Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2012 at 1:09 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Alright guys, I just needed somewhere to rant for a while.

So recently, all the clubs and activities happening at my sisters' school were cancelled. All of them. They don't even get a graduation any more. And why is that?

Because the government didn't give them a raise.

One raise.

So all the teachers decide that the best course of action is to take it out on the students, because they think that parents will give in to the government and the government will cave and give them their raise.

But really, teachers are so lucky - they get around 90,000 a year, all holidays off, summer break off, they work less hours than most jobs, they get full benefits, raises up the ass and they still complain.

Where the fuck do they think their raises come from? The money that they get lowers the amount the government has to pay for important things, like health care. And thus, taxes are raised, health care suffers, and people lose their jobs. Once those teachers are fired, they'll have a lot more to worry about then getting a raise.

And don't bitch about "feeding your children," it's not like not getting a raise is going to cause you to live in a box for the rest of your life.

I know that a lot of teachers don't feel this way, and oppose the strike, and I appreciate that. But it's still ridiculous to see how the majority is treating students and taking their job for granted.

p157381-0-ttzed.png

I feel better.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM
LSD
"..."
I'm glad you feel better. I hope this situation turns for the best for you.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
they get around 90,000 a year
Really? It's probably totally different where you live, but I remember my math teacher telling the class that he wasn't even making half that amount.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:31 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
And teachers can't even get fired.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:33 AM
Professional Whatever
@COOL
This happened in Canada, and apparently teachers earn almost $30 more per hour than in the US. Although I'm not actually sure where you live so it may be different.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:49 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Yeah my teachers told me their pay wasn't the best. And I'm pretty sure teachers CAN get fired...? It has happened before.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:51 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
You can fire teachers whenever you want as long as they haven't acquired tenure, at least for any reason you'd fire a regular employee.
I don't think that's how schools work actually...

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:02 AM
Been here way too long...
The teacher's union is by far my least favorite part of being a Democrat.
Also my school isn't unionized because charter.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:10 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Yeah I don't really dig the vibe Teacher's Unions have going on now, it's too restrictive to make progress.
Not that I have an issue with Unions as a concept, but I think they could use just as much work as they people they request change from.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:25 AM
Banned
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Ikr? Isn't the government one big cheap ass? And fucking Obama is spending all our money on useless shit.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:29 AM
@COOL
This happened in Canada, and apparently teachers earn almost $30 more per hour than in the US. Although I'm not actually sure where you live so it may be different.
Not in public schools they don't. Nice attempt at a rant, but next time you should learn how schools work.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:37 AM
Professional Whatever
They still earn a pretty penny. My points are 1) why are teachers taking out their problems on students? No matter the situation they should never do that; and 2) they need to stop complaining when most other people have much worse working conditions than them.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:43 AM
Banned
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Captian fabulous, you don't need to make a point all the time, much less be an asshole about it. He wanted to blow off steam. You don't need to be a jerk about it. And insulting him will only build up more, and more, untill he cracks. (I guess) so hell go kits and do bad stuff. Im not shure he actually does that, but I do that, and im a normal person, so im guessing he's the same.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:48 AM
Professional Whatever
I wouldn't necessarily say I would "crack". I mean, it would bug me if I was insulted for no reason (or with reason for that matter), but it's always better to talk it out.
I honestly just wanted to get it off my chest. I'm open to other opinions, but ridiculing me because of one mistake in my argument is a bit childish.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:51 AM
They still earn a pretty penny. My points are 1) why are teachers taking out their problems on students? No matter the situation they should never do that; and 2) they need to stop complaining when most other people have much worse working conditions than them.
1) It's the only political power they have. If they want something they take it out on students until the gov't/board gives in. Not really justified but that's the reason.
2) Most of the teachers I've had have had to work multiple jobs because they get payed so poorly (and at my school p. much all of the money goes to teacher salary). Also that argument is a bit silly because there's almost always someone worse off than you, and that doesn't stop anyone from complaining.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:52 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I honestly just wanted to get it off my chest. I'm open to other opinions, but ridiculing me because of one mistake in my argument is a bit childish.

Given that it's the core of the issue (their pay being directly related to their strike), that one mistake cripples your entire argument basically.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:53 AM
Banned
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well, it doesent matter if it was childish. The important thing is the fact that you wanted to get it off your chest. Im glass you did though. ^_^

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:55 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
(I guess) so hell go kits and do bad stuff.
I don't follow what children these days do, say, etc. But what the flying fuck does that mean

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:58 AM
Professional Whatever
@Gir (and Lace)
I guess you're right. I still think it's ridiculous for them to use blackmail, though. There's got to be other ways to make their point other than ruining students' school experience. It's heartless.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:59 AM
Well, it doesent matter if it was childish. The important thing is the fact that you wanted to get it off your chest. Im glass you did though. ^_^
Well DERP, you're retarded and MagicDoors needs to remember that posting things on a public forum may have consequences.
Just getting it off my chest ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.