Well who needs Help or just want to talk?

Oct 23, 2006 at 7:50 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Thats my ICQ number: 333-426-564
If u have AIM or ICQ or anything other you could message me... I could Help, or just talk about Mods e.t.c. :D
But I would say I can't help at all things:

I'am good/bad at:
Mapping +++++
Recource Hacking +++++
Scripting ++++~
Hex-Edit (NPC TBL and so on...) ++++~
Beta Testing +++~~
Drawing ++~~~
Assembly +~~~~

Recource Hacking is a very easy Part!
Scripting is also very easy.
Hex Edit is Ezy but I'am a little bit lame...
Beta Testing hm... I'am not the best Person for it, but I'am often bored off, well... So I could Test the whole day XD
Oh well making new Images is very hard for me... I can make easy graphics fast and I can also "Recolour" Sprites, but I'am not good at making Details.
My Assembly is worse, but I knew sum trickz :D

So if ya want help or somthin just add me ;)

Oct 24, 2006 at 6:06 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I think that's what the "post new thread" button is for. ;)

Well... if you're bored and looking for a challenge, how about putting your assembly knowhow to the test and seeing by how much you can reduce the code usage in some functions? There's a VERY obvious optimization that can free up massive amounts of space in many places - especially entities, weapon objects, weapon code, items, and such. Think you can spot it? ;)

Here's a hint: CS is compiled from C++. Therefore the compiler is in charge of producing the code - code which should be very general-purpose and as litteral as possible (in relation to the actual C++ code being used.) So chances are you'll run into many cases which end up being constrained by the C++ syntax. Namely variable use.

Good luck - it's a damned good exercise in learning assembly, and essential (if not vital) to writing your own hacks!

Oct 25, 2006 at 1:08 AM
roborob
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
all right I have a request: A Very basic guide on editing cave story sprites and getting them to work ingame. I have paint and XVI32 hex-editor

I mean REALLY BASiC

example:

1- open the .pbm file you want to edit in paint, we will be using MyChar.pbm

2- make the changes you want

3-save it

4- Run the game! and see your new sprite ;)

That would be EXTREMLEY helpfull to me, and probably many others

(i know that that's not how it works)

Oct 25, 2006 at 5:14 AM
Hoxtilicious
This is REALLY OLD COFFEE!
This was explained onehundred and one times, ure again talkin about old themes...
Hell, don't post for every old shit in the forum! Contact me! Anyway I'am not to be keen on writing Manuals onehundred and one times! HECK, is it that hard to add a NUMBER in AIM or ICQ?? Just Install it!

However here is it:
IView won't Work on Windows XP...
You should Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT or ME anyway

First of all if you really want to do this LIKE I'VE DONE Download first:

IVIEW
PhotoFiltre (German Site - Try to find the "DOWNLOAD" Button)
XVI32

To do it with Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT or ME:

1. Search for a NPC, Tileset e.t.c. you want to replace, draw Image/s for that and save the bitmap file as 24BIT but START A NEW BITMAP FILE or make the old one a 24BIT file.

2. Open it with IView and look at INFORMATION how many Colours it have.

3. Open it in PhotoFiltre and Convert it to:
16 or 16> Colours = 16 Colours
256 or 256> Colours = 256 Colours
More than 256 Colours = 24BIT

4. Rename the file to PBM.

5. You did something wrong and going to post here but u should add me instand cuz i wouldn't answer here anymore :p

To do it with Windows XP:

1. Search for a NPC, Tileset e.t.c. you want to replace, draw Image/s for that and save the bitmap file as 24BIT but START A NEW BITMAP FILE or make the old one a 24BIT file.

