We gotta Vary Shit Up

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
That doesn't matter. You...
???
No seriously. You can use flags to "fake" two save files. Use the first half of the flags for one character, and use the second half for the second character. When the player wants to erase a save file, make them do it IN THE GAME, where they can erase half the flags instead of deleting the entire Profile.dat.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
That doesn't matter. You...
???
No seriously. You can use flags to "fake" two save files. Use the first half of the flags for one character, and use the second half for the second character. When the player wants to erase a save file, make them do it IN THE GAME, where they can erase half the flags instead of deleting the entire Profile.dat.
It matters since it invalidates your claim that RuneLancer did it without assembly hacking, so he is no longer a good example for your list of games that change characters without hacking.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Not anymore
Fine, then he's invalidated. But Xaser still did it.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Carrotlord said:
This is wrong. Completely wrong.
You can easily do this without assembly hacking.
Xaser already did this. Without assembly hacking at all.
Runelancer already did this. Without assembly hacking that part of the game.
I did this in my second mod. Without assembly hacking that part of the game.

You just have to use the Mimiga mask. You can put on the Mimiga mask and take it off using TSC. You don't need the item in your inventory.
The Mimiga mask is not actually a mask. You can change the character's appearance into something completely different.

Do you see why this is possible without assembly?
Now go ahead and make a cool mod.
Knowing this will make my job trying to make my idea for a mod a whole lot easier. And thanks for the inspiration.
Dunc2403 said:
Rune lancer used assembly hacking to be able to choose between two save files.
This is basically what I wanted to do. If you chose one person, (new game) you'd play through with that one person. But to play as the other person, you'd have to use the pre-made/pre-included save. Or I could just ask near the beginning of the game and use the Mimiga mask TSC. Also with the ability to make the mask not a mask would help immensely. (Would have to do some sprite work, but I'm willing to do it.)

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Mhm, the way Runelancer did it is he essentially got rid of the New function in the menu and replaced it with a load function for the other character. I'd suggest talking to him about it, but it's doable. And carrot, Xaser didn't do it. Xaser just had one part where you play as another character.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
An idea for varied gameplay :

TSC a bridge over a spike trap underneath the room.
In order to keep the bridge from breaking down too much and falling into the spikes, you have to kill all the monsters that appear maybe before they land?

Maybe some kind of galaga, or paratrooper mini-game. Though you could expand on it, adding story between stages.

Another idea :

Some kind of falling game. Basically give yourself airtank, and change all the graphics. Use water to slow fall, and spots with no water for speed boosts [or even wind].
If you can real-time take away the airtank, then you can TSC some kind of checkpoint system that gives you your airtank back until whatever condition you choose.

Maybe some kind of ski game, or racing game. Though you are constantly moving down. You could probably mess with the camera as you are falling to give heads up to dangerous obstacles and stuff like that.

One more idea :

Capture the Mimiga game. You play as Balrog, and you run around collecting Mimigas. You could probably do the frog changing scene and replace the frog graphic with a Balrog that fits the Quote sprite size. Or change him into anything you want lol

Limitless ideas, but who will implement @_@
I suppose if a driven individual hosted community projects and was able to get people to work on projects...

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Not anymore
Are you sure that Runelancer didn't just change one jump instruction and edited the text string for the save file?
That's the simplest way to do it.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Not anymore
Well we could probably figure it out using the power of (Ollie :J)

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:05 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
X-Calibar said:
An idea for varied gameplay :

TSC a bridge over a spike trap underneath the room.
In order to keep the bridge from breaking down too much and falling into the spikes, you have to kill all the monsters that appear maybe before they land?

Maybe some kind of galaga, or paratrooper mini-game. Though you could expand on it, adding story between stages.

Another idea :

Some kind of falling game. Basically give yourself airtank, and change all the graphics. Use water to slow fall, and spots with no water for speed boosts [or even wind].
If you can real-time take away the airtank, then you can TSC some kind of checkpoint system that gives you your airtank back until whatever condition you choose.

Maybe some kind of ski game, or racing game. Though you are constantly moving down. You could probably mess with the camera as you are falling to give heads up to dangerous obstacles and stuff like that.

One more idea :

Capture the Mimiga game. You play as Balrog, and you run around collecting Mimigas. You could probably do the frog changing scene and replace the frog graphic with a Balrog that fits the Quote sprite size. Or change him into anything you want lol

Limitless ideas, but who will implement @_@
I suppose if a driven individual hosted community projects and was able to get people to work on projects...
Sorry, clutter from some other sorta non related thing caused me not to see this. I think those are someinteresting minimod ideas. It would be neat to see a ew implemented. Also I don't think anyones gonna host a community project again, and if so not for anything too worthwhile.

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:20 AM
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
You know, I find it incredibly weird there aren't more hell mods. You'd think those would be all the rage; give the player set weapons and items and a clear A-to-B plot of "Kill (Ballos) (with or without falling blocks in the room)". Kind of easy to make too, since you don't need any serious events beyond doors and boss loaders.

I honestly expected at least a thousand of them by now. In fact, if you wanted you COULD give it a plot, but make the plot back-seat to the gameplay. Give the player the ability to even shut off the plot, so we don't have to listen to some dude with red eyes and some girl with blue eyes yammer back and forth about their gunjutsu ninja style.

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:22 AM
Professional Whatever
Do you really want that though
Showcase FLOODED with hell mods
Sounds like hell to me

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:28 AM
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I'd rather mods showcasing the ability to mod than mods showcasing the ability to write.

Lord knows we don't need another Eternal Chaos mod showcasing what appears to be a decent story but in reality is just walking back and forth while the world collapses around you for no reason. Come to think of it, "No reason" would have actually been BETTER than the actual reason.

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Professional Whatever
Gameplay isn't just a substitution for story, though. You need both for a good game.
Unless you're a hypocrite like me whose mod doesn't even have a PC GUI

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Shine gangs don't need story as much as context, see another Castle. It does however seriously affect your end opinion on the game when it's completely devoid of story and shouts "Look at me! I'm a video game! Here's some jumps!" The effect of a story, even a simple one, is that it gives you a secondary reason to play the game, other than how fun it is. I actually should write a giant thing on this, cause it is a bit of an argument. Give me awhile.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Not anymore
Hell mods are wonderful when they come at the "end" of a real mod as a bonus section.

However, when hell mods are just hell mods, then there are just too many of them that exist nowadays.

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:15 AM
/end
ZarroTsu said:
Lord knows we don't need another Eternal Chaos mod showcasing what appears to be a decent story but in reality is just walking back and forth while the world collapses around you for no reason. Come to think of it, "No reason" would have actually been BETTER than the actual reason.
Eternal Chaos may have had an atrocious storyline and a Nintendo-like fake difficulty deal going on but it did show your ability to mod, quite well in fact I think.

Hell, some of the finished mods we have don't show as good level design as yours did.

But, with games like that an option to turn off the story and just blast stuff sounds enjoyable.