Volume button.

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:47 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
When I play Cave Story in windowed mode, clicking on the volume button causes some jarbled text to appear (I assume it's Windows not interpreting Japanese correctly). Is this an error or something? What does the japanese text say? Does this happen to anyone else?

Jul 9, 2017 at 4:14 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The same thing happens to me as well. My guess is that this is not so much an error with an individual computer as it is the fact that some of the features in windowed mode weren't really that polished or intended to be used much. As for what it says, that's for someone else to figure out.

Jul 9, 2017 at 4:16 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
When I play Cave Story in windowed mode, clicking on the volume button causes some jarbled text to appear (I assume it's Windows not interpreting Japanese correctly). Is this an error or something? What does the japanese text say? Does this happen to anyone else?
Yep. Basically It's attempting to load an old volume menu/application that's no longer supported on modern windows, and AGTP didn't translate the error messages.

There is a way to patch the game (courtesy of Noxid I believe) to translate the errors as well as fixing the volume so that it loads up the audio mixer. Pretty sure it's the default mixer you can just open along the bottom right of the windows panel anyways, but if you are really wanting it or something you could hit me up about the minor patch.

Jul 9, 2017 at 4:32 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
the fix is included in booster's lab hackinator, errors.xml
the only difference is the volume tray used to be called soundvol.exe and now it's soundvol32.exe so it can't find the program.