Various hacking/modding questions

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:48 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Okay, so I am almost extraordinarily new to hacking and modding. I haven't strayed very far from Cave editor, but I have quite a few questions, and don't feel like wading through ancient FAQ links that are mostly broken, searching elsewhere for answers, or making a thread for every one of them, so I think I'll just ask away here.

Question one; How, if at all, can you make it to where you have more than one Player sprite set? And how would you switch between those in the game?

Question two; How do you change the behavior of weapons? Can you completely revamp a weapon's behavior, or can you only mod damage, ammo and hit-box sizes? How many can a Player carry? Can you make more than just the 10 or so that came in Cave Story?

Question three; Can you use more than one tileset in a map? If so, how?

Question four; How do you make a custom boss?

Anyhow, that's about it I think. Thanks for your help. ^_^''

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:03 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Someone needs to lurk moar

aztectornado said:
Okay, so I am almost extraordinarily new to hacking and modding. I haven't strayed very far from Cave editor, but I have quite a few questions, and don't feel like wading through ancient FAQ links that are mostly broken, searching elsewhere for answers, or making a thread for every one of them, so I think I'll just ask away here.
*Cough*Cough*
{Gonna be brief with these questions, because they should really be easy to search for, as been already answered, or should be directed to the proper thread...}
aztectornado said:
Question one; How, if at all, can you make it to where you have more than one Player sprite set? And how would you switch between those in the game?
You can either use the Mimiga Mask, which gives you access to a whole new sprite set to use, or learn Assembly and work in more yourself.
I believe Runelancer talked about this in a bit more detail, the Assembly part, but you could probably Search Button it in a few seconds.
aztectornado said:
Question two; How do you change the behavior of weapons? Can you completely revamp a weapon's behavior, or can you only mod damage, ammo and hit-box sizes? How many can a Player carry? Can you make more than just the 10 or so that came in Cave Story?
Cave Editor allows you to modify the easy stuff like what you mentioned, damage, ammo, and such.
Anything else will require Assembly knowledge, but you can usually get help from other members, and they've made several threads on such things as specific weapon hacking.
Search Button, it's your friend.

aztectornado said:
Question three; Can you use more than one tileset in a map? If so, how?
You can use only one, but you could add more tiles to it and probably make a super huge one. {Make sure to follow the standard sizes for tilesets, if you make one that doesn't have the right width, expect horrible, Quote-devouring bugs}
Saving it as a 24-bit would probably allow you to have all colours and stick everything together.
If you didn't want to do that, then you could always try some Assembly :rolleyes:

aztectornado said:
Question four; How do you make a custom boss?
One word here:
Assembly.
No other way.

Anyways, you should direct your questions to the proper thread, next time. It's always being checked and answered, it's not an ancient FAQ.
Also, a lot of things have been answered before, you should try the Search Button sometime, or just read the thread I just linked you to.
{This will also probably end up merged with said thread}

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:05 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
This is a sticky

Probably the best place to ask hacking questions

You need this.

Also you need Olly.

1. For exactly two, Mimiga mask. More, a custom hack. A goal of my own, one of these days.

2. See Free Hacks thread. By the way, the answer to any "Can you do this" question is yes.

3. Technically yes? Work input / value of output ratio would be terrible though. Just make your tileset bigger, it can accommodate 255 tiles.

4. One [eax+74] at a time.

5. There's a reason not everybody has assembly hacks.

6. Lowell is a ninja

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:22 PM
Been here way too long...
1. Already dun it for my swimming hack nox, you want?
2. Refer to what void and conquistador said, or risk making me grumpy.

also, only hacking links that are broken are by shining, and you don' need those anyways coz of the compendium.

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:44 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
*Cough*Cough*
{Gonna be brief with these questions, because they should really be easy to search for, as been already answered, or should be directed to the proper thread...}

You can either use the Mimiga Mask, which gives you access to a whole new sprite set to use, or learn Assembly and work in more yourself.
I believe Runelancer talked about this in a bit more detail, the Assembly part, but you could probably Search Button it in a few seconds.

Cave Editor allows you to modify the easy stuff like what you mentioned, damage, ammo, and such.
Anything else will require Assembly knowledge, but you can usually get help from other members, and they've made several threads on such things as specific weapon hacking.
Search Button, it's your friend.

You can use only one, but you could add more tiles to it and probably make a super huge one. {Make sure to follow the standard sizes for tilesets, if you make one that doesn't have the right width, expect horrible, Quote-devouring bugs}
Saving it as a 24-bit would probably allow you to have all colours and stick everything together.
If you didn't want to do that, then you could always try some Assembly :rolleyes:

One word here:
Assembly.
No other way.

Anyways, you should direct your questions to the proper thread, next time. It's always being checked and answered, it's not an ancient FAQ.
Also, a lot of things have been answered before, you should try the Search Button sometime, or just read the thread I just linked you to.
{This will also probably end up merged with said thread}

Noxid said:
This is a sticky

Probably the best place to ask hacking questions

You need this.

Also you need Olly.

1. For exactly two, Mimiga mask. More, a custom hack. A goal of my own, one of these days.

2. See Free Hacks thread. By the way, the answer to any "Can you do this" question is yes.

3. Technically yes? Work input / value of output ratio would be terrible though. Just make your tileset bigger, it can accommodate 255 tiles.

4. One [eax+74] at a time.

5. There's a reason not everybody has assembly hacks.

6. Lowell is a ninja

Dang. Guess this might be a little harder than I thought, huh...? Ah well, thanks for your help guys.

Oh, and sorry for junking up the boards with a pointless thread like this. I should probably not be posting that late at night, yeah? (Stupid fatigue....)

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:13 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
aztectornado said:
And how would you switch between those in the game?
VoidMage_Lowell said:
If you're going this route, then you would equip/dequip the Mimiga Mask to change the sprite (TSC commands <EQ+0064 and <EQ-0064). You don't need to actually possess the Mimiga Mask in order to equip it.

aztectornado said:
How many [weapons] can a Player carry?
A player can carry up to seven weapons. If you don't mind glitches, they can carry an eighth weapon; I don't recommend this, though.

Noxid said:
...you only need Olly or an equivalent if you're doing assembly stuff.

Noxid said:
By the way, the answer to any "Can you do this" question is yes.
But there is a point where it would be easier to write your own game than hack an existing one. So that's not really a useful thing to say.[/url]

Last edited by a moderator: