Tile Editor?

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:16 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
The most confusing thing I've ever dealt with.One question and I've mastered it:
How do you get a tile(water) into an area that normally doesn't have it( Grasstown)?

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:25 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
I've already told you.

Rename prtWeed.pbm to prtWeed.bmp. Open it in an image editor. Add a 16x16 water tile. Save. Rename it back to prtWeed.pbm. Open it in a hex editor. Add "(c)Pixel" at the end. Save again. Copy to doukutsu->data->stage and overwrite the old version (or rename it as a new tileset). Open that in the tileset editor. In the upper window select your new water tile. In the lower window select the water symbol. Press okay.

DONE.

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:35 PM
Lyger said:
I've already told you.

Rename prtWeed.pbm to prtWeed.bmp. Open it in an image editor. Add a 16x16 water tile. Save. Rename it back to prtWeed.pbm. Open it in a hex editor. Add "(c)Pixel" at the end. Save again. Copy to doukutsu->data->stage and overwrite the old version (or rename it as a new tileset). Open that in the tileset editor. In the upper window select your new water tile. In the lower window select the water symbol. Press okay.

DONE.
:( omg, that was confusing.... :confused:
Is there a simpler explanation for a techno fool like me?

Lol, funny how your the one who responds first every time, my sincerest thanks.

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:10 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Step one: Click twice, carefully, on the filename "prtWeed.pbm" inside the data->stage folder of Cave Story. This should allow you to edit the name. Delete the ".pbm" extension and type in ".bmp" instead. Press enter. This will change it to a bitmap image file.

Step two: Open up an image editing program such as, but not limited to, Microsoft Paint, Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, Paintshop Pro, etc. Go to file->open. Find the new "prtWeed.bmp" file in the Cave Story data folder. Select it. Press open.

Step three: You will notice this image is laid out in 16x16 pixel squares, where each square represents a tile in the Cave Story game. Find an empty 16x16 square and draw in the water tile using the pencil tool or the line tool or whatever you want.

Step three: Go to file->save.

Step four: Double click again on the file name and delete the ".bmp" extension. Replace it with a ".pbm" extension.

Step five: Open up "prtWeed.pbm" in a hex editor; you can search the forums for info on hex editors. Add "(c)Pixel" at the very end of the file.

Step five: Press the little floppy disk symbol. This will save your file.

Step five: If you moved it out of the folder, put the prtWeed.pbm file back in your Cave Story data->stage folder.

Step five: Open Sue's Workshop and load the copy of Cave Story you are modding

Step five: Open the tileset editor in Sue's Workshop.

Step twelve: Find your new Weed tileset. Select it.

Step thirteen: In the upper window, which displays your tileset, scroll down until you find your new water tile. Click on it.

Step fourteen: In the lower window, which displays symbols that represent tile physics, find the water symbol, and click on it.

Step ten: Press okay.

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:46 PM
Level 3 Blade said:
The most confusing thing I've ever dealt with.One question and I've mastered it:
How do you get a tile(water) into an area that normally doesn't have it( Grasstown)?
1) This thread belongs in the "Rom Editing/Hacking" forum, and any further questions you may have on modifying Cave Story should be posted there.

2) I'm sure this question has been answered many times on the forums already. Use the search function before you start posting new threads, to see if your question hasn't already been answered.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:16 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Did you number those steps 1-2-3-3-4-5-5-5-5-5-12--13-14-10 on purpose?

If you don't like the double-clicking on the filename to change it, you can also right-click and choose Rename from the contextual menu.

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:07 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Well I think theres some assumed piece of information that your brain just refuses to scrap...

Just to make sure you know, Tile GRAPHIC editing has completely NOTHING to do with the Tile Set Editor in Sue's Workshop.

Tile GRAPHIC editing is plainly done through the editing of the sprite sheet, or tileset sheet.

The Tile Set Editor in Sue's Workshop only lets you edit the properties of the tiles in the tileset sheet.

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:17 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Yeah, a supposed solid block can serve as a water tile too.