Water Story

Apr 30, 2009 at 11:09 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey guys! Its the new guy here, and I've started making a mod with Sue's Workshop. It is basically the same plot as the original Cave Story, but this time the Doctor has flooded down heaps of places, making it harder for Quote to get around.

Here are some screenshots:
p64495-0-screenshottwo.png

p64495-1-screenshotone.png

p64495-2-screenshotthree.png
(As you can see, this is the latest screenshot because of the map change to make it look better)

The demo isn't actually ready yet, sorry.

As you can see, Mimiga Village has been flooded down, the actual reason I haven't yet released a demo is because I need to fix a few glitches and at least get it done up to the Sand Zone.

I'm open to help, since I'm new to modding. Thanks.

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:04 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This looks like a really sweet concept. What do you need help with?

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:08 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
DoubleThink said:
This looks like a really sweet concept. What do you need help with?
Well, this is a bit of a newbie question, but hey: I'll need to learn eventually.

How do I have Life Capsules with Sue's Workshop, and can I set how much Health is put up by it?

An answer is appreciated lots, thanks for offering to help! ^^

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:14 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
To add in items like Life Capsules and Save Points go to the 'event' painter, which should be the chest icon. Life Capsule should be in the basic tab, use the single red cross to paint one then link it to an event in your script. For the script I suggest copy and pasting one from elsewhere until you know how to write them well yourself, and you can edit how much life it gives you in the script.

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:16 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Zephryl said:
To add in items like Life Capsules and Save Points go to the 'event' painter, which should be the chest icon. Life Capsule should be in the basic tab, use the single red cross to paint one then link it to an event in your script. For the script I suggest copy and pasting one from elsewhere until you know how to write them well yourself, and you can edit how much life it gives you in the script.

Thanks a bunch! :)
I owe you one, I'll get onto that later, I wanted to know so I could make some more hidden even. ;D

Thanks for your help.

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:20 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This is an example Life Capsule script:

<PRI<FL+0101<SOU0022<DNP0400<CMU0016
<MSG<GIT1006Got a =Life Capsule=!<WAI0160<NOD<RMU<ML+0003
Max health increased by 3!<NOD<END

Entity/Sprite No. 32 is the Life Capsule. The <ML+ function is what increases health, by the corresponding amount. The entity is given the property "Invisible if Flag is set", and in this case, the Flag ID of the item is 101, so setting the flag with <FL+0101 makes it invisible permanently unless unset. Then, <DNP (In this case, the associated event is #0400) deletes the enemy until the game is reset (I think); these things combined stop the capsule from working endlessly (I think). <GIT shows the capsule graphic.

The TSC script guide is here, if you didn't know.

EDIT: Thanks a bunch :/

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:21 PM
<3 No problem~ I was at this stage about a month ago x3 You can link other things to the Life Event as well so if you want something more hidden, or invisible even it's easy enough to do.

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:31 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh, lawl, you made DoubleThink sad. xD
Thanks for your extra info too, DT! ^^
I'll go see if I can get it now, very much appreciated.
EDIT: D: I didn't work, I'm pretty sure I must have missed something. :/

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:46 PM
Make sure to check the box 'Make event an action' otherwise the game doesn't know to react to a button press <3

Edit: And Doublethinks explanation was a lot better than mine anyway xD

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Grr, this is frustrating, I tried what you guys said, but the Life Capsule isn't appearing at all, and the life capsule keeps changing its flag to '6000', whatever that means.

I'm quite confused. You guys are explaining it good, don't take me wrong, it is just that I am new to coding and everything. >_>

I hope I get some help by tomorrow morning, since it is 10:10pm here.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:02 PM
Hrm.... here a few things to test.

Make sure the Life Capsule is set to the right event in the script
Make sure the script number has a # then 4 numbers (You don't use 4 on the Life Capsule. For example if the script had '#0100' then the Life Capsule would be event '100')
Make sure only 'make event an action' and 'make invisible if flag is set' are checked.

If none of those work then you could try it without the flags, I know the few times I've tried to use flags it hasn't gone well.

May 2, 2009 at 1:48 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
let me guess...it has water.

May 2, 2009 at 6:55 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Sorry I've been gone for a while, I just fixed up the Life Capsule problem. Now I'm going to add a sidequest to get an extra life capsule. It involes defeating enemies underwater.

