Using a Wiimote to play Cave Story

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:10 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Has any one else used a wiimote to play Cave Story? It's an immensely satisfying way to play, for sure.

I mapped the buttons so that I played with the remote sideways.
1 and 2 buttons were jump and shoot respectively.
"A" was inventory.
+ and - were change weapons.
Home was Esc

The only problem was the "B" button. I originally had it mapped as the Map, but I keep accidentally pressing so much I had to just make it a useless button.

This is my first post and I'll probably mostly be a lurker around here, but the satisfaction of playing this game on a the wireless, simple wiimote was too much not to share.

Apr 16, 2007 at 11:36 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
o_o... I'm wondering how you got that to work cause that sounds pretty fun actually.

I usually use my PS2 USB adapter thingie so I can use my PS2 controller, but wiimote sounds good too.

Apr 16, 2007 at 11:49 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
my friends owns a wii and sorta liked the look of cavestory

maybe he will play it now if he finds out he can use his wii remote with it :D

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:27 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Very interesting concept Aubrey. I have a Wii and I'd be very interested in trying this. Is there an online tutorial for linking your Wiimote to play PC games? How did you set this up if you don't mind me asking. : )

-SkyeWelse

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:33 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
In case you guys got your hands on a remote...

I forgot to talk about the drivers, but if you didn't know, the wiimotes can act as a blue tooth device if you have the right drivers/programs.

You guys seem pretty knowledgeable, so I'm sure you can pick out the appropriate downloads from this page:

http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Wiimote

I use the Mac version, DarwiinRemote, and it works fine for everything I'd need in Cave Story.

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:47 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Sounds cool!
Do you use the gyroscope part as well as the normal buttons?
Like leaning it left to go left ect..

Apr 17, 2007 at 11:10 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Depends on your OS. There are Windows drivers that allow for Classic Controller ability, but the two that are for Macs don't appear to be able to at this time.

I like low-level stuff like that, it was a good read. :D

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:01 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
here's how I would do it (if I wasn't lazy):
Nunchuk: Movement, duh!
C:Map
Z: Jump
A: Fire
B:Fire
Left-Right on d-pad: Switch weapons
1,2,Plus,Minus:Menu and map, any configuration, really.
that would be so awesome!

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:20 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Excellent idea, TooManyBullets.
You lose a bit of the simplicity of just the wiimote, but your way probably would feel great as well.

Too bad DarwiinRemote doesn't allow mapping of the thumbstick yet.

And no, Daniel G, I don't use the motion controls because I don't have the knowledge to script those myself. Plus I'm not too sure of the utility of it for Cave Story.

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:13 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've also done this, used my wiimote to play cavestory =)... It was awesome. I turned it on the side like aubrey too, if only because the tilting was getting really annoying to try to play with.

The program I used was called GlovePIE, it worked really well, and it was easy to use the gyroscope to make little programs. It does have support for the nunchuk.

Dec 25, 2007 at 6:56 PM
happy_pill_
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
I have darwiinremote on my mac laptop and seems to be working except I have no idea how to map the wiimote buttons so I can play cave story... Can anyone help me out to figure it out?

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:41 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
happy_pill_ said:
I have darwiinremote on my mac laptop and seems to be working except I have no idea how to map the wiimote buttons so I can play cave story... Can anyone help me out to figure it out?
I just got Darwiinremote too. You can map keys to the Wii Remote's buttons in the Preferences under the tab Key Mappings.