Unused content general discussion.

Nov 8, 2019 at 10:34 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Nov 8, 2019 at 11:45 PM
"Huzzah!"
I only found these interesting
Capture.PNG
I agree, It seems there was supposed to be a tutorial for the game, I definitely prefer the idea of a starting area, its easy to learn that way anyways
Capture1.PNG
Curly being damage, it was probably planned for her to either: 1. have this animation for her fight 2. her to take damage/die in the labyrinth area where she assists you
Capture2.PNG
possibly another mission, maybe getting materials from enemies or from bosses, or chests guarded by bosses, I think that would be this guy, maybe:
Capture4.PNG
but his file name seems to direct towards another purpose
Capture3.PNG
I knew about this earlier on, I thought it was cute, but I wonder how you would have seen it if it was off screen...

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:57 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This thread just sounds as clueless as TCRF. We should just ask Pixel what it's all for in his BBS! :^)

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:00 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It's kind of funny that you just get shoved into the game without any totorial. Though, I have honk the 3ds version has a text box telling you the controls.
Edit: checked, I was incorrect.
As for curly, I never really considered those to be damage sprites! It does make more sense as curly is fought as a boss so, its weird to see her take no damage in the labyrinth.

Also, I'm wondering about these,
p371593-0-cavestoryfrog.png
p371593-1-cavestoryowl.png
p371593-2-cavestorypuff.png

The puff makes sense a little as the enemy it's based on appears once in the game.
the owl might have been a variant of the bat as it only has two frames and, is in the grasstown sprites.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 5:53 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The frog sprites work well with the grounded butes, so I could assume the butes used to be those frogs.

Nov 11, 2019 at 3:43 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I do wonder though, was the final boss any different in early development or was it always intended to be Misery -> The Doctor -> Muscle Doctor -> Undead Core? (And yes, I know that Ballos is the game's true final boss.)

Nov 11, 2019 at 4:17 PM
Stoned Member
I don't think you were ever meant to fight Misery in the original, it may have gone straight to the final Puu fight after the balcony.

The final puu fight honestly looks really fun, I wish Pixel would've kept it in the final game as a final balrog fight before or after misery.

Nov 12, 2019 at 3:47 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Pointless double post
On yeah I really would have liked to see that cool blade looking weapon
Also, the sprites for human she are loaded with possessed misery and she so, the ending might have been different.

Also
p371608-0-cavestoryprereleasecharactersprites.png

naked quote is cursed.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 10:55 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I don't think you were ever meant to fight Misery in the original, it may have gone straight to the final Puu fight after the balcony.

The final puu fight honestly looks really fun, I wish Pixel would've kept it in the final game as a final balrog fight before or after misery.

Perhaps there's a Cave Story mod out there that does exactly that? It's a shame that Cave Story modding hasn't advanced enough that you can fight multiple bosses at once. Then again, I wonder if the Ballos fight was always planned or if it was added in late in development?

Nov 13, 2019 at 1:15 AM
Stoned Member
It was added late into development, the entirety of hell was added because people felt Cave Story was 'Too Easy'

I understand how he feels. When people called my game piss easy during development I said fuck it and delayed it a month just to add a New Game + to it.

Nov 13, 2019 at 1:24 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I understand how he feels. When people called my game piss easy during development I said fuck it and delayed it a month just to add a New Game + to it.
NG+ really could've been the actual game mode itself if that weren't the case. Like, everything was more balanced out as a result, I thought.

Nov 13, 2019 at 12:18 PM
"Huzzah!"
What game if I can? One of the Harpy Gaiden trilogy?

Nov 13, 2019 at 2:57 PM
Stoned Member
This isn't a Harpy Gaiden discussion thread I'd advise you both try to be a bit more on topic.

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:22 AM
So was Puu Black supposed to be more important to the story? I'm sure he's only an optional boss in the final game. Then again, perhaps the Doctor was originally supposed to corrupt Balrog, turning him into Puu Black?

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:33 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I don't think the doctor was even a part of the original plot

Nov 18, 2019 at 1:59 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
By the way, I wonder if anyone has translated that video of pixel talking over the beta footag e?

Nov 18, 2019 at 12:55 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Found it, thanks