2. Get yourself a Tool who is counting the colours and works for XP ;)

3. Open it in PhotoFiltre and Convert it to:
16 or 16> Colours = 16 Colours
256 or 256> Colours = 256 Colours
More than 256 Colours = 24BIT

4. Rename the file to PBM.

5. You are not finding a programm for XP and going to post here but u should add me instand cuz i wouldn't answer here anymore :o

You see what all Point 5 mean? ;D
Well, SeriousFace added me too and I helped him...
That was the LAST TIME I was going to answer a old Quest! Contact me or hope for other User's they are going to post... (Well maybe they wouldn't cuz I already volunteered. ;)

Oct 25, 2006 at 3:01 PM
The Bartender
Cave Story loads up its sprites as regular bitmaps. However Pixel introduces a little safeguard against these things being editted by adding a bit of text at the end of the file. So...

1- Open the image as a regular bitmap with any editor. You might have to rename it to (name here).bmp to get it to work. Paintshop Pro 7, for instance, will attempt to open it as aother format if it doesn't have the .bmp extension.
2- Edit. You can make it any depth (16 colors, 256 colors, 24bpp...) Just because the file is in, say, 16 colors it doesn't mean you're limited to that.
3- Save your image. Make sure you rename it to .pbm instead of keeping the .bmp extension, if you changed it. It has to keep the same name it had before.
4- The slightly more complex part. Open the file with a hex editor (any will do - a hex editor is a hex editor...) and go all the way to the end. Add the following, WITHOUT the quotes.

"(C)Pixel"

Do not change anything else. Save. The file should be 8 bytes bigger than when it was a bitmap, if you did this right. Capitalization is important - it has to be the EXACT same thing. You can open another pbm with your hex editor for an example if you're not sure.

If you did it right, your changes will show up in CS. Make sure to keep backups, of course.

If you want to resize things or change which frames are displayed, that'll take some assembly - something that a step by step guide cannot cover because, well, it's a little more complex than that. ;)

Good luck!

Oct 25, 2006 at 10:06 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Quick Question: How do you add an image to the title screen, as in a back image?

Oct 25, 2006 at 10:09 PM
The Bartender
You'll need to write an assembly hack that adds it.

What I did in my hack was add the image to the titlescreen pbm. Then I added a new entry to the list of graphics to render by allocating 16 more bytes on the stack and pushing the RECT containing my image.

If this sounds a little too esotheric and weird to you, you might want to start by working on easier aspects of your hack first. It's, regretfully, not a simple task. ;)

Edit: I was in a bit of a hurry when I wrote this, lemme give you a few more details...

The way interfaces render in CS is simple enough. First it sets up the stack so as to contain 4 integer values (32 bit integers, that is) representing a RECT structure (left, top, right, bottom) used to identify regions to copy from. Then it makes calls to a function which takes a few parameters (can't quite remember them offhand, but I think it's a RECT defining the rgion in which to render, a RECT around the region to copy from, a graphic file ID, and a position to render to.)

To add a background, you would have to add an entry in the stack's RECT list (allocating an extra 16 bytes - an easily forgotten bug-causer!) Then a call to the blitter function must be added with parameters indicating that you plan on using the new RECT you've pushed on the stack (which will represent your background image in, say, the titlescreen pbm file.)

The easiest way to do this is to find a bit of free space and make a CALL into it, moving a few calls to the blitter in there. Your new one included.

On the off-chance you have some experience with assembly, I hope this helps. If this is gibberish to you, don't worry about it.

Oct 28, 2006 at 1:37 AM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
This is quite a newbie question, but where's the latest version of Sue's workyshop? I'm of a mind that it's tile-placing system is bettar than the older one that I use.

Oct 28, 2006 at 2:16 AM
Hoxtilicious
Ver.0.2. is the newest! this seems to be a help thread now, but someone added me in ICQ and asked me all these questions like "Where I get TSC?" "How to use it?" ;) Well, I helped him, I hope more to come...

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:08 PM
The Bartender
Why not have people ask these things on the boards where everyone can answer in the event someone doesn't have the answer instead of on an IM client where only one person can answer their questions? Seems like it'd be a lot more convinient...

Or are you just bored and looking for someone to discuss hacking with? :p

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:46 PM
Weeheee!

