvania gameplay and RPG-style story progression.

I spent a good hour looking through the interviews and couldn't find any info relating to Wind Fortress other than the fact that it was planned for the beta and brought back as an extra for +. I might look again later if I have the energy. The Cave Story wiki says quite a bit on the subject but with no citations, which is extremely annoying.
The wind fortress track was made for the beta, this is fact. Not sure about the level itself though. The info might be in Nicalis' old blog which is now very much lost to time.