What determines the effect of the Red Flowers?

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:09 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
1) Weather
Proof: Many plants have higher concentration of psychoactive substances if the weather is warm. For e.g. industrial hemp prooves higher concentrations of delta-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) on gas-cromatography if the weather is warm (that`s why it is banned in many countries). This was my experiment two years ago, so I know for sure...
2) Absorption - it`s geneticly determined or based on what the Mimiga ate besides the red flowers (something that accelerates or decelerates absorption.
Proof: E.g. humans: the effect of alcohol on resorption
3) The distribution of the psychoactive supstance (influenced by the ammount of body fat for example)
Proof: Body fat may be a reservoir of liposolubile psychoactive substances (like benzodiazepines in humans), because red flowers may have also liposolubile psych. act. substances e.g. in a form of vegetable oil or ether.
4) Individual difference in metabolism of psychoactive substances- mainly due to liver enzymes
Proof: If mimigas are similar to humans this is true. E.g. Some people are less tolerant to alcohol because they have less alcohol dehydrogenase.
5) Individual differences in excretion rate.
6) Genetics and age (babies not have enough of certain enzymes like glucuronil-transferazes (e.g.this is why some babies have a harmless icterus at birth) and will be more severely (and faster - like Toroko!) effected. They might not have a developed haemato-encephalic barrier (similar to human babies), and will probably more severely affected. While the older mimigas, like humans, certainly have a slower methabolism).
7) Prior psychical or intellectual status difference has an effect maybe? I have red something like that is MAYBE somewhat important too... I have no proof here.
8) Other stuff like...
Is the whole flower consumed with it`s leaves and such? How it is prepared?- consumed raw, as a tea maybe (if it IS a tea is it a so called infuse or not?), etc...maybe Mimigas prepare it differently. How much is consumed? The Mimigas who use some drugs, eat junk food their liver enzymes are likely more induced will react on red flowers somewhat differently.

Ok, I am a little embarassed writing this list... and it`s already long enough so I will not continue adding more medical arguments...

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:03 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
SCIENCE, BITCH.
This helps us understand Toroko's reaction, but we don't see anyone else in the game actually eating the flowers, which is why they're assumed to have a long-lasting effect, i.e. longer than real drugs.
Oh, and red flowers are ingested by eating the petals.

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:18 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Captain Fabulous said:
Red flowers are ingested by eating the petals.
Says who? I mean, they're always the only thing not eaten.

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:26 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
thecrown said:
Says who? I mean, they're always the only thing not eaten.

That, is a good point. Perhaps they only need a small dose, go completely insane, rip the flower to shreds then bust out of wherever they are?

EDIT: Maybe the age of the flowers effect how potent the chemical is?

Jan 30, 2010 at 6:16 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
trickybilly said:
1) Weather
Proof: Many plants have higher concentration of psychoactive substances if the weather is warm. For e.g. industrial hemp prooves higher concentrations of delta-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) on gas-cromatography if the weather is warm (that`s why it is banned in many countries). This was my experiment two years ago, so I know for sure...
2) Absorption - it`s geneticly determined or based on what the Mimiga ate besides the red flowers (something that accelerates or decelerates absorption.
Proof: E.g. humans: the effect of alcohol on resorption
3) The distribution of the psychoactive supstance (influenced by the ammount of body fat for example)
Proof: Body fat may be a reservoir of liposolubile psychoactive substances (like benzodiazepines in humans), because red flowers may have also liposolubile psych. act. substances e.g. in a form of vegetable oil or ether.
4) Individual difference in metabolism of psychoactive substances- mainly due to liver enzymes
Proof: If mimigas are similar to humans this is true. E.g. Some people are less tolerant to alcohol because they have less alcohol dehydrogenase.
5) Individual differences in excretion rate.
6) Genetics and age (babies not have enough of certain enzymes like glucuronil-transferazes (e.g.this is why some babies have a harmless icterus at birth) and will be more severely (and faster - like Toroko!) effected. They might not have a developed haemato-encephalic barrier (similar to human babies), and will probably more severely affected. While the older mimigas, like humans, certainly have a slower methabolism).
7) Prior psychical or intellectual status difference has an effect maybe? I have red something like that is MAYBE somewhat important too... I have no proof here.
8) Other stuff like...
Is the whole flower consumed with it`s leaves and such? How it is prepared?- consumed raw, as a tea maybe (if it IS a tea is it a so called infuse or not?), etc...maybe Mimigas prepare it differently. How much is consumed? The Mimigas who use some drugs, eat junk food their liver enzymes are likely more induced will react on red flowers somewhat differently.

Ok, I am a little embarassed writing this list... and it`s already long enough so I will not continue adding more medical arguments...

Red flower tea. Yum! :D

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:58 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Haha, might be tasty. Could cooking it possibly nullify it's effects? Like destroy the nutrients or something.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:03 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
trickybilly said:
So then Mahin must need a lot of red flowers to be affected X3

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:52 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
He would absorb it easily, but whatever's in the red flowers would be diluted so the effects may be negligible.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:20 AM
A thought occured to me during science class, how do the flowers gain sustenance, they seem to be an odd addition to a cave, (even if they are magical)
are they maybe related to fungi or something that doesn't require sunlight?

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:20 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Nameisnotname said:
A thought occured to me during science class, how do the flowers gain sustenance, they seem to be an odd addition to a cave, (even if they are magical)
are they maybe related to fungi or something that doesn't require sunlight?

We've already had this discussion. Please lurk.

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM
"..."
Hmm.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
I forgot where, but we did some estimations off of body size and heart beats or something, but we don't actually know how long they live.
But Flowers increasing the lifespan could be another trait to chalk up to the chart.
Not that we can really prove it with hard evidence, but

(tagging a few questions at once)Did anyone remember, on this subject of longevity, when the mimiga on the farm mentioned something about this? Kinda goes along the lines of:

"Red flowers, though, are bad news. They say if you EAT one, your blood begins to boil, and soon you'll fall over, dead! Glad none of those flowers grow here." Longevity, I don't really think so. Given, the effects could have been tweaked as to make the mimiga not eat them...but perhaps by "falling over dead" they mean "Fall over, get up, and be brain dead, other than the most stamped in tasks in your mind."

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:26 PM
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: Hmm.

Sandaime most likely was misinformed about the effects of red flowers, or he was keeping the actual effects a secret from Quote for some reason. Maybe the Mimigas are trying hard to forget the Red Flower War ever happened.

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:41 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
They're like shrooms.

Some people are affected by them more than other people.