I'am good/bad at:
Drawing +++++
Mapping +++++
Scripting +++++
Beta Testing ++++~
Hex-Edit (NPC TBL and so on...)+++~~
Recource Hacking ++~~~
Assembly +~~~~

I can do sprite sheets, script dialog, make maps, I sturggle with resource hacking and Hex Editing though.

Oct 30, 2006 at 9:02 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Well, I could do with some help with a few entities. Could someone take any old npc.tbl file, and reduce the damage of Twin Dragon flames to 4, and the bubbles which Gunfish shoot to 2?

It'd really help.

Oct 31, 2006 at 1:21 AM
"..."
I AM ORG MASTER

And too busy dealing with ORGasm as well as highschool and college affairs to help anyone beyond a few informational posts. :p

Oct 31, 2006 at 4:51 AM
Hoxtilicious
RuneLancer said:
Why not have people ask these things on the boards where everyone can answer in the event someone doesn't have the answer instead of on an IM client where only one person can answer their questions? Seems like it'd be a lot more convinient...

Or are you just bored and looking for someone to discuss hacking with? :p

Well also that. But, this is a help thread now. But there shouldn't be any question like "Where I can get TSC" "How to learn Hacking" Here, because they were answered 10000000000000000...00000000000000000 times... :p Do ya really thing if a newbie comes and this thread is already on site 14 he/she is going to read all this stuff to see that this question is already answered on site 8? Well, also I think and I hope that I'am a good teacher. For the more harder questions ask here but ONCE. If u don't understand u can ask again but NOT again and again and again and again and *yawn*... Because this can be surely answered by a single person otherwise it would be flooding/spamming. I love to help but we shouldn't have 200 "How to edit Images?" Threads for example. Thats what I think rune nothing more nothing less :p

Edit: Uhhh u know someone to discuss with? :p lolz Well I love to help so I wanna help newbies to become hackers... I already searched in the Internet for new members, I converted ORG's, I'am going to translate this ORGVIEWER and well I already helped some people with starting hacking :D by the way It's nice that ure guys aren't dead and still posting :p...
Almost I hate to upload files all the time it's enough that I upload ORGS my MOD and this other stuff all the time. With ICQ or AIM u can send them quickly :o

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:45 AM
"..."
u startz with mspain only real good pplz use mspaint lol

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:36 PM
Hoxtilicious
lolz iam uzing paintz

Nov 16, 2006 at 3:52 PM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I use no pants. I know NOTHING about how to make a mod (ShInInG was learning me and my brain was about to explode of the confusing). But seriously people, is there a guide file to download from the net which helps you about how to mod?

Nov 16, 2006 at 4:43 PM
The Bartender
There's no magical guide to hacking. It varies from game to game, from project to project. There are a few things you can learn to make your job easier though.

- Knowing hex and binary (mainly hex) is extremely useful. Especially if you plan on doing some work of your own without an editor.

- Having some dev experience helps. If you get lost using, of all things, an editor, you really need help. Unless it's a horribly-designed editor or a very, very complex one.

- You DON'T need to learn assembly. But it helps, and you'll never accomplish any ground-breaking hacks without it. If you just want to have your own storyline, then an editor is more than enough really...

- It depends 100% on what you want to do. A graphic hack is completely different from a text/story mod. And since every game implants these things differently, you probably can't use the same techniques you used in one game for another game.

It's largely a matter of experience and trial and error.

Nov 16, 2006 at 8:34 PM
Ok, I asked you these in the other topic, but you never replied rune, so:

-by ROM, do you mean where it has all those 000000 bits, if so is that freed up when I delete maps? I delete all of them when I start a game from scratch.

-The EXP table is the same for each weapon (Except for Alucard, he gets a double length EXP table :D) so would I just need two tables, give them an ID and use it as [XPTblID][WpnID][Level] for it, so if I used Richard, and he had the Blade level 5 it would be Richard[Blade][5] or something like that?

-Id probably start off with attempting to remove the EXP drop, then adding another 3, then another 3. That would give me 9 levels, 3 levels till the gun bullet changes.

-Where exactly is the existing weapon code, and which Hex editor is best for the job. I use Hexplorer but I think something else might be better.