WarfStory {Alpha 0.1.9.9} Release 3/27 (Smaller update)

What character should I introduce into the game next??

• Total voters
Jul 14, 2014 at 4:21 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Just a small update this time round.

WarfStory 0.1.9.9

WSTitle Screen.pngWSTitle Screen.pngss4.pngss5.pngss10.pngss11.png

EDITS

-Added intro sequence
-Fixed spelling errors
-Fixed healthbar flashing in intro

-Changed some ORG tracks (A slightly edited version of gestation and whale, i believe it was called...)
-Fixed missing sprite pixels in Save Point
-Added save point before Balrog resprite battle
-Made the Focus Beam's shoot animation look a little better
-Beginning a plot
-OFF

-Fixed more spelling errors
-Fixed mapping issue in Camp
-Fixed a few tiling errors
-Added... something. Not really an easter egg, since it isnt in the game. But you might be able to hear it...

-Made the camp more... Campy.
-Added Scientist NPC
-Shovel Brigade now have hard-hats.
-Made the cave better..?
-Energy walls in Pseudo Balrog battle no longer kill you.
-Text looks cleaner (In my opinion)

-Fixed more spelling errors
-Fixed a few mapping errors
-New Sounds!

-2 New Areas!!
-Added a shop (only one item available thus far)
-2 new fan characters
-Edited death script
-Shop
-Updated WarfMusic.exe

-Fixed unnecessary line breaks
-Use for Cat's Fang
-Added a new weapon
-Fixed "No" response when Zacharie asks if you want something.

Do post feedback, it helps motivate me.
Also, do tell any errors that need fixing, I'll try getting to them ASAP.

Enjoy~

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:32 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"

Alright, guess I'll give this a go. Nothing better to do anyway.

Everything wrong with the game:

1: After you start a new game, the text box sound plays and the Health/XP bars are visible for a short time.

2: "Press Z to jump..." You do know this can be remapped in the config, right? (Also, I'm using a controller)

3: A few missing pixels on the save station

4: Upon exiting Mark's House, (I assume?) the map name is "Camp". Not sure if it is supposed to be a camp of some sort, so I'll let that go.

5: Use <KEY when there are no enemies or things like that around. Stopping the parallax scroll while interacting with NPCs is odd.

6: You should add a few tiles so that it doesn't look all... blocky.

7: The colors in the ancient place look odd.

8: When investigating the Crystal Ball, there is a line break in the middle with no text.

9: "I brought you here to look, Not touch." Not should be lowercase.

10: "Good.Now that..." Put a space inbetween the period and "Now".

11: The text cuts out near here.

12: "Ever since we found it, it been radiating..." Change the "it" after the comma to "It's".

13: "The second thing, Is that capsule..." Remove the comma and change the "I" to a lowercase.

14: "similer" should be "similar".

15: "Remember... no touching anything." Capitalize the "n" in "no".

16: There's no <NOD before that Balrog resprite talks for the first time.

17: "I shall help you relize your power..." Uh, please correct that to "realize".

18: Ditto for the very next text.

19: Why does dying bring you so far back? You should add a save point after you enter the Ancient Hall.

20: After you "relize" your power and the boss fight starts, the boss should be positioned closer to you.

21: "Huh. That isnt right." Well, "isnt" should be "isn't".

And this, folks, is absolutely EVERYTHING wrong with Warf Story as it stands.

Now, I don't mean to discourage you, this mod is very nice, ignoring all that. I quite enjoyed the mod myself, and I haven't felt enjoyment like that in a long time.

Thank you for creating this mod.

EDIT: I wish you luck.

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:51 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Ehe, thank you.
I'll fix those as soon as possible.
I truly appreciate the input, and no, I'm not discouraged. Matter of fact, I want to try harder to put out a great mod, so I am grateful that you were thorough in your examination.

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Heh, I literally inspected everything multiple times
I couldn't sleep, but doing that sure tired me out

I guess it's a win-win

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:27 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Also, dying brings you so far back because, for some odd reason, I cannot get an H/V trigger to work to start the cutscene for the Ancient Hall.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I wish I could play this demo..

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
It seems almost unfair how little feedback there was on this mod, despite how impressive it is (In the context of its creation).

Let me just say for a first-time mod, this exceed my expectations far beyond what I thought it would offer, some for...different reasons.

It never occurred to me before that the title was referring to Mark himself, so when you said you were "making it for Markiplier" I expected it to be another generic horror or intentionally glitchy and random 'game' developed for the sole purpose of getting noticed by him. But instead, you made the mod as a tribute to Mark, and that's where you nailed the concept.

