This one weird mobile version of Cave Story I played

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:02 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
This is actually what got me intrested in Cave Story. it all started when i got this multi platform emulator for android called Retroarch.
here is its icon:
p217775-0-mfywt7qpnt6wa2vgh1fb0bfaz2si4brcnwv53hiu9lr1zpe6tjmp7amxzc7hy2wffldw300.png

it supports things you would expect from a multi platform emulator, like NES, SNES, Genesis, etc.
it also supported other, less common things, like the Playstation, Doom and Quake engines, the wonderswan color, Virtual boy, arcade machines, the neo geo pocket color, something called "dinothawr" (i'm not sure if this is the name of the emulator or what is is emulating), the atari lynx and 2600, portable network graphics (png) images for some reason, and of course, the NX engine.
here is the ROM selector:
bcomp
bcomp
Screenshot_2016-07-01-20-55-53.png
one thing of note is that you can choose the button layout. by default, it is something akin to a ps3 controller, but with no sticks. in the screenshots i am using the SNES layout, because it is the most efficient for cave story.
  • A=shoot
  • B=jump
  • X=the only button that does nothing
  • Y=map (it is also of note that you can accses the map with this button even before you get the map system in mimiga village)
  • L+R=change weapons
  • Start=inventory
we will get to what Select does later.

the first difference you will notice is that when you select 'new' or 'load' you will be taken to a file select screen, with five slots, shown here:
Screenshot_2016-07-01-20-54-14.png
the other main difference occurs when the Select button is pressed. an options screen appears, where you can change the max framerate to 50 or 60 frames per second, and disabling the music and/or sound effects.
here is the options screen:
Screenshot_2016-07-01-20-55-02.png
another very small thing i noticed is that the font if different.

this is the first version of cave story i played. the rom it uses is the game executable.
i was actually able to get very far, all the to the last cave, in fact. i couldn't make it past, and i still cant. mostly due to the fact that i have to use touch controls.
when i gave up on the touch controls and started playing the original version, i was surprised by these things not being there.

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:29 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This is very weird man. Is the game completely the same except for the few differences. Also, is it possible for you to link me to the emulator and the Cave Story game? I would love an android version.

Jul 2, 2016 at 1:39 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
What you've been playing is NXEngine, an open source rewrite of the original Cave Story. NXEngine has been ported to many different platforms, and it's also been added to Libretro (The emulation collection that makes up stuff like Retroarch).

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:48 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
This has been known for a million years now, as I use RetroArch to play Cave Story on my Android-based devices.

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:02 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I actually really like this port. A bluetooth controller and my phone is my way of playing Cave Story on the go. Since my phone has much longer battery than my PSP and the 3DS version gives me god awful hand cramps.

Mar 8, 2018 at 2:17 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
How do you change the button layout

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:06 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Contributing to spammy posting (off-topic, lack of content, etc)
im gay

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:12 AM
that is not how to change a damn button layout

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:19 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Mar 14, 2018 at 3:47 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
He was responding to this:
I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be in the retroarch settings, but then again, even if it were in there, what amount of use would that serve, if any?

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:49 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
well maybe you could turn it on or off

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:49 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
He was responding to this:

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be in the retroarch settings, but then again, even if it were in there, what amount of use would that serve, if any?
Fair point. The game’s unplayable without a controller anyway

Mar 14, 2018 at 11:16 PM
I tryed that but i does not show a menu to change it.
I mean how to change the touch screen buttons like from psx to snes

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:47 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
This is actually what got me intrested in Cave Story. it all started when i got this multi platform emulator for android called Retroarch.
here is its icon:
p217775-0-mfywt7qpnt6wa2vgh1fb0bfaz2si4brcnwv53hiu9lr1zpe6tjmp7amxzc7hy2wffldw300.png

it supports things you would expect from a multi platform emulator, like NES, SNES, Genesis, etc.
it also supported other, less common things, like the Playstation, Doom and Quake engines, the wonderswan color, Virtual boy, arcade machines, the neo geo pocket color, something called "dinothawr" (i'm not sure if this is the name of the emulator or what is is emulating), the atari lynx and 2600, portable network graphics (png) images for some reason, and of course, the NX engine.
here is the ROM selector:
bcomp
bcomp
View attachment 3155
one thing of note is that you can choose the button layout. by default, it is something akin to a ps3 controller, but with no sticks. in the screenshots i am using the SNES layout, because it is the most efficient for cave story.
  • A=shoot
  • B=jump
  • X=the only button that does nothing
  • Y=map (it is also of note that you can accses the map with this button even before you get the map system in mimiga village)
  • L+R=change weapons
  • Start=inventory
we will get to what Select does later.

the first difference you will notice is that when you select 'new' or 'load' you will be taken to a file select screen, with five slots, shown here:
View attachment 3156
the other main difference occurs when the Select button is pressed. an options screen appears, where you can change the max framerate to 50 or 60 frames per second, and disabling the music and/or sound effects.
here is the options screen:
View attachment 3157
another very small thing i noticed is that the font if different.

this is the first version of cave story i played. the rom it uses is the game executable.
i was actually able to get very far, all the to the last cave, in fact. i couldn't make it past, and i still cant. mostly due to the fact that i have to use touch controls.
when i gave up on the touch controls and started playing the original version, i was surprised by these things not being there.
I got really excited and then I saw that it was just RetroArch :(