@whyme: Nope. :(
EDIT: Hmm. HELP! D:
1. I am trying to make a door to get from Mimiga Village over to a new map I made named Arena, I tried making a door to it, but I couldn't get it right. Arena is map 95 and Mimiga Village is map 11 if that helps. What do I do to get the two maps to connect to eachother with a door?
2. How do I make blocks appear/disappear after doing a certain thing in a room like defeating all the enemies?
3. Do you think fighting three Zombie Dragons (plus normal enemies in other bits) is worth getting a Life Capsule that gives you three HP?

May 2, 2009 at 9:27 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Firstly.
I'm rather rusty with my TSC since it's been a long time since I last played... But anyway

#AAAA
<FAO000B<TRAZZZZ:XXXX:YYYY:WWWW

A = event number
B = Fade out number (0001 - 0004)
Z = Map number
X = Player designated coordinates on the X axis
Y = Player designated coordinates on the Y axis
W = Event that will be played upon transfer (Usually a map load)

Secondly.
Make a H/V trigger that the player will definitely be unable to miss. Then have it do a <CMP.

or after you defeat a boss... Make the post-boss event do the <CMP.

Lastly.
Three Zombie Dragons? Pretty worth it. They're rather easy (Provided I have a level 3 Polar Star by then).

May 2, 2009 at 10:14 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
@First Question: I put all that you said, but when I try to open the door, I use the life capsule near it and if I try again, it just keeps using the life capsule when it has already disappeared.

Script for Life Capsule and door:
<PRI<FL+0101<SOU0022<DNP9052<CMU0016
<MSG<GIT1006Got a =Life Capsule=!<WAI0160<NOD<RMU<ML+0001
Max health increased by 1!<NOD<END

<FAO0003<TRA0095:0010:0010:0000

I didn't really understand the last three things in the door script thing, but I think they're okay. I dunno really.

I just gave them 0765 and 9052 as the event numbers for something random. Does that make a difference? (No other thing in the script has either 0765 or 9052 as their script numbers, btw.)

@Second question: Okay, thanks for your help there. :(

@Last question: You must be pretty damn good to do that. (You can fight those Zombie Dragons as soon as you get to Mimiga Village) I'll need to make my mod harder then). =D
Also, there will be spikes in the room, though not insta-death ones.

May 2, 2009 at 11:25 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
For question 1, it sounds like you've set the door's event # to the Life Capsule event, #9052. Are you sure the door's event # reads #0765 (The map transfer event) in SW?

Since you're using <FAO000# in the door's event script, however, Map 95 will be in total darkness unless an event # in Map 95's script has a <FAI000# command. You'll also need to connect the last part of the door's transfer script to Map 95's <FAI event.

For example, <FAO0003<TRA0095:0010:0010:0093
This last part in blue will run event #0093 on Map 95, not Map 11.
<FAI0003<END on Map 95's script would allow the player to see what's happening in the next room.

Also, answering your older question about the '6000' flag, that's two flags put together... The 'Run event upon looking/speaking' flag (2000) & the 'Make this invisible after FlagID # is set' one (4000), both of which you want to use for your Life Capsule.

May 2, 2009 at 11:54 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Bad Beholder said:
For question 1, it sounds like you've set the door's event # to the Life Capsule event, #9052. Are you sure the door's event # reads #0765 (The map transfer event) in SW?

I am sure it reads #0765 as the event number for the door.

About the rest, I'm a little confused. What should I put in the scripts then? :(
All this coding is confusing me, sorry.

May 2, 2009 at 1:40 PM
I was positive for the TRA command the second set of numbers was for the event to run o.o

Make sure that your events in the script go in ascending order as well. I had some of mine out of order and the room skitzed out.

May 2, 2009 at 1:44 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Zephryl said:
I was positive for the TRA command the second set of numbers was for the event to run o.o

Make sure that your events in the script go in ascending order as well. I had some of mine out of order and the room skitzed out.

Oh, that's probably why. I'll check it out. I didn't know it made a difference. >_<
EDIT: Odd, when I try to go through the door, the game just crashes. I don't know what the cause is. Do you guys?

May 2, 2009 at 1:59 PM
ShellShocker said:
Oh, that's probably why. I'll check it out. I didn't know it made a difference. >_<
EDIT: Odd, when I try to go through the door, the game just crashes. I don't know what the cause is. Do you guys?

Ooh! Ooh! I know this one :( If it's a new map you're trying to link to make sure that 'No Special Boss' is selected. If that section is blank the game crashes.