I have some minor criticism for the mod though, regarding what appears in-game.
- Some of the tiles could use some extra textures on the sides and edges of them, so that they look more like an environment, rather than a series of blocks.
- The Latin's very well used, and for the most part (that I could tell, but my Latin's very rusty). But, when the main villain is talking, when he says "vos oportet puniri", shouldn't the last verb be conjugated to be "punire"?
- During the boss fight with 'psuedo-Balrog' (I'm just going to call him that for the sake of convenience), it's possible to get thrown into the arena barrier, something that kills the player instantly, since getting thrown doesn't give you invincibility frames. Either lower the damage output of the barrier or use the assets from the actual Cave Story barriers used in-game, the ones that bounce the player back but dealing minimal damage. It seems you took a wall of spikes and re-skinned it. It works, but for the sake of being fair to the player I recommend doing the alternative.
- When Mark's 'inner power' is bestowed to him, the text should say "realized" instead of "relized".

I think this mod has a lot of potential now, more so than when I thought it would be some uninspired Youtube fodder. Mark's a bit easier on his game selection when the games are made about him, so I think you have a pretty decent change of having your mod played by the man himself.

Good luck.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:17 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
Nice to see that you were able to put out a demo of this! I decided to try it out earlier, and here's a list of what I noticed could use fixing/correcting:

-The HP and XP bars still appear for a moment upon starting a new game.
-In the intro sequence, "...mark..?" should be "...Mark..?".
-Things DO look a tad blocky, as other people have mentioned.
-The door that connects the Camp with the DigSite Tunnel kind of mismatches. The bottom half of it has a rocky outline, whilst the top half has a white outline.
-Unless it was intentional, DigSite Tunnel should be Digsite Tunnel. (the S should be lowercase).
-In the DigSite Tunnel, at the part where you have to swim through a decently sized water pool, if you try to hug the right wall of the entrance as you jump in, you'll end up getting glitched back on top of the wall. (it may be something to do with the little slope that's on top of it).
-This is my personal opinion, but it may help to have the characters who get zapped after you touch the crystal ball disappear with a poof of smoke instead of just disappearing. It'd be a little less jarring that way.
-You also may want to add a little tutorial upon getting the Focus Beam since you both made that "Z to jump" sign and haven't had to fight anything up until this point.

Other than that, and the lists previously given, it's looking promising. I hope it ends up getting finished.

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:00 PM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I really like this mod!
Especially the intro theme...ahh, that song is beautiful.

Other than what those nerds have posted already, I technically have no errors to report.
So, good job, Zenix! let us have a HALLELUJAH

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:17 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Ehe, thank you all very much.
I truly am trying my best, and i will be updating to a new version very soon.
But, uh... slight nooby problem. On the title screen, it says 2004.12 Studio Pixel
How exactly does one alter that..?
Eh... In any case, the updated version is ready for download.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It's been said that you can do it by changing the version number in the executable's properties (right click > properties or whatever) but I've never managed to get it to work. The alternative is using assembly hacking to brute force the values.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:49 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I've tried.
Well, i was using a hex editor... But i still couldn't manage to find where the text was located.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:52 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Actually, all you have to do is open up your game in Resource Hacker. Then, go to Bitmap > PIXEL > 1041. It's an image, so you'll have to replace the resource.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:58 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Oh.
I see.... Thank you.

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:15 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
WarfStoryD2

Seeing as I cannot come up with a definite version for WarfStory, I'm just putting this up as another demo.
I have built upon my last demo, adding new tiles, fixing a few kinks, and, of course, adding more gameplay.

ss1.pngss2.pngss3.pngss4.pngss7.pngss9.pngss11.png

I have been trying my best to put out a good mod, and I do hope you enjoy...

Also, post anything that irks you.
As well as feedback (preferably positive). It really does help.

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:57 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
only one thread please, just update the OP with any new download links

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:59 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Ah.
Okay.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:47 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
>Markiplier
HOWEVER.

As a mod, FIRST MOD, specifically, this is very good.
Not that I can actually properly judge aside from comparing to the work of others, seeing how my first mod isn't even done yet.

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:38 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
Nice to see that there's another demo for this! Here's what I took note of when going through it:
-In the intro, isn't "theorised" spelled "theorized"?
-In the intro, there should be a space between the ";" and "The Digsite" in "The explorers split up into three camps; The Digsite,".
-When the screen goes black after the intro, shouldn't "...mark..?" still be "...Mark...?"?
-In the "Camp" map, you can walk off the edge of the screen if you go past the building that the Professor Booster edit enters. The only way to escape this is to reset the game (to return to your last save).
-The beginning areas still seem a little blocky/repetitive.
-The door issue I brought to attention before is still there (the edges of the door in the building that connects to the Digsite being mismatched).
-Nice OFF reference at the end there.

Also, when making changes and adding new content, you may want to both add the updated version's link to the original post and say what was changed in your Edits spoiler.

By this I mean instead of just making a list of changes, the changes added in each update should be labeled, like the health and exp. bars finally being removed in the 2nd demo.

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:20 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Okay, thanks.
I wont make those mistakes in the future >m<"
And i'll fix those errors soon.